“Good Location”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #195 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The James Hotel New York is located in the midst of Soho, a short walk
to Chinatown and only steps to the subway.. great position. We stayed for ten days, the hotel itself was great fun and friendly, the young staff were delightful and we were happy to see that they catered to pets, we met many (large) dogs in the lift and elsewhere around the lounge. The outdoor restaurant was good as was the pool on the roof which had fabulous views of the city and was usually full of beautiful people partying (there's an adjacent bar). However the rooms were ordinary, immediately upon arriving we upgraded from a queen to a king sized room. Even the king room was small; this was not a five star experience, nor could we sleep very well, there was continuous banging on the roof just above us. Although we loved much about the Hotel I doubt we'd return, after busy days in NYC we wanted quiet, luxury and comfort and we found this when we moved uptown to "The Pierre".

Room Tip: As there's little space around the bed in a queen size room, I'd suggest you book a king roo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joyjoy28
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear joyjoy28,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy many of the wonderful features of our hotel that make it truly special. It is regrettable that our guestrooms did not deliver a restful night’s sleep and that you felt its aesthetics were not a right fit. We certainly welcome another opportunity to endear you to our hotel and hope you consider us the next time you're in Soho for a well-deserved night’s rest. Again, thank you for the review.

Jeff Hentze

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed a night at the James after losing power at home during Hurricane Sandy and can't say enough good things about this place.
The service was very warm, the room was gorgeous, the vibe was great and the rooftop bar and restaurant are terrific.
If you need to spend a night at a hotel in the Soho area, check this place out - it's a treat for the senses.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor so you get great light and views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nyc345

Dear nyc345,

Thank you for such a kind review – your recommendation is deeply appreciated. We strive to provide a luxury liberated experience to all guests and to have you feeling welcomed and taken care of during a challenging time means even more to us. We hope to welcome you back under celebratory or leisure circumstances. Thank you, again.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is such a disappointment. The rooms are ok, we have a Corner Queen with a great bed, nice bathroom but it's not a five star room experience, rather a 3 star+. The view is ok but not super impressive. The location is great, no doubt about it.

Ok, hotel itself is nothing special at all and I've stayed at a quite a few. Now we have the service - hallelujah, TOTAL FAIL. Don't expect anything more than the ordinary. The staff is nice but not trained in a five star fashion, rather a two star.

Check in: I arrived by time for check in and had asked for a high floor room. I was told it was going to take an hour so I said ok. After 30 minutes i was told it was going to take 2 hours so I skipped the high floor. My girlfriend (who hade made the reservation) arrived in the evening. She was told the room was already occupied and then there was that little, but still clear, hint that maybe she was a call girl. No one said that but the way she was treated was to hear discriminating (here we have a woman who has travelled the world and never has experienced anything like that)

Getting an adapter: I had forgotten an adapter and asked for one. They were all occupied by guests I was told but "soon" I would get one. I had a board meeting and needed computer as well as mobile (which I explained) and needed power. If it was urgent I was asked to walk five blocks to buy one (It was snowstorm in NY this day) After two hours and several calls still no adapter. I was now running out of battery and had to stop the conf call. I was upset now and called back but no reaction. When I 15 min later was furious, called and asked them to send someone "to buy 20 adapters for the hotel and I pay for them" it was some action. First when I offered myself to buy for the hotel I got an adapter. Wow, what a five star treatment.......I was calm and really nice up until then.

The remote: After having to stop the board meeting due to no power I thought I watch some tv. does the remote work? Of course not.......and remember we're talking about a five star hotel

The hotel manager: I called the hotel manager but he didn't seem to care at all to be honest.

