“3 days with James”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #180 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 20, 2013

As close to perfect as possible. Amazing room, fabulous view, superb location.I dined at each location on the premises and every experience was memorable. I will be back (very very very) soon!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Ms. Vanessa B
TheJames_NY, Guest Relations Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Ms. Vanessa B,

Thanks for choosing The James for your trip to New York; we’re so glad you enjoyed your stay. David Burke Kitchen features a seasonal menu so hopefully you’ll be able to return soon for a different but equally memorable meal. Until your next visit.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The rooftop swimming pool is wonderful, at least while it is open for the season.
But the service has been terrible.
When we arrived in the room, which was an apartment suite, three bulbs didnt work, one of the two TV sets didnt work, and the speaker for ipod or iphone and music didnt work (the latter was never fixed). In the living room there was only one naked bulb, without any screen, like in a prison cell (at our request another lamp was added, but the naked bulb remained there for the four days),
One day we went to swimming in the pool while left some coffee and juice from the breakfast for our return, but it was taken away. Meanwhile, the room was not done, beds, etc. At my request, more coffee was served, but the last day they pretended to charge an entire extra breakfast,
Another day one of the bathrobes was also taken away, which made our visit to the pool delayed for hours. On Sunday, the elevator to the rooftop was blocked still at 11am. At 6:30pm the room was not yet done.
As the last day we had breakfast in the restaurant, the order was mixed up (sausage for bacon, no bread).
My impression is that the staff doesnt care at all; they might be working there just for a little while; may it be that this carelessness has become typical newyorker?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Hello b,

It is regrettable and unfortunate that you had such an atypical experience. If you would like to privately further discuss your stay, I welcome additional feedback at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at The James, and it mostly lived up to my expectations. The first visit was three years ago when they had first launched. At that time, the food and beverage operation was yet to open, as was the garden and rooftop pool. They have since opened these and added further services, such as a courtesy car service for the local area. So this was a return full of excited anticipation.
As per first visit, the door staff do not offer to take your luggage – I'm still confused by that, but no big issue. They direct you to the next floor where you check-in. This is friendly and welcoming (although the comment, "You're staying for one night only" seemed unnecessary. I'd actually booked for a 2nd the day before. Perhaps it wasn't displaying in the system yet). As a morning arrival, the room wasn't ready yet so I was invited to help myself to their complimentary pastries and coffee in the sun-drenched lounge area, where you can read papers and have the use of two Apple Mac desktop computers. At midday, reception called to inform me the room was ready – two hours before the nominated check-in time.
Some attention to the issue of hotel guests accessing Jimmy, the rooftop bar in the evening would be a step in the right direction. After 9pm, hotel residents must use a different elevator to reach Jimmy. God help you if you happen to leave your room key with the (superb) hostesses in the bar. Because the doorman below will refuse to believe you. As a result, you are unable to enter your room, unable to retrieve the key which is 17 floors above with the bar staff. You are effectively stranded. And the doorman is not interested in your explanation.
Now, the best thing about this hotel is that – built from the ground up, and with no neighbouring buildings of equal height – you get a decent view of the Manhattan skyline no matter which room you're in. I was on the 16th floor (so no noise from the rooftop bar) and, despite being the entry-level room, was afforded magnificent views up 6th Ave, down Tribeca and across the Hudson. Full height windows emphasise the panoramic views. The rooms have a decent height and this really enhances the rainforest shower in the well-proportioned bathroom, complete with Intelligent Nutrients cleaning products. The bathroom and generously-sized bed are definitely my personal highlights of The James. The complimentary wi-fi, plus morning pastries & coffee/ evening cheese & wine define this establishment’s premium credentials. Its location, at the quieter end of SoHo, bordering onto Tribeca, is ideal. And, whilst it is just beginning to show signs of wear (and someone else's hair in the bath towels), I will continue to return. Thanks for a mainly pleasant stay (4.5/ 5).

