“Uncommited and unengaged management. Waste of money and estate” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Uncommited and unengaged management. Waste of money and estate”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We booked the Empire State buidling suites and had high hopes. The floor plan was not attractve but on the first night we observed flocks of hair at the separation of the bath room and hall way as well as in the separate bathroom. I enformed the concierge en she indicated that she would immediately take careof it as well as change the room. Tihis was on November 25. A couple of hrs later after dinner nothing had happened and I went back to the reception asking for the manager. Someone, Bryan, the manager?, came to the room sweept his hand and picked up several flocks of hair. He was embarassed and would take care of it: changing the rooms the next day and cleaning up. We stayed 3 days, nothing happened, request for chanfe of room was not ven in the system. Friendy personnel, but uncommited, no customer focus and no management presence, will definitely not come back to this hotel. Wasted 3,600.00 dollars.

Stayed October 2012
9 Thank Evhsf
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We truly regret any inconvenience caused to you during your stay. We greatly value your business and would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back, at a later date. It would be my pleasure to assist with your future stay, to include a complimentary upgrade to a Suite.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

Anne- J Maurice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Almaty, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed five nights in Setai and the experience overall was more than satisfying. Not only we were upgraded to the King Suite with the most breathtaking view, but we were also pleased with welcoming staff and service in the room. The complimentary mini bar and, for coffee lovers - Nespresso coffee machine, room equipped with most advanced technology - whats there not to love? Occasionally, we used Maserati provided complimentary by the hotel which took us to several places in town. The Maserati driver Jack is a true New Yorker who knows everything about New York - from places to go, sights to see, restaurants to eat, broadway shows, history of NY etc. I personally love pizza and Jack managed to advise us on best pizzerias in town and even the history of pizza making in New York.
Also, the location of the hotel is what you would name as perfect for a tourist or a business visitor - only 2 blocks away from the Empire State Building and only 10 mins walk from Saks Fifth Avenue and main shopping area on 5th ave. Next time we visit NY, we will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: High-level rooms facing Bank of America tower have nice view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Almaty-Texas
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Setai for my birthday. Even though it was last summer I keep telling stories about how great it was so I thought I would write a review.

The night of my birthday my girlfriend and I went out for dinner. When we got back to the hotel we were sitting at the bar and asked one of the bartenders what they recommend doing for the evening. One of the managers was standing near us and offered to call a friend of his that worked at a bar. He called and told us to ask for the manager when we got to the bar. When we got there the club was packed (I believe it was Bomaby which I don't think is there anymore). We told the door guy who we were and the manager came down and met us. He bought our drinks for us all night. The whole bar took care of us like we were old friends.

When we got back to the hotel there was a small chocolate birthday cake waiting for me in our room. The service is impeccable there. The hotel is amazing.

I recommend it all the time when I have friends going to NYC.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We chose to stay at the Setai based on the good reviews it received. Unfortunately we did not have the same good experience. We stayed there for a week and left feeling very let down. We had the classic package that included full american breakfast. On arrival the reception staff told us that they did not have that on their system. I forwarded the email confirming we had breakfast included in the rate and the receptionist said he would send us the breakfast vouchers. What he actually sent me were vouchers for continental breakfast which is of a lower value. I had to call again to set this issue clear and finally get the correct vouchers. Unlike other hotels were they offer the most generous breakfasts at the Setai they are extremely stingy. Full breakfast to them is 2 eggs, 1 sausage, coffee and 1 Juice. For anything else you get charged extra. The free wifi is extremely slow we paid the 15 dollar extra per day. They have all the disney channels apart from Disney Junior, so that they can charge 3.99 or something for 30 minute shows for pre-schoolers. We were never told of the courtesy car they have - they never offered it to us. The room was not being cleaned thoroughly. They change sheets every 3 days. My son had smudged the floor to ceiling mirror in the closet area, those smudges stayed there for 3 days. The doormen would see us coming in with children and bags in arms - would take them quite some time to come and help us. Every night I had to deal with the cigarette smoke from the room next to us. A lot of smoke!!! The positives of the hotel were the size of the rooms, the room service food and the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Elian
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We have made note of your comments, which we appreciate. We have shared your notes regarding the restaurant with the team. We have begun a green initiative to avoid, when possible, the consumption of water. That said, we offer the option to have all linens changed daily, upon request.
The hotel is entirely non-smoking. On rare occasion, we have guests who attempt to smoke, which is unlawful. We truly apologize if you experienced smoke fumes.

