“A week in Manhattan”

Ranked #25 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Wellington NZ
“A week in Manhattan”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Much has been written about this newish hotel- a conversion of a previous dwelling. I live in New Zealand and down this part of the world the Langham is a well respected brand with some good properties I frequently use. I belong to the 1865 loyalty programme.
The property in Manhattan is very different to the Langham Hotels as I know them. In Australasia/Asia they generally have several restaurants and typical full hotel service, with impressive lobbies filled with marble and chandeliers. The NYC property was, in my view, more like a residence with added services.
Many have written about the large rooms (by NYC standards). Ours was big with a real sense of space and a great bathroom. It was quiet and well serviced, and as others have mentioned, there are many nice touches such as the complimentary mini bar.
I found the front of house staff to be helpful, polite and pleasant. Derek from the UK was a standout who gave lots of sensible advice and added to our stay. The location in mid-town is wonderful- you do have to put up with the endless stream of tourists outside the door and the touts for the Empire State but it is easy to get around and the subways are close. The hotel car is a great concept! Again a very friendly driver- sad I could not ever catch the Maserati but maybe next time.
I think guests here need to think more of a "residence" than a hotel and once you are in this mindset, the place works well. The restaurant "Measures" was probably the weak link in the structure. It always seemed poorly manned although the food was good and the wine list outstanding for such a place. Breakfast was particularly poor during my stay. Again, there seemed to be only 1 staff member trying to look after a large number of people and as a consequence, lots of used items lying around and difficulty in getting service. I soon came to know where to get the cutlery/napkins etc so helped myself to what I needed. I am sure attention to breakfast time would be welcomed by many guests. "Measures" was a buzzy place in the evening. I enjoyed the wine selection and lite food- it seemed very popular as an after work venue. The music was great; I congratulate the team at Langham for creating a vibrant atmosphere.
In summary, the quality of the rooms, and the location more than made up for the deficiencies mentioned above. I feel the property represents good value for money in this part of Manhattan. The crucial question is always: would I return?. My answer is yes!

Room Tip: As high a floor as possible
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Drurolnz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Great Room, Great Price, Great Service, Central location.
There is a lot to like about this hotel. Besides the room service, the only big complaint is the hotel does not have enough elevators.

Room Service.
I ordered 2 waffles, 1 bacon and 1 apple juice for breakfast. On the menu it said waffles cost $16, but some how by adding bacon and apple juice it turns into $35 plus not 1 but 2 or 3 crazy ad on charges to make my grand total of $89. On top of that the food was average. I get why lower end hotels like to slip in the higher fees, but its not cool when you are already paying crazy high prices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CDUB212121
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I booked a room last week for a quick getaway in NYC. Once again the overall experience was just outstanding. If you read my previous review, I'm sure how they could have done better, but they did. As you pull up curbside to the entrance, the bell hops rush to your aid. To my utter surprise, one of them remembered us from our visit 5 months ago. At the front desk while checking in, the staff realized we were in a bit of a hurry to make the show we were committed to for the evening. We needed a nice place to eat with our son and some of his work colleagues in NY, so a party of 5, and we needed to get in and out. Without even asking, the receptionist sprang into action, found a great place that could accommodate us, and then asked if we would like him to make a reservation. To make it even better, they asked if we just wanted to leave right then, and they would handle the rest of our checkin, luggage, etc. What was so cool is that they just jump in, and make it all seem so natural.

My wife and I like to stay at some of the finest hotels in the world. We love great locations, outstanding 5 star service and amazing food. We enjoy turn down service, breakfast in-room and luxurious rooms. All I can say about the Langham is that they could be the gold standard for service for any hotel we have used. As you begin to experience the friendly, non-intrusive, willing pleasurable service, you begin to realize that it is not just great staff, but outstanding training. It is all too good to be coincidence, which has made me appreciate it all the more.