Room Tip: Request higher floors for that ubiquitous Manhattan skyline view, but not 17th (unless you want to b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank nomad_class

Dear nomad_class,

I wanted to personally thank you for choosing The James again. First and foremost, apologies for the inconveniences you experienced at the rooftop, housekeeping oversight, and lack of luggage assistance. That is very atypical but taken very seriously. I will review your sentiments with the team. I am, however, very happy to see that you left with an overall positive experience. We look forward to your return. Thank you for the feedback.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I spent our first night as husband and wife at The James. We didn't have time for a real honeymoon so we decided to make our wedding night special with a night at The James. It was perfect! From the ride to City Hall (my husband dropped our bags off at the hotel before our ceremony and got a lift from the car service the hotel offers), to the warm greeting when we arrived (everyone is SO friendly) to the virgin mojitos at the pool (made special for me since I can't drink - I'm pregnant!), to the complimentary non-alcoholic champagne-like beverage delivered to our door with a note congratulating us on our marriage, to the incredible service at dinner (with a to die for toffee/chocolate bread pudding for dessert!) we were made to feel special. We loved the decor and the whole vibe of the hotel. The beds are super comfortable and the bathroom shower a highlight( I even loved all the products like the soap and shampoo -- green and eco-friendly!) It all felt luxurious and wonderful. We only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, Guest Relations Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Adelaide,

Congratulations on your marriage. It’s so gratifying when guests choose to share special occasions with us. I’m proud that our team left you with such a memorable stay. The Toffee Monkey Bread from David Burke Kitchen is my absolute favorite dessert so I completely agree. Best wishes on the years ahead and we hope you return to celebrate each anniversary.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We recently returned to The James as our hotel of choice. The people traveling with us with work stayed elsewhere, however we stayed here last year with our son and had the best time. The people are very polite and helpful. The property is beautiful and tucked in a nice area. We will be back again! Thank you to the manager Kristina for making our stay AWESOME!

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: get the corner king!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear alidonovan,

I wanted to personally thank you for continuing to choose The James. I will definitely relay your compliments to our team, especially Kristina. Your recommendation means a lot of us. It would be our pleasure to continue being your hotel of choice. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was looking for a way to celebrate my birthday last weekend, so I decided to stay at the James Hotel again. I loved it last time. This time was even better. I think they just renewed the beds or something. They were awesome. I loved the wine in the lobby in the evening. A nice start to the evening. The person at the front desk was super nice knew the area. I got put into a room on the 15th floor and the view was great! Im a little disappointed i didnt get to eat the David Burkes Kitchen. I wish i stayed longer.

Room Tip: North facing rooms look uptown and the view is great!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Sara F,

Happy Belated Birthday, glad you had a memorable celebration here in Soho. The James Club wine and cheese served in the evening is one of my favorite amenities offered. You’ll have to return to dine at David Burke Kitchen. Their seasonal spin on comfort food and Chef Burke's whimsical aesthetic results in a truly unique experience. Thanks for the feedback. Until your next visit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I called ahead to mention it would be a birthday celebration for my daughter. After being mislead on the website that the hotel had a Lil James package we were expecting tickets to the Childrens Museum, Paul Frank pyjays and whoopie cookie turn down. What we got was shrugged shoulders claiming no knowledge of the above. Time to update the website! The room was gorgeous but it wasn't until we had showers that we saw big black clumps of hair all over the shower and bathroom floor. There was also black hairs all over the bed. (We are a family of blonde hair). The rooftop bar was closed for a function, so no trying the famous "Old Fashioned". The pool gets busy from opening time 8am and smokers delight in the rooftop pool. Staff were models with no check in skills. When I asked for our room to be cleaned I was told "But you are checking out this afternoon?" On the website it states twice daily room cleaning and since our room was NOT CLEANED IN THE FIRST PLACE, I did not think this was too much to ask! The overnight staff are way more efficient. The day time staff looked good but had no knowledge on the area. There are two bikes for use, you need to book these as soon as you check in as they are popular. They offer an in house chauffeur which I booked, and then confirmed a second time by phoning the front desk, for a 9.30am pick up. When I went to the lobby I was told the chauffeur had taken another ride and that he would be knocking off at 10am and we'd have to find our own way to the High Line. Again, do not confirm the booking if you cannot follow through. The rooms are stunning but the wood floors are showing serious signs of wear and tear for a hotel that has only been open for two years. The David Burke kitchen is amazing, staff are wonderful, cannot praise this restaurant enough. It is set in one of NYC's best rooftop gardens. The two operating lifts are slow. People going up and down to the rooftop get preference over hotel guests. The waiting area is lovely with complimentary wine, cheese, grapes and mini scones and coffee in the morning. The wifi is fast and there are complimentary computers with printers in the main lobby. I have to give this hotel one star because of the clumps of black hair... it still makes me dry reach just thinking about it!

Room Tip: If your room is on a higher floor you will have noise from the bar JIMMY which is often rented out f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Emily M
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

It is regrettable that you had such an extreme negative experience. Please feel free to reach out to me directly with additional comments or to further discuss your experience at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com.