“Delivered what it said on the tin”

The James New York - SoHo
Ranked #176 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I have been to NY 4 times this year, and stayed in 6 different hotels (2 in single trip because moved from Business trip hotel to personal trip hotel), and I have spent well over 45 nights in hotels in 8 countries this year.

I met up with friend from Canada for boy’s weekend out in NY. All in all a pretty blurry weekend. The hotel was great, about check in, and just making sure we where taken care of, at anytime of day or night.
I normally do not right reviews, however, after a recent stay at the SOHO grand, which was very disappointing; on this occasion I thought it necessary. It seems the hotel has improved on many of the items that people had complained about in the past, we had no problems gaining access to Jimmy, the staff was great, and the concierge and doorman where really good.

For this area of New York I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tylor_the_Lorax
The_James_NY_Hotel, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

Dear Tylor the Lorax,
We really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy travel schedule to submit your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you have noticed our efforts to improve on previous guest comments and that you throughly enjoyed your stay at The James.
Best regards,
Joseph D'Angelo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We needed to vacate our Manhattan apartment for a few days and wanted to have easy access to Tribeca restaurants. Ergo, the James.

The public spaces are striking and comfortable. Lots of outdoor space (great for us: we had our dogs) and a pool and sundeck on the roof. The room itself was stylish, but small. The huge glass-walled bathroom (rain shower big enough for two) had an electric curtain for privacy. The room windows open, which is always nice. The bed was quite comfortable; I didn't love the pillows, but they offered three others, which I was too lazy to call for.

Continental breakfast was included in our rate. It was prompt and quite generous, although the pastries were forgettable.

Service in general was friendly and extremely competent--the requested newspaper there in the morning, extra shampoo and conditioner (excellent brand, btw) delivered to room, etc.

Though the hotel is known mostly for its club scene at night, there was no noise whatsoever, although I know it was packed.

Dog amenities include a full roll of disposal bags, a great can of treats, and a printed list of nearby dog "attractions."

Room Tip: We had the cheapest room. It was just fine.
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Picked the James based on Tripadvisor reviews and downtown location.
It was a lovely hotel with very helpful staff and some very nice touches.
These included for guests:
a) a kettle - yippee - I hate that US hotels don't usually have this as I need a cup of tea to start the day and don't was that fuss of room service
b) fruit bowl in lobby as well as, coffee and pastries, cheese and wine and cookies at various points in the day.
c) free, and easy to access, internet access in the lobby for up to an hour at a time as well as general WiFi
d) Newspapers and listing guides (Time Out)
e) Art books and various art installations through out the hotel.
f) chocolates and a turndown service

The room was well appointed and had excellent air con . It had just the loveliest bed - slept really well.

Location was ideal for down town - it was in Soho and very close to Canal Street subway.

The pool was really tiny but the view from the rooftop was great. The lobby and garden were also nicely laid out.

The elevators were sometimes a bit slow as there appeared to be only two. There was an odd arrangement in getting to street level where you had to use the stairs or go to the lobby and take another lift but this was odd rather than annoying.

It wasn't the cheap option but I would definitely stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MAORBristol
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I traveled to NYC for a family event and booked a short 2-night stay at The James--a hotel I thoroughly researched and trusted would meet our expectations. Several months prior to the trip, I booked the stay through Luxurylink.com, which offered a good rate for a king bed room and breakfast in bed. To our huge disappointement--we got neither. We had traveled extensively in the past and often relied on luxurylink to book our accomodations and never encountered an issues no matter where in the world our travels took us.
After a red eye flight from the west coast and numerous prior calls to The James (all indicating that we would be acommodated earlier in the morning), we walked into the hotel exhausted and, as we soon found out, out of luck. Apparently, the hotel had just booked up and we were not going to get the room until, well, "Indefinitely". In fact, nothing became available until after 1 pm, by which point we already got a quick nap in my sister's room who was kind enough to evacuate so that we could get a few hours of sleep (my sister and husband arrived a day earlier). This was a very unpleasant welcome, but considering how hotels operate in general--not overly disappointing and barring additional problems--could prove to be a decent stay. However, what unfolded next was a complete screw up of our reservation and a major blow to our experience with the hotel.
After spending a very busy day in the city, we returned to our room (which we barely even saw during the day) only to find that we were given a lower category room with a queen, instead of king, size bed. To some this may not have been much of a problem, but this was extremely important and one of the main selling points of this hotel's package on luxurylink. It was quite late in the evening and I proceeded to call the reception desk only to be told that we were placed in the correct category and should only have a queen size bed. This got me fuming as I knew what I booked and had the reservation confirmation right in front of me. The staff made us go downstairs to "show proof" of our reservation and my husband reluctantly did so. In conclusion, the hotel did nothing about the wrong room as, according to them, they were all booked up anyway. After insisting for the next 30 minutes that we deserved more than just a king size room the next night, we were still left with nothing--in our tiny room and tiny bed. I will admit that they did put us up in a higher category room the next day; however, since it was only available late in the afternoon and we had a busy day, we could not enjoy it until quite late in the evening. The room; however, was nice, but did not make up for the unpleasant welcome or all the frustration of the night before.
After returning home, I took another look at our booking and noticed that we never received or were even asked about the breakfasts in bed which we were supposed to get on the two mornings we were there. Apparently, that--just like the kind size bed--was magically disappeared from the reservation. This realization, along with the fact that The James has been completely unresponsive to our issues surrounding our stay, is why I would never want to return or recommend this hotel to others. Had it not been for these gross errors and neglect in customer service, I would consider this a good place to stay. The hotel does have a nice location if you want to walk around SoHo and some interesting quirks like the roof pool, very modern design, etc.

