“Overrated”

The James New York
Ranked #143 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

The hotel is nicely design, decor and very good location but I think is overrated from what it really is. Rooms are small too clouded with furniture not much space for clothes we had to keep our clothes on suitcases as not much space on wardrobe. Airconditioning failure too noisy impisible to sleep with that noise. Roof terrace was nice lovely views but then again way to small that was a swimming pool for me it was a bath tube. They had a useless handsome safeguard up there which he just was so into himself that he foegets to do his job. We asked him for towels and a place to sit and he just turn said we don't have any and there he went. How can they give preference to pple who are not staying in the hotel than the actually guest. Pool was full with drunk teenagers at 3pm u can't go up to the roof terrace cos is pack with pple as they open the bar and roof terrace to every one. At 11.15 on Sunday night we came back and we wanted to go up to have one drink in our hotel and the light would just not take us up to there as 12.00 the bar closes but we could see drunk pple being send up from that useless security guy with walkie talkie. Anyway reception guys were very nice and friendly as porters and room tendents. But yeh I think is just overrated for price u pay u deserve much more it should be 3 star hotel rathern than 4. Cheers.

• Stayed July 2012
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear MisterMP,

Thank you for taking time to share the details of your stay. I’m sorry that you didn’t feel The James was a good fit for you. I completely understand your frustration and your sentiments will be relayed back to our Team. However, I am happy to read that some members of our Front Office team left you with a positive impression. We really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your unique guest perspective. And thank you for your valuable feedback; it will allow us to continue to grow and improve and ultimately give our guests as experience that exceeds expectations.

Jeff Hentze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with my husband and 7 month old baby. We loved everything about this hotel. The chocolates in the room at night and the wine & cheese and cookies in the lobby are all nice touches. The hotel staff and the manager are all so amazing and helpful. The rooms are very nicely decorated as is the hotel lobby. I like that is hip but not overly trendy. I also threw my husband a birthday party on the roof at Jimmy and everyone had a great time. The drinks at Jimmy are pricy ($17 each) so my bill was very high but this is no different then any other NYC hotel bar. We also went to David Burke for dinner and breakfast and enjoyed the restaurant.The location is beyond perfect as we love visiting the stores and restaurants in Soho. We will be coming back to this hotel again soon as it has been one of our favorites in NYC.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear MiamiNYC422,

Thank you for staying with us here at The James. I am very appreciative for the amazing review you wrote. It’s such a pleasure when guests have so many wonderful experiences to share. Experiences like enjoying our modern and luxury liberated atmosphere, our stylish and comfortable rooms, the complimentary wine and cheese that we service in the James Club Sky Lobby in the evenings, Jimmy rooftop bar, and David Burke Kitchen. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back next time you make your way to New York City.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

My stay here was paid for by my employer. Room was small (typical for NYC/Europe). Didn't get a chance to try restaurant/room service, but other fellow travellers did and had only good things to say (ditto for the pool/work out rooms on site). In room mini bar was great -- local offerings of food and booze. Pillows/bedding were incredibly comfortable -- wish I had the same at home. Very nice location near unique shopping opps and Metro/subway stations. Had trouble a couple times getting a taxi back to the location -- because traffic in the area at rush hours can be *bad.* Nice people work here ;-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear lipsticktraces,

Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent stay with us. It’s great to read that the warmly modern rooms and Pantry amenities left a positive impression on you. I have to agree with you on the bed; it is incredibly comfortable. Perhaps you will be able to experience our pillow menu and in-room dining options as well during your next stay. In addition, thank you for sharing photos of our James Club Sky Lobby; it was very well-captured. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

In March I had a trip to NYC that was 80% scarred by my hotel choice. The other 20% was caused by missing my flight thanks to being in the longest US Customs queue in history so I made sure that my next stay in NYC would be in a decent hotel. The James more than delivered.

The service - from the moment I was greeted by Christopher and Eric at the door, to the speedy response to accomodate a last minute restaurant reservation, to the super fast room service, the nice surprise chocolates at each turndown service, never was ever interrupted rudely by the housekeeping staff, the amazing amenties from the triple filtered water topped up every day, complimentary coffee & danishes in the lobby every morning, wine & cheese in the afternoon, and super convenient location to Soho, it's worth coughing up the extra bucks to stay at this place. Will definitely be back for my next trip to NYC!

My only complaint is that the aircon was noisy at times in my room (309) from time to time there would be intermittent taps in the air con system whenever the automatic system switched itself off. After my horrendous experience at The Best Western President Hotel (thermostat wouldn't work, leaked into the carpet, hot water wouldn't work one night, zero noise proofing, and this was after 2 room changes) I was willing to put in the earplugs and just overlook it.

Advice - I noticed that on my up to Jimmy, the rooftop bar that the DJ music was very audible from the 9th floor in the elevator. Not sure if it was just because the noise came through the elevator shaft but I would advise to stay on the lower floors, I couldn't hear any traffic besides a very distant siren early in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors, Queen room is good for one person with lots of shopping bags but may be cr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear SF5,

Thank you for taking time to share the details of your recent stay. I am elated to read that our staff and wonderful features left a positive impression on you. Our Team is our greatest asset so we take much pride in them. The James Club Sky Lobby complimentary amenities, warmly modern rooms, and our location in the energetic SoHo area are details that make our hotel special so thank you for noticing. We will look into the issues you experienced with your room. Thank you again for the kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to NYC.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great views in SoHo, excellent roof top bar/pool. Near a metro line, many restaurants and bars near by. When you stay here, bring out your designer labels.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room looking into downtown.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Quique02,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking time to write about your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you were able to enjoy many of the great features of our unique property, including the rooftop bar & pool. Great observation in regards to The James ambience – it certainly reflects and embodies the vibrant neighborhood in which we are located, the fashion-forward and art-centric SoHo. Thank you again; until your next stay.

Best regards,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The James Hotel was such a wonderful find. The rooms are modern and give more of an apartment feel than hotel room. We had amazing views and a large window line. I can't say enough about the service at the James. Everyone I came across was so friendly and helpful. You were greeted EVERYTIME you come and go. The staff is so accomodating and you can tell they love what they do. The manager, Mark was very gracious and kind. When I arrived there had been a problem with my room, but they already had it resolved before I arrived and took great care of me throughout my stay. The girls at the front desk (Amy and Jessica) were delightful and fun. I really wish I could remember everyone's names, because each and every staff member deserves to be recognized for their wonderful service. The hotel is close to so many wondeful retail stores, restaurants and bars, as well as one stop on the Subway from the Downtown scene. There's a roof top pool and bar offering a relaxing yet hip environment with amazing views. Don't miss out on this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The James New York, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear hgoyan,

Thank you for the great review. I am elated that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that our staff could accommodate you and provide a luxury liberated experience. We are very proud of our staff and feel that they are our greatest asset. I will be sure to relay your sentiments to them. It’s also wonderful that you enjoyed the warmly modern rooms, our location in the bustling SoHo area, and the rooftop pool and bar with a 360 degree view of Downtown New York City. Thank you again for staying with us, as always it was our pleasure; until your next stay.

Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

A boutiquish, cute hotel in a great location. The bar next to the pool on the roof with a great view of the downtown, midtown and NJ.
The service is friendly and helpful. I could not memorize where the lobby vs the restaurant vs exit were, otherwise a great place in SoHo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Boobyg1,

Thank you for taking time to write your review. It is great to read that your experience was wonderful, especially in your interactions with our James team members. I am very glad you were able to visit one of The James’ best features, our rooftop bar; the 360 degree view is impeccable. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.