The James is a hotel that can charge high prices just because their location. I can never ever recommend anyone to stay here unless you need to get really upset. It's an ok hotel but for the same money you can have a really really nice experience somewhere else

Room Tip: Try asking for a high floor but don't expect it....just dont go here :-)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Hans E
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear HasseE,

Thank you for taking time to share details of your recent stay. The experience you had is very atypical and it is highly regrettable that we missed the mark in leaving you with a positive impression. I apologize that our security protocol left your girlfriend uncomfortable but guest security is of utmost importance to us; we are open to reviewing our approach. Luxury liberated and genuine unobtrusive service drives the experience we strive to provide and it is unfortunate you did not find it a right fit. I’d like to gain additional insight and invite you to continue this discussion with me in private by e-mailing me at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com. Thank you for providing a review.

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I chose The James New York because of its location and interior design. It was my first time in SoHo and took a chance based on TripAdvisor rankings.
And what a great choice!
Service: Michael the bellman was great for tips, recommendations and solutions! The hotel provides a free car service, and Rick the driver was more than accommodating.
Room: Appreciated the eco-friendly features like water in carafes instead of plastic bottle, Intelligent Nutrients toiletries in refillable containers (personal-sized version upon request). Unfortunate that housekeeping changed my towel and bed linen though. The power strip is a thoughtful gesture that a world traveller like myself appreciates.
Loved the bathroom shade!
Food: breakfast at David Burke Kitchen sets a wonderful tone for the day! (Dinner was the most flavorful and satisfying I had on this trip as well.)
Location: SoHo's the best place to explore in NYC!
And these are why am coming back to The James for more.

• Stayed: November 2012
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear homewardboundmanila,

I wanted to personally thank you for your amazing feedback of The James New York. I am thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay and truly appreciate you sharing details about your time with us. We strive to provide all of our guests with a luxury liberated experience. I’m glad that we were able to provide you with the relaxation you deserve and a satisfying meal at David Burke Kitchen. Michael and Rich will appreciate the special mentions as well. We look forward to serving you again. Until your next stay.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nicely decorated hotel and staffed with excellent employees.

The rooms feature many light modification functions. Great views on the upper floors. The food catering by the restaurant kitchen is also excellent.

ik and JJ
iljalon@aol.com

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear ILJA K,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay. I am glad you appreciated the warmly modern guestrooms, unique ambiance, and genuine but attentive guest service. I will be sure to relay your kind sentiments to our team members. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This will be our Hotel of Choice in Manhattan for all future visits. Nothing was less than exceptional, in terms of Location, Quality of Accomodations, and Cleanliness; however, two areas this Hotel stands out in are Service and their Rooftop Bar/Pool Area, not to mention their Star Restaurant and Green Terraces. My wife and I have often found, some of smaller, boutique Hotels, simply try harder, and The James does that and more. The James is the type of accomodation that leaves you trying to change your Travel Plans to stay just one more day!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelersMMMM

Dear TravelersMMMM,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to write such a kind review. I am incredibly proud of our team to have made you feel welcomed and taken care of. You pointed to many great features that make The James truly special: our genuine unobtrusive service, David Burke Kitchen, the Urban Garden, and JIMMY rooftop bar. It would be our pleasure to continue being your preferred accommodations when visiting New York. Until your next stay.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Visited couple of times since opening. Seems to me that it's following the typical pattern: start of great, get popular, than develop attitude and stop listening to feedback by guests. After sending in a serious complaint after horrendous stay to GM, all I got was a one line reply by assistant front-desk employee and USD 50 to spend on food on my next stay?! No way! I would say, brace yourself for the party weekends, not being listened to and overpaying. Better value for money to be found nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Palomino020

Dear Palomino020,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay – it is crucial for us to hear from returning guests. It is highly regrettable that we missed the mark in exceeding your expectations and additionally delivered a recovery that left you dissatisfied. I assure you that we sincerely value guest perspective and review feedback on a daily basis. I’d like to gain additional insight and invite you to continue this discussion in private by e-mailing me at jamesnygm@jameshotels.com. Again, I apologize you left with a negative impression. Thank you for providing a review.