“Way downtown in SoHo”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #195 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I always stay mid town and this trip I wanted to shake things up so I booked 4 nights at The James. I booked it because I love the area and always end up down here for dinners and meetings.

I checked in on the second floor and loved the layout of the lobby. It was around 5PM and they daily happy hour was going on in that area. They bring out wines and cheese plus some crackers and other treats. I think it's a great way to unwind and meet people. Loved it.

I went to my room and they had given me a corner room facing the freedom town that was small but very nice. The bathroom was just great with a view of the city from the tub. Nice!

I think if I stayed a little bit longer, I might upgrade for more square footage, but this worked fine.

Staff was so nice and by the time the next morning rolled around, they called me by name. I like that personal attention. Who doesn't???

The area is typical SoHo and such fun to walk and discover. Great trendy shops with tons of bars and restaurants within walking distance. if you haven't stayed down here, grab a seat on the subway and walk around. Your coolness factor rises with each step you take.

I tried to book the hotel on my last trip and it was sold out, so maybe I'm on to a great property.

I'll try again.

Room Tip: I had a corner and it was a bit larger than most.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peterisacksen
TheJames_NY, Guest Relations Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Peterlsacksen,

So great to hear about your recent stay with us. I definitely agree with you on the neighborhood. Soho is vibrant without the hustle and bustle of Midtown, glad you found comfort here. The James Club daily amenities are also another one of my favorite features. We use the wine hour to feature local vineyards. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Thank you for the review.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a super friendly hotel in a great location with many great bars and restaurants close by. Chic hotel rooms with great storage space and delightful bathroom products to wake you up! As a tourist you can easily get to Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge and jump in a cab to access Midtown and further north. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C E W

Dear CoWil,

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Being in the heart of Soho is unbeatable so it’s great that you were able to enjoy our location. I’d also have to agree with you on the luxurious environmentally-thoughtful bath amenities. Thank you for taking time to write a review. Until your next stay.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

On my last to visits to NYC, I've had to forgo staying at my all-time fave NYC hotel (Trump Soho) due to avails...and have found a nice little gem in the James NYC. This boutique property has a distinctive style that really gives it a true feeling and character seldom found in NYC properties. My most recent trip was a week long stay for work.

PROS:
--extremely friendly and accommodating staff
--spacious rooms with a nice design. Contemporary. Clean lines.
--HUGE windows and no views of a building wall (my biggest pet peeve in NYC)
--location is convenient to most things
--they believe in added value. Complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings. Complimentary coffee and scones in the morning.
--food was quite tasty. Good selection. Of course overpriced...but hey--it's NYC. What do you expect?

CONS:
--indoor common space is small...the lobby area is the size of a small library. So, if you're wanting to meet and mingle, but indoors, may not have much option besides the restaurant
--I was a bit disappointed in the cleanliness of my room when I checked in. They were at capacity the day before, and I think they rushed cleaning. I had to have them come back and do some things over...but they were very accommodating
--thin walls...you can hear everything going on in the hallway, and that's with people speaking at average volumes. I didn't run into issues sleeping, but I was also VERY tired every night.

Overall, a nice 2nd choice for a soho/tribeca area stay. I definitely recommend the property

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, aim for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear ATLHotelLuva,

Thank you for taking time to share about your stay. I apologize for the housekeeping oversights and am happy you left with a general positive impression of the hotel. It’s great that you felt the unique personality the hotel draws from vibrant Soho/Tribeca. Your recommendation is deeply appreciated and we hope you return soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Well priced hotel for the service and room. I stayed in a king room and it was well maintained and great amenities. Staff were very helpful always friendly and location is fantastic :-) room service was quick and meals were hot and high quality! From the doggie treats outside it seems pet friendly too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rebecca2388

Dear Rebecca2388,

You were right, The James is very pet friendly! Thank you for choosing us for your recent visit to Soho. I’m happy you were able to find comfort in the warm ambiance of our hotel. We would be delighted to host you again in the future and hope you return very soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The James hotel has an enviable location in Soho, within walking distance of all the shops, bars and restaurants in the area, close to TriBeCa and West Village, and steps away from Canal St station which can get you pretty much anywhere.

It's a modern hotel, opened about 3 years ago, and has some nice touches whether you are on business or, like us, on holiday. We spent a week there recently, and it was an amazing experience.

