“A great stay in NYC”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #181 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the James and were both very happy with our stay. We stayed in a King corner studio and the room was gorgeous. I love the decor, and the see through bathroom! (there is an electric blind that you can lower for privacy). The service was great: it was his birthday so upon checkin we had complimentary champagne and cake, and they also accommodated my request for a room on the highest floor available. They provide coffee and scones in the morning and wine and cheese in the evening. The views and the hotel are beautiful. It's close to the subway so it's very easy to get around the city. Staying in Soho is a great way to experience the city, but avoid a lot of other tourists. We'd love to come back on our next stay!

• Stayed: January 2013
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Anna R,

Thank you for staying with us on your visit to New York. It such a pleasure when guests choose to come and celebrate their special moments with us. You pointed to a great detail that makes The James truly special, our location in Soho. It provides any visitor with authenticity yet is teeming with shops and eateries. I would also have to agree with you on the Corner King Studios; the views are unbeatable. Again, happy birthday to your boyfriend! We would be happy to welcome you back, until your next stay.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I like The James' location and the uncluttered, yet warm and sophisticated decor! I LOVE their committment to offer a wonderful blend of environmental conciousness with a luxury feel! That is hard to achieve. Everything is effortless and at your fingertips. The staff is genuine and caring. The James New York has become my favorite place to stay whenever in New York. Keep it up.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear jamaustrian,

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share about your stay here and for writing a glowing review. I couldn't be happier that we were able to exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service and on the uniqueness of our property. I’m extremely proud your interactions with our team members left you with such a positive impression. We look forward to serving you again the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2013

What distinguishes this hotel is the quality of the staff - which is exceptional. The location (edge of Soho) is good although the most immediate environs are not brilliant. The entrance is small and not too prepossessing but, once one takes the lift to the lobby, one can relax. The lobby is small but comfortable (complimentary coffee and scones from 0600 to 1100, water and fruit from 1100 to 1800, wine from 1800 to 2000, and cookies thereafter). The basic (i.e. Queen) rooms are adequate but the superior rooms (i.e. King) are good although clothes hanging space is limited. The bed is excellent and the bed linen very comfortable. The wifi is free (but tends to drop occasionally). Breakfast is served in the basement restaurant run by David Burke, and is rather disappointing (or, at least, was disappointing on the only occasion that I went there): there is little or no atmosphere at breakfast and the subterranean location does not help. My omelette was decidedly tired. (A short walk from the hotel will bring several places where breakfast is good: particularly Balthazar in Spring Street). The gym is good. I recommend this hotel despite the minor criticisms mentioned above - as I began, the staff are quite exceptional.

Room Tip: Choose a King corner room on and above the 9th floor. The rooms at the corners have excellent light...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear GvKI,

We pride ourselves on how we take care of our guests, I’m glad to see that our team’s hard work has shown through. They are truly our greatest asset; I will be sure to relay your kind sentiments. It is also wonderful to see that you enjoyed the complimentary amenities served at The James Club Sky Lobby and I sincerely apologize for any lapses in service you experienced at the restaurant. I would welcome another opportunity to endear you to the hotel and thank you for your patience and consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2013

A great NYC choice for business or vacation. Upgraded to a corner king which is still small but terrific finishes (hardwood floors, heated tile, good lighting) and finally a room with a view in the city! Staff are shockingly friendly and helpful. The whole place feels like you're staying in someone's apartment (wine in the lobby, coffee and pastries, free wifi). Superb location for SoHo restaurants and subway access. A winner.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear MI_Vintner,

I wanted to personally relay my appreciation to you for taking the time to share such a kind review. It is great to see you point to some of the features that make The James truly special, including our prime location in vibrant Soho, the tasteful guestroom aesthetics and amenities. I am most proud, however, of our team for making you feel welcomed. Thank you again. Until your next stay.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

As frequent traveler with a life time of Marriot points, I must say The James is another good reason why not to use Marriot points at least when staying in New York City. From the time you walk through the doors, The James and it great team including Christy, Jessica, Louis, and CK all lead by an exceptional executive management team, truly make you feel like you are at home in the middle of one of the most unique and incredible neighbors in the world, So Ho. Now, add the David Burke Kitchen with David’s amazing Porter House for two, the coolest drinks like the Honey Badger, the Concierge service and this is one hotel I am sure you will be coming to time and time again. Great work to this exceptional customer focused team - you clearly have found the right recipe both in style and people! My wife and I just can’t wait to come back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at The James for 8 or 9 nights so we came to think of the hotel as our home. I must admit at first I was a bit concerned about the size of our room. I get that NY was always going to be tight for space but we didn't have a lot of room for our luggage (that could be us though...2 large suitcases for a 5 week trip). Having said that, this was our only concern. The staff, the facilities,the room, the decor, the lobby...it was all perfect. And we loved being in such a nice neighborhood. Away from the tourist areas of Midtown but in the heart of great shopping, eating and entertainment. The David Burke Kitchen was a real highlight for dinner as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joelenegoesonline
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear joelenegoesonline,

Thank you for taking the time to share details of your recent stay with us. Though a bit tight on space, I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the warm modern ambiance of our guestrooms, in addition to our prime location in vibrant Soho and David Burke Kitchen. I am proudest of our team though for leaving you with a positive impression.they are our greatest asset. Again, thank you for providing feedback. We would be delighted to serve you again the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

From check-in to departure, our experience at The James was fantastic. The hotel is located in the perfect location. Close to shopping and restaurants - located in a real New York City local neighborhood. The hotel design both in and out is just perfect. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. We were lucky enough to get a room on the 16th floor with amazing views of Manhattan through the large floor to ceiling windows. We checked in late and had not had a chance to eat dinner so we ordered room service. It arrived in record time and was absolutely delicious. The staff was very professional and friendly - making us feel welcome.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear DMH-TJK,

I wanted to personally express my appreciation to you for taking time to provide such a positive review of your recent stay. Our team members are our greatest asset so thank you for acknowledging their hard work. I am very happy to see you were satisfied with room placement (views from the 16th floor are truly unbeatable) and the warmly modern guestrooms. Your kind sentiments will also be relayed to the In-Room Dining team. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.