“Very Friendly, Helpful Staff, Great Location”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #177 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I just stayed 4 nights at The James. The staff's warm and welcoming attitudes make this hotel. We would like to give special recognition to Chris, the big guy at the front of the hotel. He was an absolute ray of sunshine, extremely helpful, and so friendly.

We liked the hotel because it was modern, and well maintained, and has so many tucked away areas that feel like a green oasis in a city full of concrete and steel. The bed was very comfortable, great view from our windows, and great location for shopping, restaurants, and access to adjacent neighborhoods.

Will absolutely consider staying here again while visitng NYC.

Gail Seay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gail s
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear gail s,

I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The James. It’s definitely one of the major features that make our hotel so special. To be near all of the shopping, restaurants, coffee shops, and sites of Soho is hard to beat. More importantly, I am very proud to read that our team made you felt welcome. Your kind sentiments will be relayed back to Chris. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay.

Jeff Hentze

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Thank U for making our stay in NY so memorable. We couldn't have asked for anything more. It was the staff that made the the most difference, laid back yet so aware and service minded - thank you! The location is also superb.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hannetl

Dear Hannetl,

Your kind review is greatly appreciated. Thank you for pointing to two features that make our hotel truly special, our prime location in one of New York’s up-and-coming area Soho and our team members. Both are unbeatable assets and I am very proud you left with such a positive impression. Thank you for taking time to write the review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Very cold atmosphere even though the very polite and helpful staff makes you feel welcome.

The concierge (Morgan) will do her best to make your restaurants reservations.

The room size was ok (I had a King Deluxe) but for this type of room, you expect a larger surface. And again, it’s not cozy at all.

The rooftop bar needs a BIG refurbishment and was not clean at all.

A simple anecdote: the 1st day of my arrival, I needed to smoke.
I had my cigarettes on met but no light. I went to the reception to ask for matches (or a lighter to borrow) they did not have any, went to the restaurant same thing, then went to the bar…no matches no lighter…I mean come on (how do you light you candles?!)! I know that it’s a non-smoking building but a 5 stars hotel could at least have matches or anything that would help you light a cigarette since they have a special terrace where you can smoke! At the end, one of the bellman was kind enough to go to the next-door pub and brought me matches.

Anyway as an overall experience it’s certainly not a 5 stars hotel but an ok 4 stars.

Room Tip: Watch out for the room that are right under the rooftop bar. Might be noisy.
1  Thank Ray-bech

Dear Ray-bech,

Thank you for taking time to share details of your stay. It is regrettable that we missed the mark in exceeding your experiences. It is incredibly atypical that we receive less than positive feedback regarding our team members but your sentiments will be relayed back to the team. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced in attempts to retrieve matches and completely understand your frustration. Thank you for your feedback; we look forward to future opportunities to endear you to our hotel.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just got back from a weekend at The James. I was greeted very warmly by the hotel staff...they promptly stored my bags, issued me two tickets for a welcome cocktail ...and promised to call when my room was ready...which they did. My room was a king corner, and the views were fantastic!! My bed was super comfy, the shower was spa like..I could have stayed all week!!
The only problem as another review commented on..was the service and attitude on the rooftop bar...felt pretty much ignored, but I will just skip that next time:)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear katy22,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share about your stay. I am extremely proud to read that our team left you with a positive impression. Your kind sentiments will be relayed back to them. And I would have to agree with you; the Corner King guestrooms are unbeatable with their views of lower Manhattan. I apologize for the service lapses you experienced in JIMMY, we hope you will consider Treehouse bar or David Burke Kitchen on your next visit. Again, thank you for the feedback. Until your next stay.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The James is in a great part of the city, a lot more relaxed than the usual hot spots in Manhatten but still really close to some great bars and restaurants and fantastic shopping. From the moment we arrived the service (in the hotel) was exceptional and felt very personalized. The only let down in the service are the staff at the rooftop bar who were generally disinterested and made you feel they were doing you a favour letting you drink there. That said it was still a nice place for a late afternoon drink, particularly facing the north and watching the Empire State and Chrysler buildings light up at sunset. We stayed in a King corner room and although a bit small it was really nicely finished. It was nice to be able to open the windows to get some fresh air in and they did a great job blocking out the city noise when closed of an evening. Yes it's pricey but not a huge amount more than the big 4 star chains and well worth paying a little extra IMHO, would definitely stay again.

1  Thank Clouttsy
TheJames_NY, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Clouttsy,

We truly appreciate the feedback and kind review. We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service and on the uniqueness of our property. You pointed some wonderful features we have: I would have to agree with you on our hotel’s unique location, it is vibrant yet undemanding. Both JIMMY rooftop bar and the warmly modern rooms have exceptional views. I am very proud that our team left you with such a positive experience. They are our greatest asset. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and thank you for the recommendation.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The James for five nights in September. The Hotel is nice enough, but the price tag is beyond what you get for the money. We paid $500 a night, so when the bathroom sink clogged (and stayed that way) for two days and I had to repeatedly call for hand towels (all this AFTER the room had been made up) I began to think we made a mistake. Also, the bar on the roof has become popular and on Saturday night we could hear the party up there until well after midnight. The staff is friendly enough, especially the door men. The continental breakfast is nothing more than two (pump) thermos coffee dispensers and a plate of small scones. We had to ask the staff when the coffee and scones were gone, which was quite often. They also advertise that fresh fruit is served every afternoon....this is a bowl of oranges or apples.
We probably would not choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Just stay away from the 17th floor (the bar)
2  Thank Macmusey

Dear Macmusey,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. It is regrettable that we missed the mark in exceeding your expectations. The James Club Sky Lobby is a complimentary amenity of light refreshments we offer guests but continental breakfast is available in the full-service adjoining restaurant, David Burke Kitchen. Guest comfort is of utmost importance to us so please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced. I am, however, very proud to read that our Front Desk team left you with a good impression. Thank you for the valuable feedback. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The James Hotel in Soho is perfectly located. Walking distance to so many great restaurants, the Hudson River, The Highline and always very easy to pick up a cab. The doormen on the front desk were always super helpful and gave so much detail with directions and recommendations. The hotel itself was always spotless and clean and our room was an exceptional size corner suite. The addition of the roof top bar was funky and provided great views over New York. A touch on the expensive side, however the hotel did tick all the boxes.

1  Thank Yallingupkk

Dear Yallingupkk,

I wanted to personally reach out to thank you for the kind review. Our location in the lively Soho area and our team members are two features that make our hotel truly special so I am very happy you were able to appreciate both. I would have to agree with you on the area, the variety of restaurants, galleries, and retail is unbeatable. Our Lobby Assistants will also appreciate the special mention. Thank you and until your next stay.