“Winter Getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #308 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“Winter Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Tribeca during a post-Christmas getaway this winter. The hotel is newly remodeled and nicely appointed. The location is fantastic, being just a couple blocks away from great restaurants in Tribeca and great shopping in Soho. The hotel room was small by most standards, but for Manhattan it seemed luxuriously large. Our room was right by the elevator, and we were worried about the noise, but it didn't seem to be too big of a problem. My only complaint was that the air conditioning seemed to kick on when you lowered the temperature in the room. Had this been July, I would have understood, but this was January.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Finnish first
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Booked a night for a Saturday and unfortunately got the flu. I attempted to cancel 36 hours prior to check -n. Somehow I was booked (unbeknownst to me) in a non-refundable room (I thought that only happened with airfare?). I called a plead my case to the staff and I was told no. It wasn't a 'very sorry' type of no. It was "this is your fault because you booked a non-refundable room'. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and I have never encountered a more unfriendly or stranger hotel situation EVER. I am honestly shocked by the whole experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Northants
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The TriBeCa area is described as "lively and bohemian" which I now know is estate agent speak for an area which is noisy and where drugs and knock off goods can be purchased freely on any street corner. During my walk from the Canal Street subway station to the hotel (approx 5 minutes dragging a large suitcase) I lost count of the number of times I was approached with the word "Rolex?" There were either 10 guys or just the same guy going round and round in a scene reminiscent of the Bagpuss chocolate biscuit factory (Brits in their mid thirties should get this reference).

The hotel itself is fairly new and the room was nice if somewhat small, but then that's New York for you. I was quite disappointed with the toiletry haul - only shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and soap. No sewing kit or bonnet de douche as Del Boy might say. After all, a girl can never have too many shoe sponges.

The room I was in (210) was fairly noisy, being positioned next to the lift, and from the sounds of it, directly above the set of Jumanji. The jungle drum noises I heard between 8 and 9pm were either over enthusiastic workmen, or a couple with a lot of stamina - if that's the case then sir, I salute you. Between 9pm and 2am I was treated to the sound of the lift doors opening and closing sporadically and several conversations held in loud American voices. A special thanks to the man who thought 1.30am was an appropriate time to have a chat with his mates directly outside my door. His review may mention the wild haired harridan who threw open the door demanding he keep his voice down.

Quick note to new couples on a romantic getaway - the double door to the bathroom has a large gap in it which could let unwanted smells and sounds filter through - not ideal on a first minibreak together. Also there was no bath in my room which was slightly disappointing, having been washed onto some coral the week before in the Caribbean I was hoping to soak my wounds.

However, overall the hotel was nice, the staff were helpful, room service was good although I made the mistake in my post US Immigration shell shock of tipping twice on room service as I didn't check whether tip was already included.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank K8NSH
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Rooms here are what New York is all about----closet sized but clean and comfortable. The room barely fit the queen sized bed yet I didn't feel too cramped. Not sure how it would be with 2 people though as it could be a tight squeeze. While the bathroom was a decent size, I did not like the "no tub/enclosure" shower which basically was almost European style in that it was in a corner of the room with no tub, just a drain. That meant that if you were not careful, the rest of the floor could easily get flooded.

The location is the key here for this hotel and you are at the edge of the "action" in TriBeCa with a decent number of restaurants, bars and nightclubs all just a street or two away. Access to the subway is only a couple of blocks away and you can pretty much get anything you want within a short walk or subway ride away.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 a night for a room here (yep, even in high season) as I don't think the rooms are worth it. Yes, you get a nice bed (the Sheraton Sleeper) but the room size is small and there really isn't anything else compelling to choose this hotel over another other than the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here the night of Dec. 26, 2012 and it served all our needs. We had a cozy bed to sleep on in a clean room for 1 night. Within walking distance of a bunch of different neighborhoods and dozens of cute bars with decent happy hours.

Rooms are your average NY small, but we didn't feel cramped, though I imagine if I were staying for a long time, it might. There's one free bottle of water your room and one that'll add a charge to your room, so make sure you double-check before opening. For the price we paid on Priceline ($139/night) we feel we got a great deal and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here in November/December with my Mum and Sister. The rooms were small and there was no fridge ATALL which was quite annoying as we were staying there for 8 nights. The room service was also quite awful but you are in New York so there is no real need for Room Service and this shows in the quality. The wine prices are really reasonable though so that was nice!
Apart from this the stay was great. The rooms were quiet and warm, the service was great, the front desk and concierge all lovely and the location perfect for us. Trendy area, great food, best coffee in new York 1 minute walking around the corner on Church St.
I would definitely stay here again, thank you for a lovely stay!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed for two weeks for a business trip (working on Wall Street), so the location was relatively convenient. That said, it is on the 'edge' of the nice part of Soho, Tribeca.

I'm a gold Starwood member, so was given a room on the corner of the building on a high floor, which was good. The room itself was quite small and felt a little bit like a dormitory. To be honest, the hotel didn't live up to the Sheraton brand in my experience.

Annoyingly, there was a mix up with a special Starwood points offer which required emailing to and fro...finally got it sorted, but this isn't the sort of thing you should have to fight over.

Having said that, rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were pleasant enough. Would I choose to stay there again? No. But if you get a good deal, I'd potentially consider it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business