7  Thank julias_sf
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The hotel is nicely laid out with pool and contemporary furnishings and staff are more friendly than the other top-end hotels in Soho area we have stayed at such as Mercer and Thompson. However they made 3 pretty fundamnental mistakes - they tried to overcharge me $150 for the room, then blaming it on 'computer glitch', they were unable to honour the 2pm check-in time despite the fact i phoned ahead to make sure as my wife was coming in from transatlantic flight and finally they were unable to locate my stored luggage for ages due to a mishap. Manager extended the minimum of aplologies when i pointed these issues out.

3  Thank AdamCLondon
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The rudest hotel manager I have ever met in any hotel anywhere. Arrogant, patronising and aggressive.

• Stayed: June 2011
6  Thank Ham15
The_James_NY_Hotel, Manager at The James New York - SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

DearHam15,

We apologize that you had such a negative experience with one of our managers. We would like to spoke with you to get more details and help resolve any issues that you may have outstanding. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,
Joseph D'Angelo

Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed here twice on two consecutive Mondays. The hotel itself is very well designed, the rooms are comfortable, and the staff is amazing. So, so nice. Like, you're not even in NYC nice. And I actually live in NYC so I don't automatically assume everyone in NYC is rude. Chris, who greets you when you first enter, is the nicest person I have ever met in the service industry.

The only drawback to this place was that their systems didn't seem quite in order. For instance, when I arrived in my room, the folder containing the hotel info, including the room service menu (which is what I was looking for), was empty. I called the front desk, who very nicely explained the info was in the folder. When I told them it was empty, they apologized and sent up a new folio. Well, the first guy who came brought me a menu for the restaurant, which was not the same as room service, but the second guy got it right. Communication seemed to be a little off.

Another small thing: The breakfast menu that you hang on the door was waiting for me on the bed, except it was already filled out, and by another room! Such a small thing - I just ordered a new one - but so, so strange to me how this could have happened. Someone obviously not paying a lot of attention.

When breakfast came the next morning, they had forgotten milk for my coffee. I'm not the kind of person who gets upset about stuff like that, but I note it. I just called and asked for milk - they were super nice and apologetic. I also asked for water, but was only brought milk. No big deal, but again, it seems like such a small thing could be prevented by a little more attention to detail, actually checking the tray before it leaves the kitchen.

I didn't get to check out the roofbar because they were having a private party - both times. Kind of a disappointment.

I really hope they get these details straightened out, because then it would be a perfect hotel. The second time I stayed with my dog, and they were so sweet to her. She got a little gift bag with doggy treats. (Although, somewhat in keeping with the other small overlooked details, there was a dog bed in the room but no dog bowl, so she drank out of a glass. I didn't feel like calling the desk yet again for something).

I also used the valet parking which was very easy and convenient.

The food at the restaurant and the room service food was just ok. The service at the restaurant was a little lackluster - the waiters spent as much time talking to each other as they did waiting on the tables, and I had to stand up and wave a few times to get things. But they were nice enough. Just not very attentive. I sat in the outdoor garden area on my first visit.

One more thing: I hope the management will allow dogs into the outdoor garden area of the restaurants, because it was hard for me to find a place to eat with dog in tow.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo