“Good Value”

Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
Ranked #313 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The service at this hotel has been excellent. I appreciate the early check in, the good housekeeping, and the front desk service. The location near Tribeca, Chinaton, and Soho is very good. Do not accept a room on the second floor. They are near the workout room and you can hear every step on the treadmill.

Room Tip: Any other floor than the second. These are too close to the gym and too noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We made reservations via Travelocity-and arrived very late on a friday night. The people could not find our reservation-but I did have an e-mail response from my connfirming the reservation. The people could not have been more helpful and encouraging. Took care of it-without a worry. When we found that the restaurant was closed they helped us with local options that were perfect-even given the late hour. Everyone there was most polite and helpful. Now, being in NYC is not a common event for me-I live in rural Washington State--but I felt like we were well taken care of!
BTW, Deon made our stay the best! He greeted us on arrival, and helped us out in early morning to find our way to the airport!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was in town for business and the company requested that we stay at the Sheraton. Typically I stay at the Trump but this was for a special work function. The location is actually not bad, it's just not on a picturesque street. Chinatown is a few blocks east and Soho is right across the street. This is sort of a dead zone between neighborhoods.

Rooms are small with no mini fridge or additional amenities beyond soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The lifts are very slow; there are only three. Lobby is light and spacious and the staff is very nice and helpful.

Now, here's the part that I think is very important. I became seriously ill the first night that I stayed at the Sheraton. I later learned that I had contracted Norovirus before my trip. I was so desperate that I called the front desk at 3 AM and asked if they could connect me with a doctor in the morning. They found a doctor to speak with me immediately and he advised me on what I could do in the meantime. I mean, it was literally the middle of the night and my only option at that point was to go to the emergency room. The doctor suggested I get the Sheraton staff to help - I called downstairs and James, who had connected me with the doctor, went out and fetched me a couple of items from the deli that the doctor recommended. He also asked if I wanted to be taken to the hospital. I declined and he came up and dropped off my things which did help get me through the night. In the morning, I visited a walk-in doctor who the front desk also recommended. I ended up cutting my trip short and flying home. My point is - they took care of me, specifically James. I was in serious pain and agony and I know the Sheraton staff would have brought me to the hospital if that's what I had decided. Huge props to James - consider Sheraton Tribeca your home away from home.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is located in a great location...SOHO, Little Italy, Chinatown. I drove to NYC for St. Patty's Day weekend, had no difficulties finding parking on a side street near the hotel. Upon arrival, the staff was very courteous and helpful. The lobby was amazing, definitely one of the standout amenities of the hotel since the room left much to be desired. In the lobby, there's a free internet lounge and a restaurant (we used neither service).

The room itself can be described best in one word: SMALL. For the price, this was one of the tiniest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. I've stayed in several hotels in NYC and particularly the SOHO area, and the room size undoubtedly failed to measure up to others. I would say that the room was really clean, had a large tv, and large windows, which let lots of sunlight in. Also, this room had a rather large, "chic/hip" bathroom, although, I would give a few square feet of the bathroom to in order to allow me to walk freely in the main sleeping quarters. I had a large king-sized bed, and it nearly took up the entire room.

As others have noted, there is $10 fee to use the hotel's internet service inside the room...this struck me as very odd considering the price.

Overall, this was a nice hotel, although, I probably would not stay here again considering that I've had bigger, better and cheaper hotel stays in the same area. This was a last minute trip, which unfortunately, did not leave me with many options for such a busy weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2013

What is a huge disappointment.

The Room: so tiny. Facilities are all of pretentious timber and shoddy quality. Bed linens are hard. Shampoos and bath gel are among the worst supplies of their kinds. Shower area is spacious for 1 medium-sized adult only. The commode is so tiny and uncomfortable. Before turning you back in the bathroom, exercise caution so that you do not knock your elbow onto the wall.

The View: stayed in a higher-view room. The promised view was offered, but not so impressive at all. New York, as a city, does not live up to its reputation at all when observed in reality. This city only appears beautiful on pictures. Forget the SOHO area (which is just opposite this hotel. Oooh, you will understand what a shabby neighborhood the real SOHO is. Don’t buy the hypes about it on travel magazines. Pretentious, hollow, themeless are the very adjectives for the real SOHO).

