“Not Kid-Friendly”

Ranked #164 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Not Kid-Friendly”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I booked with the James because of their "Lil James" kid-friendly claims and location. The location did turn out to be great!I have a toddler son that constantly travels with us and its nice to find a place with a few perks for him. This was not the place as advertised. Once our crib arrived to our room we discovered the mattress did not fit the crib and no crib sheet or special blanket (per website) were provided. No kids menu at the restaurant. No carseat offered. No space to play. Big disappointment as far as being kid friendly. If you're looking for a place to stay without the kids this would be an option...but not my first choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank Ab L
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Ab L,

I wanted to personally apologize for the lapse in service you experienced regarding our lil’ James program. It’s a new program we launched and has room for improvement. We are taking your feedback very seriously and I truly appreciate your patience and consideration. Just to clarify, some of the items (e.g. jogging stroller, car seat, etc) are arranged upon request. We will work to streamline the process and hope you are open to another opportunity for us to show you a true James experience. Thank you again.

Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great if you want to be in SoHo. Just remember that SoHo is very far south - so for tourists Chelsea or Midtown might be better. Unless of course you are about nightlife, in which case this would be a good choice.
Rooms are nice but nothing special. They have that annoying glass bathroom with the huge shade that goes up and down. I happen to hate that. The outdoor areas (there are a few of them making this very unique in NYC) are lovely and almost worth the price of the hotel. There aren't too many choices in the area - and this is a good one. It did seem a bit nondescript and boring but besides the glass bathroom had no issues with it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheJames_NY, Guest Relations Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear kristinAkron_Ohio,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay. It’s unfortunate that you did not appreciate the peek-a-boo shade in the bathroom but I’m glad you found other qualities of the hotel enjoyable. Our Urban Garden and rooftop plunge pool are features that make us unique. Thank you for considering us a preferred choice in Soho. We look forward to your next visit.

New York
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We selected The James Hotel for its location and I'm glad we did. It was within walking distance of most of the places we had on our list. The staff went out of their way to make sure all four of our rooms were on the same floor. The views from our corner King studio were amazing and our one bedroom apartment had plenty of room for our family to gather in before we headed out to dinner or shopping. We loved our stay and would definitely choose The James when we return next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Mr. James L
Dear Mr. James L,

Thank you for choosing The James for your recent visit to New York. I’m very happy to hear that your family found comfort here. The warmly modern aesthetic and expansive windows allow for unbeatable views and natural light to pour into each room. We would be ecstatic to host you on your next visit to New York. Thanks for sharing about your stay.

Manhattan Beach, California, USA
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I always stay mid town and this trip I wanted to shake things up so I booked 4 nights at The James. I booked it because I love the area and always end up down here for dinners and meetings.

I checked in on the second floor and loved the layout of the lobby. It was around 5PM and they daily happy hour was going on in that area. They bring out wines and cheese plus some crackers and other treats. I think it's a great way to unwind and meet people. Loved it.

I went to my room and they had given me a corner room facing the freedom town that was small but very nice. The bathroom was just great with a view of the city from the tub. Nice!

I think if I stayed a little bit longer, I might upgrade for more square footage, but this worked fine.

Staff was so nice and by the time the next morning rolled around, they called me by name. I like that personal attention. Who doesn't???

The area is typical SoHo and such fun to walk and discover. Great trendy shops with tons of bars and restaurants within walking distance. if you haven't stayed down here, grab a seat on the subway and walk around. Your coolness factor rises with each step you take.

I tried to book the hotel on my last trip and it was sold out, so maybe I'm on to a great property.

I'll try again.

Room Tip: I had a corner and it was a bit larger than most.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peterisacksen
TheJames_NY, Guest Relations Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Peterlsacksen,

So great to hear about your recent stay with us. I definitely agree with you on the neighborhood. Soho is vibrant without the hustle and bustle of Midtown, glad you found comfort here. The James Club daily amenities are also another one of my favorite features. We use the wine hour to feature local vineyards. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Thank you for the review.

London
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a super friendly hotel in a great location with many great bars and restaurants close by. Chic hotel rooms with great storage space and delightful bathroom products to wake you up! As a tourist you can easily get to Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge and jump in a cab to access Midtown and further north. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank C E W
Dear CoWil,

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Being in the heart of Soho is unbeatable so it’s great that you were able to enjoy our location. I’d also have to agree with you on the luxurious environmentally-thoughtful bath amenities. Thank you for taking time to write a review. Until your next stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2013

On my last to visits to NYC, I've had to forgo staying at my all-time fave NYC hotel (Trump Soho) due to avails...and have found a nice little gem in the James NYC. This boutique property has a distinctive style that really gives it a true feeling and character seldom found in NYC properties. My most recent trip was a week long stay for work.

PROS:
--extremely friendly and accommodating staff
--spacious rooms with a nice design. Contemporary. Clean lines.
--HUGE windows and no views of a building wall (my biggest pet peeve in NYC)
--location is convenient to most things
--they believe in added value. Complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings. Complimentary coffee and scones in the morning.
--food was quite tasty. Good selection. Of course overpriced...but hey--it's NYC. What do you expect?

CONS:
--indoor common space is small...the lobby area is the size of a small library. So, if you're wanting to meet and mingle, but indoors, may not have much option besides the restaurant
--I was a bit disappointed in the cleanliness of my room when I checked in. They were at capacity the day before, and I think they rushed cleaning. I had to have them come back and do some things over...but they were very accommodating
--thin walls...you can hear everything going on in the hallway, and that's with people speaking at average volumes. I didn't run into issues sleeping, but I was also VERY tired every night.

Overall, a nice 2nd choice for a soho/tribeca area stay. I definitely recommend the property

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, aim for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear ATLHotelLuva,

Thank you for taking time to share about your stay. I apologize for the housekeeping oversights and am happy you left with a general positive impression of the hotel. It’s great that you felt the unique personality the hotel draws from vibrant Soho/Tribeca. Your recommendation is deeply appreciated and we hope you return soon.

Brisbane
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Well priced hotel for the service and room. I stayed in a king room and it was well maintained and great amenities. Staff were very helpful always friendly and location is fantastic :-) room service was quick and meals were hot and high quality! From the doggie treats outside it seems pet friendly too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Rebecca2388
Dear Rebecca2388,

You were right, The James is very pet friendly! Thank you for choosing us for your recent visit to Soho. I’m happy you were able to find comfort in the warm ambiance of our hotel. We would be delighted to host you again in the future and hope you return very soon.