“Langham Place, Fifth Avenue - Superb Service in Mid-Town”

Langham Place, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #19 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Langham Place on Fifth Avenue between 37th and 36th Streets is at the centre of it all – just up the street from the Empire State, down the street from the New York Public Library/Bryant Park and several blocks from Rockefeller Centre and Grand Central Station. However, what distinguishes this property is the attentive and sincere service of their staff. Everyone – from the front desk, concierge, door staff, security, and maintenance staff - went out of their way to make ensure we were comfortable and all of our needs during of stay were attended. After all the hustle and bustle of New York City, the hotel is a welcome oasis to relax and enjoy a stay in the City.

Our room was absolutely spacious; after check-in, we asked to be moved to a higher floor room overlooking Fifth Avenue that was done straightaway. By New York City standards, the room was enormous and thoughtfully designed. The room featured floor to ceiling windows, lots of light, a large king bed with a firm mattress and many pillows, a work desk with ample work space, two flat screen televisions, generous closets, and a large bath room with dual sinks, large area counter and a separate tub and shower. Soft drinks in the mini-bar were complementary as was the reliable Wifi. The room was very quiet, clean and well appointed; the main feature was the spectacular views, particularly at night, looking uptown and at the Chrysler Building. Their first floor bar-restaurant was a perfect venue to start the day with street level views of Fifth Avenue. The hotel has had fabulous recommendations for mid-town dining and easily made a Saturday reservation. Only one minor suggestion for the hotel: replace the light colored wall to wall carpeting throughout its rooms; our room rug had several stains we noticed when we first took the room.

We were extremely happy at the Langham Place – Fifth Avenue and will definitely be back next time we’re in town. A property to recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have wonderful views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OnTravel4Ever

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed as a family of 4 with two young children for the first week in April.
A week before we arrived a member of the concierge team telephoned us to ask if there was anything they could book or arrange to make our stay better. I really appreciated this and they arranged babysitting for us and gave us lots of advice for our stay.

When we arrived check in was a little slow and we were left waiting in the lobby with 2 young kids running around!

We had a family suite which was a very good size and everything in the room was clearly explained to us. The bathroom was beautiful and the kitchen was very well appointed. This was particularly useful with two children who wanted endless drinks and snacks! There was a washing machine and dryer in the room as well. I called numerous times house keeping for washing powder and they were always more than happy to oblige.

We had room service everyday for the children's dinner and I can honestly say it was brilliant. All the food was hot, beautifully presented and brought within the time they quoted.

Housekeeping was excellent everyday.

One negative was the service in the bar wasn't the best. One night, admittedly early evening, we were the only people in there and it still took 25 minutes to get our drinks!
Secondly, the door men were often not at the door which meant with a buggy and two kids we had to struggle opening two heavy doors.
Finally, on arriving at JFK to return home we realised our baby bag was missing. I contacted the hotel immediately and then twice more before our flight but I never heard back from them.

I would recommend this hotel, but it doesn't have the same standard of service as the Ritz Carlton were we have stayed before.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Back for a second stay with new owners of Setai now in the Langham Group. Very enjoyable. Everyone friendly and smiling. Smells so lovely when you walk in. Such neat little bonuses they give at times like free shoe shine or clothes pressing if you are in a Premier Room. Still have the free mini fridge and Nespresso. You have the catch the good prices because this place is expensive but great location near Penn Station, Herald Square etc.

Room Tip: Look for on line deals
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel is the epitome of elegant living. We stayed in the residence one bedroom suite for 5 extraordinary nights. What was amazing? Better to ask what wasn’t and even that will be a hard list to compile. The rooms were spacious, filled with naturel light and designed in a smart contemporary style with a warmth that called you home. Our suit had a washer/dryer which came in handy and was housed in the same sleek, knob-less cabinetry which lent continuity through the suite.

A native New Yorker myself I was impressed with the homogenous level of service across different service areas. You know what I mean; in some hotels one area of service may be excellent but the lack in other area diminishes the total experience. Not so at the Langham! Everyone, from the valet to every maid I passed was an example of well-trained hospitality. Did I mentioned the doorman and concierge who helped with everything? Whether it was getting an item of clothing pressed or getting a meal next door, I can sincerely say that I have not encountered this level of service in any other 5 star hotel. The restaurant on the 2nd floor, Ai Fiori is a must. We were also delighted by the excellent offerings at the first floor eatery which was feast for the eyes, while enjoying sights NYC on 5th.

The clincher for me was forgetting my passports and jewelry in the hotel safe; a first! I was contacted by A. McGuire, the Director of Loss Prevention shortly after I checked out and he was able to FedEx my items which I received the next morning. He even sent a follow-up email to ensure reception.

So even after my departure the same level of commitment and service continued. We have found our hotel in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors for the view and natural light.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MACarignan
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Located centrally in mid town with equidistance to downtown and uptown.
Service was top class. In room dining was delivery ontime and the conceirge was very helpful in guiding.
Even the door man was extremely courteous and helped us in hailing the taxi in busy and cold wintery street of NY
Room was spacious but there was no view from the room ( but one shouldn't be expecting that in NY i guess)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Langham Place hotel on Fifth Avenue, New York for my wife's 40th birthday and what a place to celebrate it. The hotel exceeded all of our expectations providing luxury and indulgence both in the suite we were allocated and the Michelin starred restaurant we ate in. was above what I expected. The location was central to all of the attractions we wished to see and more. Located right in the middle of fifth right next to the Empire State Building with shopping, Broadway, Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Centre.... I could go on as the list is endless.... sight
seeing galore all within easy reach. It was a fantastic weekend in a fantastic hotel.
Our only sticking point were the arrangements for attending the spa and pool facilities which were separate for male and female unless additional payment was made to use the co-ed spa and pool.... This seemed a shame given the amount already paid to stay at this 5 star hotel. It would have been nice to share those facilities with my wife. Other than that there were no complaints. Staff were friendly and helpful even going so far as to extend out checkout time to marry up with our airport pick up. It is an excellent hotel which we would use again and again and would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank tablo52
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Normally The Langham would be beyond my price point, but I took two 20 something granddaughters to NYC for a theater trip. While the rooms were great, it was the warm, friendly, caring staff that made this wonderful! Yes I would had a great time, with the ladies, the stay made it over the top.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family