If you want an outstanding experience in a world class hotel, check it out! Just fyi, we are members of LHW.com and it is a great club that helps us find these gems.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald R
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay. we stayed in a Langham Suite, which i highly recommend. The hotel is great, the reception staff, concierge and our personal assistant. Bottle of Champagne waiting for us on arrival. Complimentary soft drinks, tea and coffee in the room. The room had massive bedroom, fitted double and pull out single with space, bathroom great size and kitchen/ lounge area also big. That was my 6th visit to NYC and i have stayed in 8 hotels on these trips, this is my favourite. You also have a driver with the hotel and we didn't find a problem with availability when we requested it. Highly recommend. Cant wait to go back :)

Room Tip: Get a suite for space
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
USA
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip to NYC. What a surprise!!!! Wonderful staff, clean rooms, great location in the middle of everything (1 mile away from Times square). The room was very nice. It was large, clean, modern with beautiful view to Empire Building. Free mini-bar and courtesy car is a nice perks provided by hotel. Valet parking is 65$ / 24 hours which is a little higher then usual in NYC, but hey..you can park somewhere else for less.
Overall, we were impressed, and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Arrived from a 16 hour flight and had to wait well past the 3pm check in time to get my room (close to 5pm). Given b.s. excuse after excuse.

Room was filthy - soiled/stained/mildewed carpets, ripped curtain, hair in the bathroom (despite the reason that I was given for my delayed checkin was that housekeeping was doing a thorough clean). Not befitting a hotel at these prices.

Prices for breakfast, in room dining is not inline with the quality.

Front of house staff pretty unhelpful.

Asked for a car to be arranged to JFK, was told it would cost $200. I said there were numerous services for $50-70, was told that I was 100% wrong, and then promptly called dial 7 and had a brand new Cadillac take me to the airport for $70.

There is no lobby/common area to speak of. When I needed to do some work early in the morning, had to beg to sit in the breakfast restaurant before they opened at 7.

Basically, this is just not a 4 or 5 star hotel. Aged rooms, mediocre service and average amenities. There are many, many other options at this price.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ryan C
LanghamPlaceNYC F, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Sir,

We are in receipt of your comments posted regarding your stay just a few days ago. We have followed up on the specific details provided by you, to include an inspection of the room in which you resided. We were unable to locate ripped curtains.
Any car service booked through our Personal Assistants Team - for any airport, will indeed cost approximately $200.00, one way. We have an exclusive agreement with one of the most reputable car services in the City who provide us with immaculate cars and drivers. There are indeed, less expensive options available, who do not, regrettably, meet the standards expected from our guests.
We provide a 24 hour, complimentary business center for all our guests who require a quiet locale for work or relaxation. The 2 individual offices are made accessible to our guests any time of the day or night.
We regret that we did not meet your expectations during your visit with us. Should your travels bring you back to our City, it would be our pleasure to assist you with your accommodations to ensure any need is handled by our Personal Assistants Team.
Natalie David-Szemes, Executive Assistant to the General Manager can provide assistance and be reached at 212-613-7330 or at Natalie.david-szemes@langhamhotels.com

Anne-J. Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed there in November 2013 and was lucky enough to get one of the only 3 room with a terrace with a view on the 5th avenue (room 1103). Though a bit expensive, the complementary services of this hotel is just stunning :
1. Room bar for free (though no alcohol),
2. a luxury car can pick you from hotel to any place in manhattan (Maserati Quatro Porte) based on first in first served.
3. free laundry for 5 item (though I didn't try)
4. Free newspaper
...

Room was big and very confortable. Heating in the bathroom was fast and efficient.

Spa area is good with Sauna, haman and "swimming pool" that is in fact a big jacuzi. One cannot swim in it. It's costing 50$ per day but steam bath is very well done and I strongly recommend to relax a couple of hours there.

on the minus(or less plus)
1. I tried both the continental breakfast on ground floor and "à la carte" on the first floor restaurant. Ok breakfast but nothing impressive, except the price maybe, very expensive (((

2. The restaurant is a one star Michelin but probably on American standard. Food was ok but nothing compared to a french one star Restaurant. Food was served very quickly (starter+main course. a small bottle of wine expedited in 43 minutes), waiters, though very friendly, were also a bit noisy.

But still, I'll be back there.

A big plus to the reception, Valet guys and concierge that ensure that my short stay could be optimized and thanks to the driver of the Maserati who was a perfect gentlemen that fit 100% with the car.

Room Tip: Room 1103 is one of the few with terrace. Swimming pool is not existant, in fact it's a very war...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business