“A Classy Hotel in a Central Location”

Langham Place, New York
Ranked #21 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I can honestly say I have done my homework with NYC hotels, simply because the choice is endless. We finally chose the Setai for our 3 night, child-free stay in the City because it seemed to exude luxury - something you don't often get when 2 small children are in tow. We weren't disappointed. This is a classy hotel in a central location.
We stayed in a large terrace suite which had a queen bed, a seating area, a dressing area, an enormous bathroom with walk-in shower and the biggest bath you are ever likely to see. While you couldn't really see much from the terrace itself, it was a bonus to be able to lay out in the 'fresh' air and listen to the noise of NYC below. Nice touches generally in the room, include: a television in the bathroom mirror (things you never knew you needed), a free soft drinks mini bar, a nespresso machine and lovely biscuits/popcorn at turn-down.
As you would expect in a 5* hotel, the staff were all courteous, friendly and helpful, with some great insights for places to eat from the concierge. The spa was fabulous - we really didn't have enough time to do all the different treatment rooms justice but I can thoroughly recommend a massage. The bar was good.
Perhaps my husband's favourite benefit of the hotel was the Maserati which gave us a ride to our dinner date. You can't book it but if you speak to the doorman on your way out in the evening, he can advise you if you're likely to be able to use the car and the waiting time.
None of the main sights are very far from the hotel; the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, the Chrysler Building, the Rockerfeller Plaza and the 5th avenue shops are all an easy walk. Real finds for us this time were the High Line, Bryant Park and Daniel restaurant.
To summarise, a great hotel if you want class, service and a little bit of luxury. Don't come here if you want trendy, hip interiors with parties going on in to the early hours. Not this time anyway...

4  Thank SarahGReading
There are newer reviews for Langham Place, New York

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stay here when in NYC for work, I have stayed in other hotels, Marriott Marquis on Time Square and Algonquin an autograph hotel on 44th street, neither even come close to the Setai, the rooms are modern, clean and fresh, with great space in the bathroom for your toiletries, they also replenish their toiletries daily without fail and offer all the extras, like body sponge, comb, cotton buds and pads, you seriously don't need to take anything with you other than your toothbrush and tooth paste.
Last time I was there I requested a DVD player to do my exercise dvd in the room, although I checked in at 1am, they came up and fitted it for me to have in the morning, and yes the room was big enough for me to do my work out DVD too!
The turn down service with cookies or other treats is a really nice touch and the complimentary drinks are great to grab as heading out the door on your way to work and rushing!
All in all, I now only stay elsewhere if the Setai is full, otherwise I stay here (even forfeiting collecting Marriott points, because this hotel is honestly worth it!)

Also if you are traveling on your own and a woman I can honestly say I felt very safe at this hotel, the staff make you feel like they know all the guests and this made me feel like they would notice if someone was walking around and not staying at the hotel, plus the lift nly works with a valid room key, looking forward to returning on the 13th August again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hayley B
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I took my older children for a long weekend to NYC on July 19th. We stayed at The Setai for four nights, and it could not have been more wonderful. The service was excellent, from the front desk to the housekeeping. The hotel is contemporary, but not cold. It felt quiet and welcoming when we came back from a busy day. We stayed in a double queen suite because there were three of us, and the room was HUGE; we didn't feel like we were on top of each other at all. I've read some reviews that said the rooms were noisy. Ours was on the 10th floor and very quiet.

The location was also perfect for us. It seemed really centrally located to everything that we wanted to do...broadway play, Shopping on 5th Ave, Central Park, SOHO, West Village. Everything was either an easy walk or a quick subway ride away. I couldn't have asked for a better hotel experience. Won't bother staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Room on 10th floor facing 5th Ave was very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Continuing celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, we booked Suite for 3 nights for the price of 2.

