“Best SOHO/Tribeca Hotel in NYC”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #180 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Ignore the review by "Disappointing"- - we just returned from a 3 night trip here and it was superb. Staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Guests have full access to the roof top bar from when it opens at 5pm. After 9-ish you need to book for a seat but you won't be turned away of you are happy to stand. It was our 10th wedding anniversary and the complementary bottle of champagne was a great touch. Beds are very comfortable and air con works well, rooms bright and light. Location is fantastic with a load of great bars and restaurants on your doorstep. Plenty of shopping on West Broadway etc if that flicks your switch.

Room Tip: worth the extra money for a larger corner room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul R
The_James_NY_Hotel, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear Paul R,

Thanks for spending three nights with us, and again, happy 10th anniversary. It such a pleasure when guests choose to come and celebrate their special moments with us. We hope to see you on your next special occasion here at The James.

Joe D'Angelo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Staff more bothered how they look than how they treat their guests. Small rooms. No evening turn down service (should do but do not bother. Complained twice.). Only 1 bar (bar upstairs with pool is only open after 9.30pm and only if your on the guest list). Usually stay in similar boutique hotel, but this is the worst I have stayed in and would recommend you chose another.

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Paulwhite8270
The_James_NY_Hotel, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Hello Paulwhite8270,

We are deeply sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us this past weekend . You certainly should have received turndown service on Saturday night to which we sincerely apologize and JIMMY opened late Thursday night due to a private event. Our team should have directed you to one of the other two bars that were open within the hotel. Our staff takes a lot of pride in the friendliness and attentiveness that we offer to our guests so we are very disappointed that we have failed to meet your expectations or that our refund of one night was sufficient. If you would be willing to give us another chance during your next time in New York, please feel free to contact us directly.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Hotel perfect for soho shopping trip. Hotel is very modern and has a great rooftop gym and bar. David Burke restaurant was ok. The concierge gave great dining recommendations.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank coolrunnings_10

Hello coolrunnings_10,
We're glad that you really enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Modern, metropolitan and minimalist. Impeccable as few are able to consistently be, effortlessly luxurious with a genuinely attentive service. If you learned to appreciate this recipe at the James Chicago you will be pleased to find it in New York too.

It's all those little unexpected touches that get you to L O V E the James New York. I won't list them because the discovery journey is part of what make you smile.

Whether you have been to NYC many many times and you want to breath Soho in or this is your first visit, the James is a MUST.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Vera B

Hi Velery,

We're so grateful for your flattering review and are happy that you greatly enjoyed your stay with us here at The James. We'll be sure to share your kind words with our entire team and hope your journey leads you back to The James in the near future.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at your hotel last week.

I tremendously enjoyed staying at the James hotel and wanted to provide some good feedback based on my experience with you guys.

the reason I went there was because of the special offer "See
ART WITH THE JAMES"
The curator,Matt was very helpful and courteous,
the guided tour was really helpful especially for those first time visitors because sometimes some people feel intimidated with a new setting.

All staffs were very friendly and proactive trying to help me out.
eg) Booking a restaurant for me.
Providing me a car service to a certain location,so on

That positive attitude makes your hotel stand out among others.

I was so impressed by your staffs promptness and proactive attitude.

Keep up the good work. :)

I'll definitely stay at your hotel while visiting NY.

Again, Thank you

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank michelle m
The_James_NY_Hotel, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Hello michelle2370,

Thanks for the great review! Matt Jensen put alot of time curtating the works of 20 different artists for "Art at the James". We're glad that you got to view and appreciate the display as well as enjoy our team. You can learn more about the artists and their work through The James Hotel website. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

I liked The James quite a bit. The rooms are smallish, but not insanely so, and well laid out, and the bathrooms are very nice. The housekeeping is very friendly, but a little spacy (I had to call to have them come clean the room once). All the staff is VERY VERY nice and helpful, though -- especially the door men. The hotel has free wine and cheese in the afternoon, and BEST OF ALL: free coffee and pastries in the morning! Which is excellent if you're there for work and don't have time for a proper breakfast. The bed is VERY comfy and the location is great. You will like it,

Note: I was there on business, and the James inadvertently screwed up my bill (they charged the room to my personal card rather than to the company). They fixed this promptly and cheerfully -- I am very happy with the way the mistake (an honest one) was handled.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank HotPantsMalone
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This was my first stay at The James and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in NYC. It is located in Soho just above Canal street with great shops, restaurants and clubs right outside their front door. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. My favorite part, which is a little hard to explain, the bed was raised off the floor and there were no corner legs or side edges to stub your toes on. I know it's weird but this is a problem for me in unfamiliar locations. The service from the front door, to reception, to room service and housekeeping was fabulous. I believed that every employee working there truly liked working there and wanted to be of great service. I was not able to make it to the rooftop bar but I heard it is very cool.

Room Tip: I missed the rooftop bar but I hear it is very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
The_James_NY_Hotel, General Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear clgarb111,

I just wanted to thank you for taking a little to share about your first stay here at The James. I’m so glad your experience was so positive, especially in your interactions with the different members of our James team staff. And I have to agree with you on the bed, about how wonderful that feature is to not have corner legs or side edges to stub your toes on. We look forward to your next stay with us; hopefully next time you’ll have a chance to visit Jimmy’s, I’m sure you’ll find the view amazing.