“convenient location, clean and good value”

Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
Ranked #322 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 6, 2014

the hotel location was fantastic since you have easy access to so many train lines. it's also easy walking distance to chinatown, tribeca, and the world trade center sites. the hotel is still on the new side and it was clean. we got a fantastic deal on booking.com which is why we stayed here and we enjoyed our stay. the room is a good size for a manhattan hotel. one negative is that the curtain did not completely block out all the light in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skirtandsupersuit

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Terrific value and really nice clean hotel with great views, service, and spacious (for New York) rooms. The club room suffered from some major understocking of breakfast items. Seriously, people were mad as they ran out of everything from food to silverware to chairs. And the attendant said it was normal when asked.

Nevertheless, I'm not one who needs to be spoiled by a club room and the hotel was otherwise a home run. I loved paying about 60% of a midtown room and getting more space and still being very well located. On Canal Street near four different subway lines. Awesome.

$10 for Internet. $65 for SUV parking, no in/out.

Recommended, particularly if the location suits you.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Rahdim M
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've stayed here several times and I've even written a flattering Trip Advisor review. I never could understand the bad reviews I saw on the site until now. My last stay here was bad from beginning to end and even after I left. I'm only hitting the lowest points so I don't have to write an entire book

First the room. I had an 'accessible' room and I have no idea how anyone confined to a wheelchair could ever navigate that room. It was undersized and arranged terribly. The only way I could use the "closet" area was to sit on the bed and then I had to close the door so I could get around it. The bathroom was equally small with zero counter space.

The day after I checked in, I got an email from one of the managers asking how I like my room. I replied that it was barely usable and that my desire to ever stay again was minimal. More than a day later he replied that he was sorry but they were totally booked (they weren't) and that maybe they could help on my next stay.

After I checked out, the valet offered to get me 'one of our cars' as opposed to a taxi for only a few dollars more. What they forgot to mention that it's even more expensive if you care to use a card. I found that out at the airport when it cam time to pay If the bait and switch wasn't enough, then the driver ended up writing himself an additional $10 tip after he dropped me off. I called to let the hotel know "their" driver ripped me off but all I got was voice mail and I never got a return call to acknowledge it.

Then there was the billing. The original credit card charge came through for only 1 night. When I called to question it, the billing people were gone for the week (at 4:00 on Friday) and when I asked to speak to a manager or someone else, I was told that they were "busy with customers and probably didn't have time to talk to me."

So, adding it all up - lousy room, lousy service, zero concern for customers. It all adds up to me never, ever staying here again. Luckily, my company usually offers more than one hotel option so I can choose something else and as a bonus I can always explain my choice by telling this story over and over.

Room Tip: Go for high floors that don't face Canal St and do NOT let them give you an 'accessible'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Pacorulz
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Pros - Friendly professional staff, great location on Canal street, good eating close by, comfy bed, Wifi in lobby

Cons - traffic on Canal can be crazy for getting around by Taxi

We stayed here last week when we were stranded in NYC because of the ice storm in Toronto. We booked the day we checked in and stayed for two nights. The hotel felt very safe and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed some delicious Italian food nearby and did some shopping on Canal. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to New York.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very small. Ask for a larger one. Not on the second floor either as there are brigh...
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked this hotel for 5 nights around New Years eve simply because it was the cheapest available that didn't have too many negative reviews. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was though. The hotel is on Canal street, just outside China town, right on the Soho edge of Tribeca, a short wall from a lot of different metro stops which means that you have easy access to all of New York. There are loads of nice restaurants and good shops less than a 5 minute walk away. So really, location is amazing even though we were not expecting this.

The room was fine. Nothing amazing but clean and functional. If you chose to not get housekeeping in every day, they give you a 5USD voucher per night that you can spend in the Starbucks downstairs. Just make sure you have the card in your door before 2am ! We thought that was actually a good incentive to encourage people to be more environmentally friendly. We were street side so it was a little noisy but not too bad. The gym is pretty good : you have everything you need to keep in shape. Wifi is free in the lobby which is, I'm afraid, pretty standard for NYC but works pretty well. The staff was friendly and organized a car to take us to the airport which worked perfectly. So overall, we had a very good stay at the Sheraton Tribeca.

That said, you don't spend that much time in your hotel room when you're visiting New York, so all you really ask for is a clean place, with a functional bathroom and a comfortable bad to come back to after a long day of sightseeing and shopping.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor, you'll get a great view on NYC.
1  Thank ZeConstantraveller
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I'm not even sure yet how to rate the hotel. So many mixed feelings.

When we arrived we were greeted quickly, and even given an upgraded room! I was thrilled. The front desk people were really great! The room was larger than your typical NYC room, and was quite clean. The bed was SO comfy, and the view was wonderful.

Then there's the breakfast. For $16 we got barely any options (buffet style) and what my husband referred to a "typical [name a cheap chain I won't name] breakfast". So much wasn't available in the buffet, and what WAS available really was sub-par. We were trapped, though, as it was Christmas day and everything close by was closed.

Housekeeping was bizarre. One day our room wasn't cleaned at all so I had to call for our next morning's coffee. One day we were given a lot of cups and another time only two. Sometimes tea was left, sometimes not. We ran out of toilet paper. We just didn't know what to expect when we returned to our room each evening! I kept tipping, hoping that would encourage them to be a little more attentive, but to little avail.

I will continue to complain about the more expensive hotels charging more for internet use than the cheaper ones. I'm hopeful that some year they'll decide to nix that ridiculous fee!

Still, I was happy with the room so I might return. I would probably just be sure to mention that we had issues the last time and hope they then made sure we'd have no problems. The price was worth the bizarre things that happened, and everyone working there was extremely friendly.

1  Thank PATTY M
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Nicely appointed but SMALL room..... King room had a comfortable bed, an upholstered chair, and a built in desk. Very small closet area for clothes. The room was tight, Staff was helpful especially getting cabs / helping with dinner suggestions.

Not a very good section of town - edge of Tribeca / Chinatown / Little Italy. Expect several homeless outside the door as soon as you walk out and a ton of purse / watch vendors! Very sketchy location after dark.

Room Tip: High floors have less street noise.
1  Thank BudLeary