“Absolutely Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked a suite to stay in Manhattan for our son's graduation from NYU. We checked in on Wednesday AM and checked out on Friday PM. As soon as we pulled up to the door, the bellhop warmly greeted us and our luggage was instantly removed from the car. We were running late to the first graduation ceremony, and we wanted to just leave the car and get to Yankee Stadium. We told the doorman and the receptionist that we were in a hurry, and could they help us with directions. They could not have been more enthusiastic and helpful!!! They got us on our way armed with several options for public transportation and cabs to get us where we needed to be. It was a very warm welcome.

When we returned and go into the room, wow! The room was magnificent, the beds perfect, and every encounter with staff was warm and welcoming. They could not have been more helpful.

As our first day unfolded, we had a change of sleeping plans, and we suddenly found our 19 year old son and our 13 year old daughter we going to have to stay with us (as opposed to their brother's apartment). I informed the receptionist and asked if we need another room. Instead, they offered that we had a suite with plenty of room, and why not bring in roll away beds. They even waived the extra fees for the beds. Again they could not be more gracious and accommodating.

My kids LOVED the roll away beds. These were not your usual roll away, but rather full sized, perfectly made, luxurious portable beds. All good.

Over the past year, we have stayed at the Ritz in London, the Sacher in Salzburg, The Beau Rivage in Lausanne and The Angleterre in Geneva. Our experience at the Langham is as good as any of those world class hotels.

We are so happy to have found this home away from home in Manhattan. I will be staying much more often in the future. I highly recommend that you try it.

3 Thank Ronald R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burnaby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

For a high-end hotel on Fifth Avenue, my overall experience was "average". The facilities were nice, staff were friendly, and my room was spacious and clean....all very much expected of a hotel of this calibre, nothing really “wowed” me.

My big disappointment came when I left a pair of shoes in the hall closet. Three hours after checking out, I realized this and went back to the front desk to retrieve my shoes. The desk clerks were helpful, but in the end, after only three hours, my shoes had disappeared and were never turned in by either new guest who had occupied the room after me nor the housekeeping staff. I contacted the hotel every day for a week following my stay. but my shoes never appeared. This to me is very suspicious and I'm disappointed that my shoes were not returned. So a tip for you, regardless of the quality of hotel, be careful of where you put your personal belongings, they may disappear.

Room Tip: Be careful of where you put your personal belongings, they may disappear.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank S G
LanghamPlaceNYC F, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We truly regret that we were not able to locate your shoes. When any item is reported missing, our Security and Housekeeping Teams "sweep" the entire guest room in question.
Would you be able to provide us with a photo of your shoes, date of purchase and cost?
It would be my pleasure to further look into this matter. When an item has been left behind in a guest room specifically, we have been successful to locate them.
You may reach me at 212-613-8733 or at anne.maurice@langhamhotels.com

Anne-J Maurice
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have traveled the world over, and, for our first trip to NYC, I had a vision of a modern, high rise hotel midtown, a combination of simplicity, elegance, yet class. After reading reviews on this site, we reserved a studio suite, and... this simply surpassed any expectations we had. From the moment we set foot in the lobby, we were greeted with warmth, smiles, and we were made to feel at home. These warm feelings persisted throughout our entire stay, every staff member was of the same caliber. Our room was outstanding, minimalist yet classy, beautifully appointed and unexpectedly large. Being avid coffee drinkers, having a Nespresso machine in the room--and being able to help ourselves to sodas the minibar--without feeling to be nickel-and-dimed every time we wanted to help ourselves was a big plus. The room and service were not the only part of the attraction to this place: unexpectedly, the restaurant also was. I will write a separate review for our dinner there. We had our four breakfasts at Al Fiori's, and these were simply the best hotel breakfasts we ever had... even the "simple" continental menu was superb, and it was an excellent value for the quality. Overall, this is one of the best hotels in which we have stayed, ever... what could make it better? a romantic quiet rooftop or high-rise lounge (perhaps a couple of rooms could be converted?)... and having a pool like that shown for the Langham Place in Hong-Kong would be heavenly... A minor criticism, the fitness room was not very inspiring, but I did not come there to exercise! We will be back, most certainly, as if the quality and value continue to be as they are, there would be no point in choosing any other hotel!

Room Tip: The corner studio unit we had (1201) was superb.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tangovet
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a family for three nights for my graduation trip and the staff kindly upgraded us to a suite for celebration. Parents said they had the best sleep ever which was particularly appreciated since they were recovering from jet lag. I used the gym everyday which was fantastic, not to mention the Nespresso and nice biscotti we enjoyed. Service was always prompt, polite and staff were all smiles which is hard to come by in NYC. Location was good, a close enough walk to Times Square and a short taxi ride away to most attractions and good restaurants. Would return!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days at the beginning of May. When we checked in the hotel was called Setai Fifth Avenue but it changed hands during our stay. Other than a change to the exterior sign and some menu changes, this takeover had no impact on our stay.

The hotel is classy and modern in style, also smells very nice on entering the lobby!. Staff were friendly and attentive at all times. Our room, an Empire State Suite was beautiful with a fantastic view straight onto the Empire State Building. Everything was stylish and modern and pretty much what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. We had lunch in the hotel bar which was excellent and we had breakfast twice in the hotel restaurant which was also excellent. Another reviewer points out that it is on the pricey side but that it IS a 5* hotel and therefore this is to be expected and I agree totally with this. There are plenty of restaurants/bars/diners within easy walking distance for when you feel like a less expensive meal.

There is a very relaxed 'vibe' to this hotel which I loved and the service is impeccable. From the house-keeping staff to the bar-staff and front desk, I could not fault any one that I encountered or dealt with. The doormen and concierges are very friendly,polite and knowledgeable and very good at what they do, nothing is too much trouble.

My daughter and I used the spa and while expensive, it was probably one of the best massages that I've ever had.

I am hoping to return to NY next year and will most definitely stay here again.

2 Thank hearts21
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent Memorial Day weekend at this hotel. Check in was seemless. Was in my room within 5 minutes after arriving.
Pros:
1. Excellent location. 5th ave between 36th and 37th street. Can walk to Times Square, Empire State, Penn Station and Shops on 5th. Plenty of 5 star restaurants nearby.
2. Polished staff. staff very helpful and not overly hovering over you.
3. Lobby is perfect size. After a day/night on the town, or a business meeting, you do not have to walk thru an enormous overcrowded lobby to get to your room. Front door to elevator 50 feet.
4. Complementary beverages in room
5. Classy

Cons:
1. Breakfast a little pricey. But what do you expect. You are in a top 5 star hotel.

Will stay here again.

1 Thank aerdmd
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is simply wonderful. We had a beautiful room that was clean and very spacious, the location of the hotel is superb along with the friendliness and helfulness of the staff makes it the best ever. We are looking forward to going back and we won't bother looking elsewhere for a better hotel. This one beats them all.

Room Tip: We had a corner room that was large, bright and very quiet.