“First Class all the way”

The Langham New York Fifth Avenue
Ranked #22 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 30, 2013

What an outstanding hotel! Rooms are spacious and gorgeous, the staff is top notch - the best I've encountered in NYC. The only quibble I had was the portion size to price ratio at Ai Fiori. While the food was outstanding, the appetizers were all of two bites and the entrees three. Leaving still hungry after a $200 bill is unacceptable. Other than that, I'm guessing this one of the best values in the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deb L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,397)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

In November of 2012, my girlfriend and I visited New York for a girls week-end and we were lucky enough to stay at the Setai. Everything really was perfect from start to finish. I do prefer to stay downtown versus mid-town and the Setai would be the only reason I would choose not to stay in Soho. This hotel is an excellent hotel largely due to its incredible staff. Customer service is their number one priority. The staff at the Setai were never stuffy nor did they pretend to be "fancy". This is an unpretentious hotel and I love that. We stayed in the most basic room on a lower floor with no views but it did not matter. The decor was so relaxing and the room was quite large for New York standards with big closets, lovely lighting and a beautiful big bathroom with a lovely tub. Toiletries were fabulous and the complimentary nespresso and stocked fridge was a very nice touch. I cannot forget to mention the delicious pretzel and mustard we received at the end of the day. This hotel is about the service and the beautiful rooms and not about a fancy lobby. The Lobby area is quite small. There is a bar and restaurant but we did not eat or drink at the hotel on this trip. One tip -- call down to the concierge to see if the Maserati is available. We did not have luck going downtown for dinner but we did manage a ride with the wonderful driver up to Saks on the Sunday afternoon. What a nice treat! I would definitely stay at the Setai next time I am in New York. The Setai does not come cheap but it does offer GREAT value for the money spent. It looks like this hotel is now owned by the Langham Group. I am not sure how much things will change but maybe the Setai can be even better! If you are looking for nice restaurants may I recommend Raoul's and Mercer Kitchen both on Prince Street in Soho. Delicious and great atmosphere. Don't forget to visit Cupcakes by Melissa, Birdbath cafe and the Balthazar Bakery (small little side shop) for morning cappucino delicious baked goods. Enjoy. Wish I was going back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed previously, we were expecting great things again, however not everything was as top notch as it was on our previous stay, nothing major but enough that it was noticeable! We found out as we were leaving that the property has or is being sold. Staff were still excellent, the best in NYC. However standards have slipped a little in recent months!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank MkMark
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Everything was perfect, allowed for early check in, great lounge, breakfast in the room was delicious, staff was helpful but not overbearing. Cappuccino maker in the room came in handy, and the hotel was centrally located. The bathroom was beautiful and the tub was massive. I felt guilty filling it but did it anyway and it was great. One of my best stays anywhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at the Setai with my wife and three teens. I usually get 2 rooms when we travel, but the cost of the Setai made me go more economical with a single Capella Double room. It turned out to be a great decision. The room was large, with plenty of storage space, and a very large, beautiful bathroom. I was a little concerned about possible noise level on Fifth avenue, particularly at night, but our room was extremely quiet. The attention to creating a very luxurious room was appreciated, and the bed and pillows were some of the most comfortable I have experienced while traveling. The staff at the hotel were friendly, very helpful, and always available. The location is perfect for exploring NYC, and most attractions were within walking distance, or a short subway ride away. (Avoid taking cabs if possible!!!) I also appreciated the free clothes pressing/shoe shine our first night. All in all, a true 5 star hotel worthy of the most discerning traveler.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2013

A great hotel in a great location, not too far from anything. The staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble for the 'personal assistants' ! The rooms are of a good size, spotlessly clean, and well appointed, the 'free' minibar is also a plus.

My only complaint would be the lack of hot water on our final day, while outside of the hotels control, we were not informed (despite being told a letter had been placed under our door) and no other options were available, making for a lovely ice cold shower :)

Apart from this, its a fantastic choice!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor if you can, quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had a great one night stay in the Empire 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite.

When we arrived, the front desk was warm and welcoming and congratulated us on a “special event” that I told my “personal assistant” Narissa about. We were quickly escorted to our room and given a brief tour. I would say the general feel of the hotel was low key, unobtrusive European service.

The suite was beautiful and immaculate. While modern, I did not find it impersonal or stark, but tasteful and very comfortable. The refrigerator was fully stocked with soft drinks and water. The Duxania mattress and linens were extremely comfortable and provided an excellent sleep.
The bathroom was large and luxurious, the shower pressure just right.

Prior to our arrival, I asked Narrisa to arrange for a particular dessert, not on the room service or restaurant menu, be served in our suite at a specific time. She assured me it would be taken care of – and it was, along with a bottle of Champagne, thoughtfully provided.

Definitely a five star experience for me and highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends