“Macy's Parade”

Ranked #164 of 468 Hotels in New York City
USA
“Macy's Parade”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was our first visit to NYC with our four teenage grandchildren. The purpose was to visit NYC and view the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. The staff wasover and above the call of duty in helping us with the logistics of setting up to get a great viewing spot. The time, 6:00 am was a little early, but necessary to pick your spot. Rooms were ready when we arrived at 8:30 am th morning before the parade. Very convenient, very clean, and a very friendly staff. We WILL stay here on our next NYC>

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear jjf998,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review. It is wonderful to see that The James had a hand in making your first trip to the Big Apple an unforgettable experience, especially with a smooth check-in process to prepare you for an exciting day. Our team members are our greatest asset so thank you for acknowledging their hard work. I truly appreciate you sharing about your first stay and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Warm regards,
Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Well we arrived in NYC with great anticipation to stay at the james. I had read reviews in magazines and online. It was a second trip in 18 months to NYC previously staying at the Crosby street hotel (which was fantastic.) This hotel should be fantastic, but the staff let it down. The only staff member to acknowledge us in our 8 day stay was Jessica.
The concierge were too busy watching TV on there computers or speaking to each other to welcome you or bid you goodbye, asking for a cab was met with you can go on the corner and call one. Alarm bells should of rung when I tried to organise restaurants by email this was to become a two phone call chase up from Australia as it seems Luis could not get back to me with my requests and questions. This was finally fixed up and yes we did get our reservations.
Cleaners took my washing without consent only for the staff not to know where it was (finally found) Every night we were asked for turn down at 6.30 and every night we said that we were going out at 8.15. Clearly 6.30 would be the most obvious time when people are getting ready to go out. The cleanliness of the room was average, we did find squashed M&Ms behind the curtian.
The location for this hotel is fabulous with wonderful views, however it is only 3 years old and is feeling the test of time.
I may have had my expectations set a little bit high coming off a wonderful stay at the crosby the previous year. My Husband and I came away from this experience, thinking it was so close but yet so far...... a little bit of staff training would help.

1 Thank Maree C
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Maree C,

Thank you for taking time to share details about your first stay. It is incredibly regrettable and unfortunate that we missed the mark in exceeding your expectations, especially in creating a first impression. I sincerely apologize. We rarely receive negative feedback about our team members but will not take your feedback lightly as they are our greatest asset. I'd be happy to continue this discussion in private at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com and gain further insight We would certainly welcome another opportunity to endear you to the hotel.

Denver, CO
Reviewed November 26, 2012

From the moment you walk in the door, the service and friendliness of each member of The James staff was exemplary. Our room on the 15th floor was quiet, beautiful, very clean, and had great views down to the river. I can't say enough about the friendliness of everyone we met here. All of them genuinely made us feel so welcome to be here. We were here 4 nights for an event at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn and it was an easy commute there as well. We're looking forward to our next stay.

1 Thank iubekster
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear iubekster,

Thank you for such a great review. I am elated that you enjoyed your stay so much with us. It’s great that our team could accommodate and make you feel welcomed. We are very proud of them; they are our greatest asset. It’s also wonderful that you got a chance to enjoy our uniquely modern ambiance. Thank you for taking time to share about your stay. We hope to welcome you back the next time you find yourself in Soho.

Co. Down
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We've just stayed at The James for almost a week and loved it. The hotel is very clean, modern, well decorated and the rooms well appointed. Staff are all very helpful and friendly. The location is great too, with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants nearby. A subway stop is available closeby. We were given a local map with all the shops, bars and restaurants on. It was a lifesaver on a few occasions! Navigation not being one of my strong points. The room itself was nice and as mentionned by previous reviewers the bathroom and its vanity screen was quite a novelty! The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Plenty of fresh water available and a turndown service. My favourite perk of the hotel was the little treats available in the lobby. At breakfast there was coffee and scones, fresh fruit and water in the afternoon and wine, cheese and crackers in the evening. What a great idea!
We used the rooftop bar on several occasions and loved it too. Stunning setting, good cocktail list and attentive staff. Our only criticism was re the David Burke Kitchen, but I wouldn't let this cloud my rating of the hotel. For breakfast, Le Pain Quotidien on Grand St offered a nice selection of pastries, breads, eggs and oatmeal. For something more, Balthazar on Spring St also enjoyable.

1 Thank Fiona M
Dear Fiona M,

Your kind words about The James are much appreciated. It’s great to read that some of our services stood out to you, including our warmly modern rooms, our location in vibrant Soho, and the complimentary pastries, coffee, wine, cheese, and cookies served throughout the day in The James Club Sky Lobby. I would also have to agree with you on the view from JIMMY – it’s unbeatable. We look forward to serving you again.

Warm regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have to write that the doormen Felix and Mike were an amazing help today when no cabs would actually agree to take me to a Newark Hotel near the airport. God bless the doormen as they kept trying to help me! I even got into two cabs who kicked me out, one of which took me, thought I was going to the Newark airport and 5 blocks into the trip when he found out I was going to an airport hotel instead, turned me around and dropped me back at The James. Mike was just getting off shift when he went above and beyond by offering the option of commuting with him home to Jersey on the subway/bus and his wife would pick us up at the other side and personally drive me to my destination. Amazing. But it gets better - a colleague named Mimi, graciously gave Mike her car so that he could drive us to Newark instead. Now that's going above and beyond for your clientele. Thank you so much Mike, Felix and Mimi for leaving a very positive impression and actually caring about my predicament :) Much appreciated! It's nice to know there are genuinely good people out there!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank schmer
Dear schmer,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay – our team’s hard work comes into fruition when we receive feedback as kind as yours. We strive to provide a luxury liberated experience through genuine service and I’m proud we left you with a good impression. Mike, Felix, and Mimi are wonderful assets to our team and will appreciate your kind sentiments. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Soho. Thank you again.

Warmly,
Yardley
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Met my BF from high school at The James New York this week overnight and had a fabulous time!

The hotel is really beautiful and located in a great area of Soho. Walking distance to so much. The room was very fun with the ceiling to floor windows, glass bathroom (with vanity screen that can be electronically lowered from the bathroom) and super comfy beds/pillows. It's a very "green" hotel and beautiful architecturally.

The staff were so accommodating and there for our every need. Assisted us in finding the places we wanted to go with maps, how to get there and room service was ridiculously fast.

Jimmy's on the rooftop is a classy, fine time with a stunning view at night. David Burke's Kitchen was delicious for breakfast but our waitress was unacceptably slow and moody. We were the only ones there besides one other table that was leaving when we arrived and we waited almost 30 minutes to pay our bill after eating. Our only complaint.

Overall, it is the 5 star hotel that was recommended to us by many and it did not disappoint minus the breakfast service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank playallday
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear playallday,

It’s wonderful that you found such an enjoyable reunion and girls’ getaway during your stay with us. You pointed to some great features that make our hotel truly special, including the luxurious beds, warm yet modern design, environmentally-conscious details, and JIMMY rooftop bar. I apologize for any service lapses you experienced at the restaurant – I will be sure to relay your feedback to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing Soho getaway.

Best regards,
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Lovely Hotel in Soho. Our room was delightful, with a modern design, very comfortable bed and pilllows and the shower was fabulous with large shampoo, conditioner and bath gel dispensers. The hotel location is close to many restaurants, bars and great shopping boutiques. One of favorite pubs nearby, the Broome Street Bar has great affordable food and drinks with history and charm. The service at The James was impeccable, from the front desk staff, housekeeping and bellman. One of the amenities I loved was the triple filtered water supplied in room and refreshed daily, what a nice perk! I loved our stay and will visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor for a better view!