We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Setai Fifth Avenue in the future. It would be my pleasure to assist you with any requests you may have.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at the Setai during the first weekend of October for three nights. I was really excited about staying at this five star hotel that has received many great reviews. Our last stay was at Sofitel, and I absolutely loved the service (held your bags, doorman became my friend, gorgeous suite)- Sofitel clearly understands five-star service. The Setai, in my standards, could not deliver when it came to friendly service and hospitality. The concierage did not go out of their way, and the doormen acted more like security guards. The only employee in Setai that actually knew the meaning of real quality five-star service was Brett. Thank you, Brett :) The rest should learn from him!

Here is a breakdown of the Positives and Negatives:
- gave us a room right away as soon as we landed, so easy early check in
- became obsessed with the espresso machine! But, housekeeper was so cheap on providing extra pods
- good location if you are into midtown/Times Square, personally, next time we want to be closer to Central Park
- Gym had good equipment, but dark paint on walls and no windows may be a hard environment for some to work out in, and what's up with the old, bruised fruit?
- the room service was nice and quick (Sheniqua was a friendly voice on the other end)
- free shoe shine and ironing
- even though I was not happy with the hotel, the room itself was great. Our deluxe king room and bathroom was spacious and nice
- mini-fridge
- hotel car, if you can get it, is a maserati
- be careful, since the location is right on fifth ave, lower level room occupants might be able to hear the busy street, we were on floor 15, but I could still hear the hustle and bustle outside from the bathroom only not the room
******* Oh, the icing on the cake, the housekeeper threw away my take-out twice! The first time, grrr, I let it go, but then the next day, my Mario Batali pizza that was not even placed near a garbage was also "cleaned up". The manager was non-chalent and unapologetic.
*** I do not mind paying good money for good service, heck I stay at five-stars to receive it, but Setai was a huge disappointment. Not worth it!

To end on a positive note, make sure you have drinks at the Manadarin one night to enjoy the million dollar view, I love u NYC!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SweetLife07
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback during your recent stay.
We followed up on your comment regarding the Housekeeper removing your food items from the room. When food items are left out and have a smell to them, the Housekeepers typically discard them. We truly apologize if we threw eadible items which you intended on enjoying.
Our gym is among the largest in a hotel in NYC and offers the most up-to-date equipment. Due to the location and size of the Fitness Center, the building configuration does not provide the option for windows.
We regret you did not find our location to be suitable. Our location, highlighted on our website, is very central howerver not overlooking Central Park.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I have tried numerous hotels in NYC without finding one we'd be interested in returning to. The Setai is the first one that hits on that metric.

First off, the location is convenient to both Penn and Grand Central Stations, being only a few blocks walk from each. Close to the E Subway (from JFK) as well. SO far, so good.

Room was huge, and well stocked with water, sodas and Nespresso, all of which are included. It's not cheap by any means, but in NY nothing is, and the hotels we have tried in the $250-$350 range have generally been old, run down places with noisy (and largely non-functional) HVAC. The air system in the room at the Setai got a good amount of chill into the room, and did so quietly. Bravo!

Traffic noise was very muted, with is saying something for NY, the city that never sleeps and never stops blowing the horn on the taxi. The only noise issue was that the doors do not have any kind of damper on the closing/hinge, so if the guest doesn't bother to close the door gently, it slams. That was not an issue on Thursday or Friday of our stay, but Saturday apparently some of the guests on the floor partied late (3-4 am) and then came back too inebriated to bother keeping the noise level down. That interrupted sleep numerous times because of the banging of the doors. Management please take note. Put door closers on the guest rooms, so that the door will close gently and quietly.

Food was expensive but good. Fortunately, my wife is a member of the Leading Hotels program, so we got a $70 breakfast credit daily. That sounds like a lot, but it is about what breakfast for two costs. Service was excellent at times and a bit less so at other times, but no major issues.

All things considered, we enjoyed the Setai very much and will be back.

Room Tip: Join the Leading Hotels program. The couple hundred bucks it costs will be rewarded with a room upg...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

My first time at the setai (about 6 months ago) I was not super impressed. What a difference a few months makes. The service was perfect. Housekeeping came twice each day and there were fresh cookies in the room each evening. We had a larger suite so perhaps that helped. They also have a personal assistant to book stuff for you if you would like which is a nice touch. I was very happy with the room and would even say it may be the best suite yet in NYC beyond the plaza. So why only 4 stars? Their room service menu makes no sense in terms of price. $40 for a Belgium waffle with a choice of hot drink and a main entree (meat) is under $40. How does that make any sense?Also who would actually pay $40 for a Belgium waffle?? Bizarre quirk that for the level of hotel should not exist. Loved the room and service : just will have waffles elsewhere

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We regret that you did not find our room service menu suitable. We provide various breakfast options which include Waffles, choice of a hot beverage and a juice of choice for $40. This cost is in-line with most NYC hotels.

We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to your return. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist in any way.