Pros:
-Very polite, friendly and helpful staff, will go out of their way to ensure your stay is happy.
-Always address by Mrs... or Mr...
-Will accommodate you with the best that's available if capacity too full
-I like check in and check out any time, but out of consideration for other guests and room service staff, we checked in at 3:00 PM and checked out at 3:00pm again out of consideration for other guests, even though we could have left later and I wanted to. There for since we were busy with other matters, we did everything we planned on our checkout day and were very satisfied to not have missed on anything we planed.
-Non alcoholic drinks in fridge plenty. And what a marvelous idea was to suggest us if we only drink water then they will replenish it only with water, if you need more they will deliver, but we always had enough.
-N espresso is great in the room, I have one home and addicted to it, so if you finish all of the coffee offered, call in the evening and they will deliver you more to have in the morning.
-Quiet rooms so if you meditate, its great/or want to take siesta or fall asleep early, notify front desk not to be disturbed if your sign is on. The only time someone will knock are the fridge/coffee replenish or bring you cookies and will do turn down service if you desire.
-For a suite the accommodation was huge and when the person knocked to deliver ice I was in the bathroom and it was a walk to get to the door, after I opened the door he thought no one was in and was about to leave, I thought that was funny explaining to him that it was a long walk to the door.
-The rooms are well appointed and the decor is pleasant to the eyes. Room and Hotel itself is very clean.
-If you are like me staying in 5 stars hotels the bathroom are pretty much the same in renovated hotels, ours was huge and I loved the window in the bathroom, we've been partying often in there while waiting for my service dog to finish his dinner, he is spoiled and wants us to be around when he its.
-Two TVs are standard in NYC for suits. And if you never sow TV in the mirror, I somehow felt the screen was bigger than in other hotels.
-Bed is comfortable, so are pillows, I absolutely adored the style of the windows, honestly that was my first choice to stay in Setai, provides with ability to look down without stretching.
your neck. And lower window opens from the top which is less scarier than from the bottom as in Trump Soho.
-If after your room was cleaned and you noticed that something wasn't replenished - a phone call away and a minute of wait.
-If your top cover not on the bed with little neck pillow, it is most likely in the closet.
-Loved the Foyer, Powder room with the door.
-Real walk in room closet.
-Bath tub is for two and the biggest I was in aside from that in Mercer.
-Rain Shower.
-the hotel has Souna and Steam room, Gym, with private room for floor exercise alone or with personal trainer.
-If you take advantage of their spa, you also receive access to whirl pool, ha-mam, and rain shower from all over top, walls (this kind of shower was my first time experience to see) and plenty of healthy snack and fruits and drinks. The spa person will be more than happy to give you the tour. We did the tour of the hotel while waiting for our room cleaned.
-We didn't use the bar or restaurant, because my husband already planned the places to eat ahead of arrival and it is his department. If you are like us who enjoy rather unquiet ambiance the kind that no one can hear your conversation we liked Dallas and Irish Pub a block away. We drink protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, but the day of our check out we walked over to Barking Dog which is famous for their Pancakes which I like and my husband ordered eggs and mixed breakfast meats.plate. Don't order toast, it comes with the good size bun.
-Places to see Bryant Park, always something going on there, there is a watering whole and instead of benches there are chairs and tables. Which are scattered all over and you can find private spot to enjoy and then move to another spot that is what we were doing. I also think the chairs for the reason that a person don't make a bed out of it. Park is opened until 9PM. Security is present. Oh and they also have ping pong table there to rent.
-Library a must see, I've been there many times when I was studying in University. But being there as a tourist is not the same experience, things I missed. They always have something in the exhibition room that is unique theme.
-AC is quiet and works perfect with 3 room temperature thermostats.
-Not like I ever seen in other hotels the channels managary is organized in sections, where each section of channels is listed in TV guide with consecutive numbers. I don't recall seeing such in other hotels.

Cons: non I can think of. If you are experienced traveler you know what to do, if you are not, don't upset yourself with something that wasn't done the way you expected, just ask they are there to ensure you leave Setai Happy.
-Suites are expensive, but once you try one you cannot go below, but in my opinion there is nothing like staying in the suit. But if you are in New York Sight Seeing and believe me you will be disappointing not booking longer stay, but even if it is longer stay you still will not have enough days to see all. We've been coming to NYC on vacation 12 times and still didn't see everything we wanted to see. But since we are local we mostly come to enjoy the room and the view is the top priority for me.
-I wish we could have stayed on the higher floor that would really complete our joy.

From my experience if you come with the right attitude you will do your self and your health a lot of good and will only bring good memories back. This worked in every hotel in NYC we stayed at, except Soho Trump with the staff there Guaranteed to ruin not just your stay but entire vacation, and you will stay 5 categories below of the room you reserved in SohoTrum for the price double of what you pay in Setai.

Room Tip: I would not recommend to stay in the room above the terrace, my husband was awaken by the early morn...
5  Thank et49589
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for the glowing review provided to Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate all of the specifics noted in your comments including local sites worth visiting. We are so delighted to hear that you had such a memorable stay. We are always very grateful to receive positive feedback which we immediately share with our team.

We look forward to your return to The Setai Fifth Avenue and thank you again, for your gracious recap.

Anne-J Maurice
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service, lovely view and I'm going to have great memories as I got engaged at this hotel! From the moment we arrived the service was spot on, although sometimes over eager e.g trying to turn down at 6pm when we were getting ready to go out for dinner! Apart from that I really enjoyed my stay and the service and ambience and the helpfulness of the reception staff.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at the Setai with my partner for 4 nights last week and our stay was faultless. The service totally exceeded our expectations - every member of staff we met over the 4 days delivered great service. Whilst, in theory, this should always be the case in 5 star hotels I often find some inconsistency between members of staff (some much better than others) in most hotels, including other 5 star properties. This was not the case at the Setai - clearly they have been trained exceptionally well and enjoy working there. We loved the little treats (cookies etc) in the evening - such a nice touch.

We had dinner in their restaurant Ai Fiori - it was so good i almost wanted to go back again the next night. Thankfully i was convinced that we should have some variety and we went to Buddakan (fabulous!!). Room service was also great (my partner says it was the best swiss bircher museli he has had - and he lives in Switzerland..).

We both used the spa - it was ok. Treatments were nothing spectacular but again the service was great and the facilities are good too. I also used the gym - really big in comparison with the gyms in other hotels (modern equipment and lots of it).

Location wise it's really good - although I did have to adjust to not being so close to central park which is where we normally stay in NY. If you want to go shopping in NY (5th / Madison etc) my credit card can testify that the Setai is to hard to beat.

Overall an outstanding hotel.

2  Thank Jules_London1
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel is nothing short of incredible. Amongst a lot of snobby hotels surrounded by tourist traffic, this hotel is the best location for people who enjoy luxury without the hubbub. An overly friendly staff, and an emphasis on service will make your stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Patbeau
AnneMauriceDOS, Director of Sales at Langham Place, New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful feedback regading your recent stay at The Setai Fifth Avenue! We greatly appreciate your comments and the time taken to share them on Trip Advisor.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist in any way at 212-613-8733 or at anne.maurice@setaififthavenue.com

Many thanks again.