“The best hotel, in the world!”

The Langham New York Fifth Avenue
Ranked #21 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We recently stayed at the Setai as part of our honeymoon to the USA and I felt compelled to write a review to comment on how fantastic the hotel was. Like many of the reviewers of this hotel we had excellent communication from their Personal Assistant, in our case Kimberly Small. Kimberly was outstanding and did everything possible to make our stay the best it could possibly be. I think that this part of the hotel service sets the Setai apart from any hotel that we have ever stayed at.
The attention to detail at this hotel is superb and we could not find fault with any part of the Setai, the room was out of this world, we had a suite which offered fantastic space and style. The turn down service offered by the hotel is unbelievably good. In short, everything was perfect.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will definitely return. It is perfect in every way.

Location wise, also perfect for all the sites and there are some amazing restaurants nearby as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,395)

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary quite recently. From the moment we arrived at the hotel, we could sense that the hotel was understaffed and not immune from the commotion of the surrounding area. For example, when our cab pulled to the front of the property, one of the front desk clerks actually had to run outside to assist us with our bags (as the bellman/door man) were busy. Once we were able to enter the (very small) lobby area, there was a wait to check in... understaffed.... The hotel elevators were very busy....we had to wait for one of the four elevators for a number of minutes each time.... the rooms, though nice, were dark and did not have movies on demand.... So, overall, a nice property.. but ABSOLUTELY NOT at the same level as the Penninsula Hotel down the street.... this property should her really considered 4.5 stars... not 6 stars.... understaffed .....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ted S
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at The Langham New York Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.We truly regret that you did not feel that our service levels were where they should be. We pride ourselves our ensuring that every guest is looked after, with the most care.
There are certain times of the day, when the hotel is fully committed, that the elevator wait time takes up to, no more than 2 minutes. We apologize if you experienced this wait during your visit.
We are delighted to confirm that we will be offering video on demand as of September.
While we commit to offering an ultra-luxury experience, we do not label ourselves with a specific star rating. Based on the services, amenities and product, we believe we provide the best hotel experience in New York City.

It would be my pleasure to personally handle your future accommodations. I may be reached at 212-613-8733 or at anne.maurice@setaififthavenue.com

Anne-J. Maurice

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Outstanding hotel! I have travelled extensively, and stayed in many hotels worldwide. The Setai Fifth Avenue in New York is exceptional. The rooms are stylishly appointed, in a minimilistic way, and the service from all staff has been exceptional. The complimentary coffee and drinks in the room is a nice touch, as is free wi-fi facility. Room service from delivery to quality was perfectly executed. Will definitely return, and recommend the hotel highly.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony R
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed Ina studio suite for a long weekend. The rooms are large reasonably priced and very clean. Excellent bedding and wonderful housekeeping who went out of their way to help with clothes pressing needs. An outstanding experience once checked in.

The checking in process was a disaster with the front desk staff running a credit card three times for different amounts and thereby security locking the card. It took thirty minutes to resolve the issue.

Room service took a long time and was overpriced as always.

As long as you do not mind a rather eclectic front desk experience this is a great hotel and we will return.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank AJR50Pittsburgh

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. We sincerely apologize for any challenges you experienced during your check-in process. Regrettably, technical glitches, which we cannot always control, happen.

Please let me know if I can assist with your next visit. It would be my pleasure to personally handle your reservation.

Anne-J Maurice

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

My husband booked the room for a night in the city for my birthday. An assistant called him prior to our arrival and asked if there was anything she could do. He just told her it was my birthday. When we arrived there was a bottle of chilled champagne, a fruit plate, chocolates and rose petals scattered around it. In the bathroom there were more rose petals around the tub with candles. It was really something to see. They went out of their way to make my day special. The room was modern, I loved it. It was really a great stay. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank pandl0906
Reviewed August 6, 2012

It is difficult to find fault with the Setai: the location is bang in the middle of Manhattan, the decor is sharp and service is great throughout. The quality of food at breakfast and in the Bar on Fifth was excellent. The only downside during our stay was a consistent shortage of staff on the front desk.

Room Tip: Choose an 02 rather than 01 ending Apartment Suite for a more attractive layout and a much better ni...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I am at the Setai with my 16 year old daughter, still here actually, but sadly checking out today. We came to Manhattan for her to visit her uncle who lives here and to celebrate my older daughter's new first post college job in the area. My recent college graduate stayed with us several nights and commuted. It was a cinch for her to catch the subway to her job in Brooklyn in the Dumbo area. And the roomy suite made it easy for her to grab something to eat, have Nespresso coffee, have her shower in the amazing bathroom, read the paper, and get ready to venture out. The walk to the subway was also not bad, just down Fifth Avenue in Herald Square.

