“The Stanton in Lower East Side is hands down the best "home away from home'!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary NYC Retreats

You added Sanctuary NYC Retreats to your Saves list
Sanctuary NYC Retreats
3.0 of 5 Specialty B&B   |   196 A Stanton Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Stanton in Lower East Side is hands down the best "home away from home'!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Mario and Vishna are awesome hosts and our Suite (Rama) feels like a home away from home. Full kitchen, heavenly beds, rooftop patio, every convenience and Stanton location is perfect for the "not so touristy" NY experience! Close to some great listening rooms for music, Rockwood, Living Room and Arlene's Grocery where you never know who will show up to"sit in" on a session. I love the neighborhood, love the Suite, it's a win! AND totally affordable;-)

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank SMGGAL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Truro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Was torn between staying here and another apartment further uptown but opted for this one as it looked cosier and the area seemed to have more going on.
Like other reviewers on here was quite apprehensive when we booked this place as some of these reviews make it sound hideous and like there is something a bit dodgy about the whole place.
Anyway, we really needn't have worried as it was perfect for us. Despite getting in to New York after the Sanctuary's office hours I was given a phone number to call to ensure that there would be somebody there to meet us and check us in. This went ahead smoothly and then we were left to our own devices which is exactly what we were looking for.

If youre looking for luxury then this isnt for you, as many people have mentioned there is no lift, but unless you are elderly or disabled, why is this such a big issue, the daily climb just helped me to justify the mountains of food it is hard to avoid enjoying whilst in New York. For what we wanted (somewhere to sleep and wash) this place was ideal but with the added bonus of a kitchen. If there are more than two of you, I could see this being a little cramped but then think how much cheaper it would be again!

We didnt have breakfast in the breakfast room but did cook on some days during our stay in our apartment. If you are really on a budget think how much money you would save by a breakfast option being included in the price and being able to cook your own meals in your apartment.

I am really surprised by people talking about this being a dodgy area, the Hell's Angels (next door) were as good as gold, yes there are homeless people around but there seem to be lots of homeless people everywhere in NYC and they are to be pitied, not afraid of! We walked around late at night and would rather do that here than I would in most British cities. It is well lit and lots of exciting bars, shops and cafes are just a few minutes walk away, as is the subway. Don't miss out on Katz's Diner or the Eastville Comedy Club, both less than five minutes walk away.

We left very early in the morning and so went to the office the day before and they offered to book us a car to take us to the airport. We were a little nervous as we didnt see the girl make the booking but when we got outside at 5am the next morning the car was there ready and waiting so thank you for that.

This isn't a hotel so don't expect hotel levels of service. Ok so i have stayed in cleaner places but it wasn't unhygienic by any stretch of the imagination. Oh, one more thing, we didnt have any problems with bed bugs I am pleased to say.

Fantastic place to stay on a budget in one of the most incredible cities on earth.

Room Tip: I dont know about the other rooms but we stayed in The Simha (D3) apartment which more than met our...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ahdum82
Boise, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed in the Kurma suite A-3. The apartment was spacious compared to a NYC hotel but, we had 5 people and it was a little cramped. The location was very good! Very close to the subway (F line) so we were able to get everywhere. Two places we planned to visit was Katz Deli and Russ and Daughters. Both were just blocks away,(wonderful). The area had many quaint bars and restaurants which was also wonderful. Just DON'T sit on the bench outside in front of the building(owned and maintained by the NYC chapter of the Hells Angels). It was never a problem for us. Check in went fairly smooth except the room was not ready at 3 pm. The Continental Breakfast was okay, nothing special. The one thing that surprised us all was having to wash our own plates,cups and silverware. We did a good job of cleaning but, did others? I would have rather seen them run dishes in a dishwasher to be sure. The suite was well stocked with cleaning supplies that we didn't use, but when we asked about dishwashing detergent, we were told that they didn't supply (also weird to us). the room only had 1 roll of toilet tissue so we went to ask for more (there were 5 of us) they were out, but did manage to give us 1 more roll (there were 5 of us). We decided to purchase our own. Our biggest complaint though was how noisy the box springs (two full size beds) were. During the night if you rolled over you would wake everyone up, (at least the mattress was comfortable and there were no bugs). All in all, the stay was a pleasant one and the staff was friendly. Lastly be prepared to give a $20.00 deposit for each set of keys (cash only). It was refunded at the end of our week long stay. Happy Travels!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Robl1849
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was a little apprehensive when booking this place as the online reviews are mixed! But I have to say we had a great stay and were very impressed by the experience.
Having booked a penthouse suite, we arrived and breezed through the relatively easy, though slightly unorthodox reception process. Like all reviews seem to mention, there are no lifts in this place, so the penthouse suite requires a 5 story climb up the stairs.
Once getting to the room we realised it was well worth the climb, as we found ourselves in large, bright and modern room with (narrow) spiral staircase going up to the rooftop complete with an excellent view of the Manhattan skyline. The weather was cold, but we still managed a few roof top champagnes ;)
I cannot comment on the breakfast service, as we opted to head out to eat each day, though on viewing it it seemed basic but adequate.
Apart from being next door to The Hell's Angels club house (which I might add caused no problem to our stay whatsoever), the suites are excellently located for easy access to anywhere in NYC.
I wouldn't recommend this place to families or older folk, but its hard to go past for the youthful traveler looking for a nice stay at a great price!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PeterDM_Sydney
Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Where to start.....the noise, the stairs, the dirt, the electrical problems, the bugs, the lack of service and it's not in the best area! You are just down the street from a East side homeless shelter and next door to the Hell's Angels Club House. It's OK but it's not the greatest like several reviews have stated. I would use caution at night and go and look at the crime stats for this area yourself. This area is primarily bars.