The Services: almost non-existent. Made a phone call for some fork, but waited almost an hour to receive nothing but a rhetorical question “Did you ever request that?” on my following-up call for enquiry. Sheraton: train you staff twice, please.

The Staff: 75% of them are impolite. Talking to each other all the time. Giggling foolishly in front of checking-in guests for no reason. Making exaggerated gestures by hand in the air during nightly shifts (some brown-skinned lady in an ill-fitting suit).

The Lobby: just crammed and disagreeable. The Internet Surfing Area suffers heavy draughts all the time from the door, which is opened from time to time because of the human traffic flowing in and out. At a winter night, it is a suffering to be sitting over there to check emails online.

The Conclusion: this hotel is, in reality, a 2-starred property (at most!!!), despite of its 5-star price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for the Big East tournament and a hockey game this past weekend. We wanted to stay somewhere different in the city so we choose tribeca/soho area. We love this part of town being walking distance from the trade center, soho shopping and restaurants it was great. The A,C,E trains were a block away, the 1 train was maybe 2 blocks. That made it easy to head midtown to Penn Station and go to MSG.
The only problem I had was the first night we were there we had gone to the hotel bar late after the Georgetown game on Friday. The bartender was the worst. We asked him if they were serving food still, he turned and told us the kitchen was closed and walked away. A few minutes later he's putting pretzels and peanuts in front of some other people. Where the hell was our pretzels, I wasn't asking if the kitchen was open because I was curious. I had to pretty much throw my empty glass at him for him to get the clue that I'd like another. Needless to say, no tip for the amateur.
Besides the bartender, the rest of the hotel was nice. The rooms were small but the bathrooms were really nice, great showers. Cleanliness was great and the beds were pretty good too. Kitchen closes at 11 p so if you want something to eat, you need to go elsewhere. Price was typical of a clean modern New York hotel. Parking is an issue, there is none. We took the Metro North train in so we didn't have to bring the car. There is paid parking everywhere and the hotel does offer valet for $50 a day but if you show up during the day on a weekday forget trying to park the thing. Canal street is a little busy. I would recommend this hotel to stay for a fun weekend in the big city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Tribeca for 3 nights this week. Was generally disappointed with the stay... nothing bad about the place, per se... just nothing special, either. It's decidedly "eh" in just about every aspect.

Price we paid was quite high, though its NYC. For $300+/night I'd expect better.

Check in was fast and painless. Desk staff, though not overly friendly, were helpful enough by NY standards. Doormen were helpful in finding taxis, though I thought it was interesting that they were always quite quick to push us towards using a private car, which was almost always parked nearby... I'd have to think they have a "relationship" with the drivers of the private cars.

Room's tiny. Only hotel room I've ever stayed in that was smaller was in Hong Kong. It was pretty much walk in, trip into bed. Barely room for much else. I barely spent any "down time" in the room, because it was so tiny it was either lay in bed, or don't be there, realistically.

Club lounge is a joke. Not sure if it's domestic and/or Sheraton, as I've spent lots of time in Marriott lounges, but it was tiny, and the appetizer offerings were essentially a small plate of cheese and some crackers. Beer, wine, cocktails were all charged for, not complimentary, as in other lounges I've been to. It does have a nice view, though.

Downstairs lounge is okay - a "business center" (more like a internet cafe in the lobby). Have to be a registered guest to use internet at $9.99/day. Lounge itself is kinda open and jammed right off of the lobby, meaning its bright, loud, and not great for unwinding with friends or colleagues at the end of the day. Bar staff are effective, though not remotely friendly or engaging.

Hotel doesn't have 24 hour room service. When returning late one night from meetings and asking for a menu, I was told I could walk down the street and get something on W. Broadway.

But its the little things that make or break a hotel. Over a 4 day, 3 night stay, the hotel didn't once replenish my bathroom amenities. A little bar of soap only goes so far, and so by the morning of my last day, I was squeaking by on a tiny sliver of soap, wondering what I'd done to make the cleaning staff mad at me.

In short, I'll be staying elsewhere next trip, and will probably reconsider staying at Sheratons again...

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. Lower floors are subject to considerable street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear MrHao,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that we missed an opportunity to impress you. You have provided a lot of great information for us to follow up on. I will review with all departments. I hope you give us a chance to be your host again in the future.

Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel