“Perfect end to our honeymoon”

Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #25 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect end to our honeymoon”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Full disclosure: I used a discount booking site where one learns the hotel after paying. I expected luxurious surroundings but mediocre service. I was wrong, the service was above and beyond! (Right about the surroundings, the room was great.)

We had just come from the Caribbean and our cold weather clothes were a mess after being in storage. No problem, they'll send someone up to collect the items, press them, and even deliver them earlier than initially asked. Not only did this save us the time of running around Manhattan to find a launderer but they didn't charge us for the service; first 5 pieces are complimentary.

After a day of walking around the city my husband needed his shoes polished before heading to the ballet. They were picked up and returned in 15 minutes! Again, we were amazed how swiftly this was done and with no charge.

Both day's breakfast were delivered in a timely manner and delicious. My husband did complain the eggs were cold but come on, realistic expectations here, the cook is not frying them in the hall! The espresso machine in the room was great too. And we both loved that we could grab a soda from the mini-bar and not wince at the usual $5 charge- all drinks are free.

The room was nice, I find it hard to say much about a room... it was larger than I expected, bed was comfortable, nice large closet, good storage space in the bathroom (something I'm beginning to notice is an issue w/ many hotels), loved the deep bathtub. Not so in love with the scent of the bath products or the lobby, it was a bit like Abercrombie, over perfumed, but a minor flaw.

Overall, I'm very glad we got this hotel for our last hurrah before heading home. We felt very well taken care of and it was a perfect ending to our honeymoon (we didn't tell anyone, so we weren't given any special treatment) We'd love to stay here again and would recommend it to anyone visiting New York.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Bar on Fifth (Setai Hotel Lobby Bar) is upscale with excellent drinks and excellent service. Between 8pm - 11pm you will enjoy the live jazz band. The drinks are pricey at about $16 which is normal for NYC. They also provide you with a nice little dish with nuts/pretzels/etc.. Just down the street from the NYC Public Library and Lord & Taylor. We did not stay at the hotel, drinks only.

1 Thank moxiefox
Munich
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My first visit to The Setai which was comfortable but was expecting much more based on what I had heard. Location is not so good but manageable. My company has much traffic into the City and we will not necessarily return when we have many other choices.

We asked to speak with a senior manager to discuss some problems and it seemed asking too much. Our planner received a voice mail instead of an in person meeting.

The food was good but stayed out for sometime. The servers did not always look clean and neat.
Reception personnel absent from area many times during our breaks when needed.
Rooms were large and satisfying.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
zagreb
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have been staying at the Setai for the weekend in a King deluxe room. The staff was very welcoming and nice. The private assistant I contacted over email before our trip arranged all our dinner plans and we loved all the places she picked. Also we couldnt come the weekend before, because our flight was cancelled due to a snow storm and the hotel waved any fees. The room was big, which sometimes in New York can be a problem. Overall it felt clean and slick. The location is great, if you come as a tourist. We really liked it and would stay there again.

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Setai is in a league of it's own because it offers more than just a beautiful property with great amenities for your dollar...the true clincher is that the service is sensational! I was thrilled with the level of attention offered to our party from every employee.

The short story is that the property is beautiful, modern, and spacious. It is in close proximity to almost everything we wanted to do/see, with the best in shopping only footsteps away. We felt spoiled, appreciated, and will DEFINITELY go back. The longer story is below... :)

I love the Setai's approach to service through the personal assistants, and they do not disappoint. Big smiles and lovely attitudes were apparent with them all.
Louis spoke with me over the phone before I even left home. He seemed genuinely interested in accommodating my room requests and in answering my barrage of questions. I felt welcome before I ever arrived! Sohee, who I also had the opportunity to speak with prior to my arrival, was equally as wonderful! (I was touched by her delivery of some special magazines and chocolates to my room...all this because she knew my heart's desire and paid attention.)

Brett handled our bags and general questions with ease and warm hospitality. He always knew our names and worked with the amazing doormen to secure the hotel's complimentary Maserati for us at the drop of a hat. Jonathon is an asset in this capacity, as well!

I cannot say enough good things about Brian. He went out of his way to personally escort us to our sensational rooms. His manner was professional, yet personable. His attention to all of the details was not lost on any of us. He listened intently to our wants and needs, from rooms to restaurants, and exceeded every expectation we had. I am hooked on the Setai, and this is due in no small part to the beautiful Empire Suite we enjoyed at Brian's hands. It was truly sensational. The amount of space was impressive, from the square footage to the soaking tub. The clean lines kept everything feeling modern with furnishings and decor. We thoroughly enjoyed the TV in the bathroom mirror. My husband was able to work in the desk area, while I was able to relax in any corner of the suite...such a lovely accommodation.

It is obvious that this beautiful property has earned its 5 stars in my book, but the truth is, the STAFF are what make the difference for me. They are truly a 5 star collection of individuals that excel in each of their positions. I hate to be so over the top with my praise, as it may seem impossible that it could be true, but that is the beauty of it! They made everything possible for us on our über special trip.

Lillijana and the other fantastic housekeeping staff took excellent care of our hotel suite. We had a later check out that had to be made even later on a second request via cell phone as I hurried from 34th street shopping. I appreciate the housekeeping and front desk graciousness. I am so grateful for this courtesy. It is no small gift to have had this later checkout, as we had a late evening flight. This was one of the last "tastes" of the hotel, if you will. It left us feeling appreciated and less stressed out as we made our departure. That is important!

The doormen at the Setai are fabulous! I did not get everyone's name, but I can say that they were all outstanding. (I believe that two of them were Frank and Joel.) Gabriel greeted us upon arrival and set the perfect tone for our entire stay. Michael is irreplaceable. I will be immensely disappointed if I return and am not greeted with that megawatt smile and special gift for delivering 5 star service. The care he delivers EVERY time I was around him was impressive.

The bartenders and waitperson in the beautiful bar were always outstanding. The cocktails were some of the best I have ever tasted. Ginger, cayenne, fresh herbs and juices…mmmmMM!

Because we were always out and about, I usually missed the staff that provided the much-appreciated turn down service. Fresh waters and chocolate chip cookies, along with slippers and small touches made our arrival back "home" such a treat each evening. We also appreciated the complimentary pressing of 5 items upon arrival.

I am a fan; that is what I have to say. All four of us (two couples) were exceedingly pleased with every aspect of the Setai Fifth Avenue. Their central location to shopping and action, the amenities, and service-oriented staff created the perfect environment. I could not be happier with our experience. We loved how each member seemed to support each other, especially "behind their backs." It really inspired confidence and excitement that we were in the right place!

Room Tip: We stayed in an Empire Suite that had a beautiful view of the Empire State Building. We were on the...
2 Thank southernfirecracker
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I enjoyed my time at the Setai Fifth Avenue. From beginning to end, everything was taken care of. I was greeted at the curb, bags then taken by guest services and brought up to the room. Check-in was a breeze. A friendly welcoming, a list of everything free and a genuine "have a nice day", set the tone. The first thing I noticed that was different about this hotel was the scent throughout. Apparently they have air diffusers providing 3 different scents. I don't know what they were, but it was a welcoming addition to my experience. The room was nice, bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was huge. I did say there was free things, mostly beverages in the mini fridge and an assortment of capsules for the Nespresso machine. There's also chauffeured car provided by the hotel to get your around the area upon request. The car is a Maserati, so if you have time, ask to be taken somewhere.

Room Tip: I don't think you'll be disappointed with any room. Try to get one with a street view, unle...
1 Thank dgavin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Just a quick note saying how awesome our weekend was. At The Setai you have a personal assistant who calls you before you get there. Ours was Sohee and she was excellent. She emailed us asking how she could help, whether it was for dinner reservations, shopping or just to ask if we needed anything. Our room was a studio king and for NY it was huge. The location in midtown was perfect for our leisure weekend of walking around. All in all a great stay.

Room Tip: Try the white burger at Al Fiori
1 Thank David N