Our room was on the 17th floor, with amazing view of the Hudson across to New Jersey. Very comfortable room, with everything we needed. There was a well stocked bar (at minibar prices) robes, and an exceptionally comfortable bed. The bathroom had a glass wall with a curtain that descends at a flick of a switch and a large walk-in shower.

One small downside was that we were directly below Jimmy's (see below) and at the weekend there was the faint sound of music above and lots of banging of doors outside (the floor seems to be an access for staff going up and down).

The 17th floor is also where the gym is located with great views across towards the East River.

It's the little touches that make The James special. Complimentary filtered water and ice in the room. Helpful and friendly staff.

The James club is an area in the Sky Lobby (light, glass walls, comfortable, relaxed) where guests can sit and read the papers and have complimentary coffee and fresh pastries at breakfast, fruit during the day, and cheese and (very nice) wine in the early evening. It was great to have the option to get coffee in the morning, whether sitting and planning our day, or 'grabbing and going'.

We didn't make use if the hotel's two restaurants during our stay, as there are so many in the area, but they looked pretty good.

Now, onto the perhaps the biggest draw. The rooftop pool and bar. The views are simply stunning. You can just spend time sitting and looking across to the Hudson in one direction, towards The WTC in another, and across the city towards Manhatten bridge in another.

The pool itself is a great addition (we were there in summer during the humid heat) but be aware that it has restricted hours. At 4.30 the staff ask guests to start vacating loungers ready for opening of Jimmy's (the bar) which is open to the public. That's okay - we didn't come to NYC to sit by the pool, but it's worthwhile knowing this so you don't plan on a refreshing dip after a hot day's sightseeing. Best to go there in the morning when it's open before heading out.

Also, while we were there, at the weekend it was opened for a a very busy pool party. Not much room, lots of people strutting and a DJ playing loud music. All exciting stuff and very Soho (if a bit reminiscent of a Spring Break).

After 5pm, the rooftop area is transformed to Jimmy's, the bar, which itself has amazing views out towards the Empire State building. It gets very crowded, as can be expected with these views and location, and the drinks err on the expensive side (plastic glasses of course - we are on the 18th floor), but the bar staff are experienced and you don't have to wait long.

The James is a great hotel in the heart of Soho. It's both relaxing and vibrant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We were so impressed that we've booked to stay at The James Royal Palm for our next visit to South Beach Miami in March.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better the views, just be aware of the 17th floor potential for noise from...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheChris_Morgan

Dear TheChris_Morgan,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay to New York. It’s great that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities that make a true James experience. Your attention to detail is appreciated. The details are where we strive to perfect. We’re very proud of our little sister property, The James Royal Palm, so hope you have an equally luxury liberated experience.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

As close to perfect as possible. Amazing room, fabulous view, superb location.I dined at each location on the premises and every experience was memorable. I will be back (very very very) soon!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ms. Vanessa B

Dear Ms. Vanessa B,

Thanks for choosing The James for your trip to New York; we’re so glad you enjoyed your stay. David Burke Kitchen features a seasonal menu so hopefully you’ll be able to return soon for a different but equally memorable meal. Until your next visit.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The rooftop swimming pool is wonderful, at least while it is open for the season.
But the service has been terrible.
When we arrived in the room, which was an apartment suite, three bulbs didnt work, one of the two TV sets didnt work, and the speaker for ipod or iphone and music didnt work (the latter was never fixed). In the living room there was only one naked bulb, without any screen, like in a prison cell (at our request another lamp was added, but the naked bulb remained there for the four days),
One day we went to swimming in the pool while left some coffee and juice from the breakfast for our return, but it was taken away. Meanwhile, the room was not done, beds, etc. At my request, more coffee was served, but the last day they pretended to charge an entire extra breakfast,
Another day one of the bathrobes was also taken away, which made our visit to the pool delayed for hours. On Sunday, the elevator to the rooftop was blocked still at 11am. At 6:30pm the room was not yet done.
As the last day we had breakfast in the restaurant, the order was mixed up (sausage for bacon, no bread).
My impression is that the staff doesnt care at all; they might be working there just for a little while; may it be that this carelessness has become typical newyorker?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Hello b,

It is regrettable and unfortunate that you had such an atypical experience. If you would like to privately further discuss your stay, I welcome additional feedback at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com.

Best regards,