Our suite is the perfect choice for this occasion. I booked a deluxe apartment suite, after considering booking a studio suite. I have been thrilled that I decided on the apartment suit due to the setup with a door separating the living room from the bedroom, giving us extra room to spread out and relax without disturbing whoever was resting. It comes with the most comfortable bed and bedding you could ask for. The duvet cover is of the softest, best quality I have seen. It is hard to force myself to get out of bed in the morning. It was also very convenient with the extra half bath for getting dressed and ready to depart.

I was asked if I needed anything when we checked in. Immediately I was offered additional hangers, which came in handy because between us we had a lot of clothes for different things we were doing. There is a typical hotel closet AND an additional deep closet so everything fit perfectly. There are also 4 nice built in drawers and a ledge perfect for setting a suitcase on. There are two drawers in each nighhtstand, along with cordless phones on each side, a nice clock, dimmer switch lights on the lamps, as well as convenient outlets to charge phones on each side. The Samsung TV's in the bedroom and the living room were large and of high quality. Wifi access was free and reliable, which came in handy with all of our multiple devices and very much needed due to all of our separate coming and going.

What was important to me above all was location and view. On both points this suite exceeds any expectation I had. We had meals in all corners of the city, visited museums, shopped, visited my brother's office and apartment, all via short cab ride, with the exception of an amazing ride in the Maserati to the Metropolitan museum that my 16 year old and I will not soon forget! I can't imagine an easier spot to use as a base in Manhattan. If traffic is stopped in one area, there are alternate routes.

As far as the view, one side of this bedroom has a large double floor to ceiling window towards the Hudson, facing Fifth Avenue, the other has a view of Fifth Avenue for many blocks, along with a perfect view of the Empire State building. Two sets of double windows in the separate living room give us additional views of that building, although wew have to look up to see the top.

So far, when I run out of bottled water, soft drinks, Nespresso pods or cream, all I have to do is call, and it appears, the Nespresso pods are replenished without any request. We have also received daily treats, like cookies and pretzels and the best popcorn I have ever eaten in my life (I think butter is involved!) delivered to the room, several times a day if we are in.

I used the wonderful gym on the third floor this morning. They have a number of good weight machines, 6 or so good quality treadmills with tv's built in, and complimentary earbuds, chilled bottle water and even apples for guests.

I really like the quality of all the furnishings. They are comfortable, understated, and clean. It is nice to have lots of surfaces for our purchases on from our shopping excursions on Fifth Ave. There is room under the table where the bedroom tv sits to slide your suitcases out of the way. I appreciate the floor to ceiling bookcases in both the bedroom and living room and all the art books placed there. The huge marbled bathroom with wonderful deep soaking tub, large glass enclosed separate large marble shower with great shower head and top quality decorative file was wonderful. The marble bathroom floors were cool, which I enjoyed, along with the wonderful floor to ceiling windows and nice blind system. There was even a thermostat driven floor heater to warm the marble floor in the bathroom as well as and a small orchid plant. The same floor to ceiling double windows brought beautiful light with a bonus view towards the Chrysler building into the bathroom, and there was great blinds for privacy. Everything has been thought of in the hotel.

Another plus of the apartment suite is the fridge and freezer. Manuela at the front desk gave us directions the first day to an organic market a few blocks away, and we stocked up with fruit and yogurt and another items. We also had leftovers from our restaurant meals so the fridge was perfect. We loved going during summer Restaurant Week, and really splurged. Again, the central location facilitated our ability to try restaurants in different neighborhoods, expanding convenient dining choices.

I can't say enough about the service we are enjoying here. The doorman, the house car driver, the front desk staff, the housecleaning and supplies stockers were all very professional and very accommodating. Manuela at the front desk from Italy remembered my last name from the time I checked in, as did Ashley and Kimberly. They graciously provided an umbrella when it rained. I spoke to a security person named Rodney after we left to track down an item we could not find when we got home, and he took extra effort to help me, even calling me back promptly after he reserached the small item. I did not use the spa due to traveling with my 16 year old, but I did tour it. It is a very nice set up, very roomy and serene. Nice space, great amenities, you could spend a day here for sure. I hope to return with my husband and try it out. We also did not eat at the hotel restaurant but I did go down and have a drink with my older daughter one night in the bar. It had comfy sitting areas to enjoy the live jazz band which we very much enjoyed.

Be sure and ask for a map at the front desk, it was a good map of Manhattan, with easy to follow info on the subway system and a magnified map on the back of the immediate area.

I can't wait to come back to the Setai. I may not need a suite the next time for my husband and myself but I sure would prefer one!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family