“An absolute Gem in the heart of the City!”

The Langham New York Fifth Avenue
Ranked #21 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Setai Fifth Avenue. I have traveled around the world, including NYC numerous times, and the Setai is simply the best hotel I've stayed at in NYC. From the moment we walked through the front doors, we were treated to consistent, warm, exemplary service. We had been staying at another hotel for a few days before checking into the Setai for our last evening in the city. We arrived at 9:30 a.m. hoping to drop off our bags and we were pleasantly surprised to learn that there was a room available for us. In addition, we were upgraded from a Premier suite to the next level of accommodation. Our room was simply stunning!! The modern design and elegant touches were fantastic. The soaker tub was luxurious and the bed was incredibly comfortable. We had a wonderful view over 5th avenue and could barely hear the traffic from the 15th floor. All goods in the mini-bar were complimentary, and the coffee and tea service were much appreciated. When we ordered room service, our bottle of wine arrived promptly, along with a small complimentary snack. Sadly, we were not able to access use of the hotel's Maserati drop off service within the city, but we were not fussed about this at all since the hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of numerous attractions and subway stations.
After a day of sightseeing, my husband and I enjoyed wonderful cocktails and a delicious selection of oysters while listening to the live jazz in the Lobby Bar. Upon returning to our room after an evening out, we were delighted to see the attention to detail for the turn down service. Our slippers were laid out beside the bed, along with a light evening snack.

Overall, I would recommend the Setai if you are looking for a modern hotel with impeccable service, the Setai is for you!

2  Thank Trvlgrl7772
Write a ReviewReviews (2,395)

Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at “The Setai” for only one night, post cruise from NYC. We wish that we could have extended our stay by a few more days at the very least. From the moment we pulled up to the front of the hotel, the service was outstanding. We arrived early, not expecting our room to be ready, but instead we were delighted, that it was and we were offered an upgrade to a suite.
Once escorted to our room, we were very impressed. The room was very large, modern but elegant. The bathroom was fabulous. We did not have a chance to eat at the restaurant Ai Fiori, but we heard great things about it and we will definitely try it the next time we are in New York City. Thanks again to the wonderful staff at “The Setai” for making our short stay at your hotel one of our best! We will return upon our next visit and we are recommending the hotel to our friends and family.

1  Thank Attifar
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Let me start by stating that I have never written a review about anything before. However, I have regularly read the reviews of others. Based on my recent experience at the Setai I felt I must throw in my two bits this time.

I travel a fair amount and have stayed at a variety of hotels - boutique and major brands. Not one has exceeded the experience that I just had at the Setai Fifth Avenue.

Their exceptional service started before I even arrived when our 'personal assistant' connected with me to see how our stay could be made more special. Jennifer Hughes (one of the Setai's personal assistants) is nothing short of phenomenal. Not only did she get us reservations at one of the city's top restaurants (Jean Georges) when nobody else could, she followed up and made all of our other reservations too. When we arrived she personally greeted us when we arrived and even came up to our room to see if we were all settled in or any of our clothes needed pressing after being in our bags. When we said yes, she took the wrinkled garments (along with my wife's boots that needed a polishing) personally to be taken care of.

We arrived early (9ish) but even then we were given our room right away. We also knew we had a late flight out, but Jennifer saw to it that we could checkout at a time to suit our schedule - not the hotel's.

As for our room, it was simply outstanding. Aside from it being enormous (this is New York after all and almost 800 sq ft for a room is massive), we had a wonderful view of Fifth avenue. The decor is very modern, but warm at the same time. Our huge bathroom with one of the largest soaker tubs I've ever seen was only matched by an equally large walk-in closet.

As for snacks and beverages, well nothing is spared. All soft drinks, sparkling water and espresso (a machine right in the room!) are complimentary. Twice-daily maid service with late-day turn-down service rounds out the top-notch experience. And don't even get me started on the spa - my wife and I had a couples massage that was hands down one of the best we ever had - 90 minutes of heaven! The spa at the Setai is stellar.

But while all these 'little' things are nice - truthfully its a long list of 'nice little' things - the real difference is the warm and personable service from the staff. Jennifer was marvelous, but in fact everyone who we met that works at the Setai are warm and friendly. In a city like New York where sometimes people get a bad rap for being rough or abrasive - the Setai reminds you just how great the city and New Yorkers are and what a pleasure it is to visit.

I suppose the only one thing I can say is that to some degree you get what you pay for. The Setai is far from cheap. However when you look at what the Plaza, St. Regis or the Mandarin Oriental, as examples cost, the Setai is a bargain and a much better experience.

So while its certainly not inexpensive the Setai is an experience that is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. If you can swing it - try the Setai you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Derek S
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed at the Setai Fifth Avenue for two nights and my only regret was that it wasn't longer.

I arrived at noon, and my room wasn't ready yet. Even though it was well before check-in time, the front desk offered me a drink at the bar while they finished preparing my room. I was very impressed; I'd planned on simply checking my luggage with the bellman before heading out to lunch. So I decided to eat lunch there at the Bar on Fifth, and it was quite good.

The room was much larger than I was accustomed to in New York City hotels. The bathroom truly was an urban oasis. I loved the oversized soaking tub! Another nice feature was the television set that was integrated into the bathroom mirror.

The minibar is stocked with free water and soda. With the nightly turndown service you get cookies, and in the morning when they clean your room they leave you a New York pretzel with mustard. There were also delicious chocolate truffles in my room when I arrived. Clearly, they know that providing treats like this is the best way to my heart.

The location on 5th and 37th is convenient. You're within easy walking distance of great shopping on Fifth Avenue and Rockefeller Center.

I can't say enough about this hotel. Between the comfortable beds, the clean and modern decor and the impeccable service; you can't go wrong in choosing the Setai. It's already my new favorite hotel in New York City.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Everything about the room was nearly perfect, bed very comfortable (being English I could have done with tea in the room but it is not in our nature to ask for things!). Room looked over 5th Avenue but was still very quiet. Service was discreet and exemplary. Food in the bar was very good. Everybody told us that hotel rooms in NY are small, well this is the exception, spacious and restful is how we would describe it.

Room Tip: Room 904 was good, didn't see any others