If you are getting any of these suites for $100 or less, maybe it's OK, but a dollar more and it's certainly not worth it. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! You can ask the staff for anything you want but you will get nothing. They leave your keys in a mailbox on the street and a sign on the door to call them upon your arrival. They really could care less about your arrival, departure or anything in between.

The condos are so noisy you can't sleep. I ended up sleeping on the futon and closing the bedroom doors and I could still hear the street noise. They might as well put your bed on Bowery St. next to the traffic. Truly, this is what it sounds like and the beds are so terrible it's like sleeping on plywood. Flattest, dirtiest pillows I've ever seen!

I stayed in 3 different suites and all of them were completely run down. The bathrooms are full of mold with towel racks hanging, paint falling off the ceiling into the tub, toilet paper on the floor because the roller fell off the wall or was just hanging there, hair everywhere and not my hair. The condos were all dirty and I would not even step on the carpets with bare feet, cob webs in every corner, dirty dishes in the cupboards, filthy sponges in the kitchens, cockroaches and very dirty linens in one of the condos I stayed in. Smelled terrible, like someones body order.

Nothing works! In one condo there were no lights. Yes, you read that right, no lighting. I was sitting next to a lamp at night because not 1 overhead light worked. I would say that is an electrical problem and not a dozen burnt out bulbs. I did check the breaker and it was just fine. Kinda scary especially since I read another review here about the same suite and no lights.

If you have a suitcase and your on the 3rd, 4th or 5th floor, look out! It's like 10 flights of really steep stairs and do not expect anyone to help. I had to change rooms from the 5th floor of 75 E. 3rd to to the other building at 73 E. 3rd, that's right, it's 2 buildings. When I came back after a 10 hour day of touring they had not moved my bags for me, which they promised they would. I had to haul them down 5 flights from one building and go up 4 flights to the other, one bag at a time. Exhausting!

The manager was absolutely the rudest! When I was talking to him about moving rooms and exchanging keys he interrupted me, turned his back on me, and was totally annoyed to be dealing with a customer. The only professional person I dealt with was Mario who took my reservation on email. This place could be so much more than what it is.

No Sanctuary but hell.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank chichi928
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Upon arrival at the hotel I was very pleased with our room and the location was nice as well. The beds were not the best ever but not uncomfortable. The aprtment was spacious enugh for two people to share. No frills but certainly more than I expected for 100$ a night. The Hells angels comments just need to stop. They are no problem and we rarely even saw any body around the bar and when we did they looked friendly or indifferent and certainly were no danger. The roof top area was a nice plus and had lovely views!! The place was very clean and not a bed bug in site. The walk to the closest subway was maybe five minutes. We took the subway everywhere we went, Now for the draw backs (which I have to count as small when I consider the price and location). the first night we had some problems figuring out how to get the hot water to work and the tub wouldn't drain. I called the hotel and they had someone come by and fix it within a few hours and the drain was no longer a problem. If you are staying in the winter the heating system is somewhat of a problem. The heater is turned on and off by a timer. During my stay here it was quite cold out and I was worried the room might be too cold. The room was instead always a little to hot for me so I would crack the windows at night to help cool the room off before sleeping so really not that big of a problem and better than the room being cold I guess. Lastly the place DOES NOT have an elevator. Not a big deal in my opinion but seems a lot of people on here have made quite a fuss over this. I am young and in fairly good shape so I just hoisted my suitcase over my head and went up the 5 flight of stairs without thinking twice. I can see that this could be a problem for some people and it should be made clear.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank katrob
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Three weeks after a friendly email-conversation, booking and paying the $300 deposit via PayPal and five weeks before our stay, our reservation got cancelled "due to a double booking". Very strange and upsetting. It's not getting easier to find a place to stay at now. We would definitely not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012