“Great rooms but poor front desk service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue

Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue
Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Great rooms but poor front desk service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

Great location, luxurious rooms....
But the front desk director veeeerrryyyyy impolite, unprofessionnal and rude.
With the amount of 5 star hotels in New York, i've seen much better. I will not stay there again.
They tried to charge restaurent fees when we NEVER ate at the restaurent and after all this mess up, they say they cant find the receipt.....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank may0u
GRichter, General Manager at Langham Place, New York, Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
May I take this opportunity to apologize for the unfortunate incident that occurred during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I understand your frustration and agree that billing errors are unacceptable. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to show you the true level of service The Setai Fifth Avenue is capable of.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

Everything was top notch about this hotel...exceeded my expectations. The bar in the hotel is fantastic and the doormen and concierge were wonderful. The room is beautiful as well, I was really happy to see all the amenities in the room and the beautiful spa tub. The tv in the bathroom mirror was a nice touch as well as the fridge stocked with pop and water, courtesy of the hotel. I do wish the rooms had mini bars, stocked with some snackies and alcohol, but that was more of a nice to have.

I only hope in the next stay I'm able to use the spa as if it is as beautiful as the rest of the hotel I'll definitely be a happy camper. The location is great as it's midtown (37th is what I consider midtown) and very close to all my meetings in the area. I will definitely be going back when I'm there for fun or business again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the Setai Fifth Avenue and it was one of the most pleasurable stays at a hotel that we have ever had. No, really, it was! We went to Manhattan to celebrate her 55th birthday and it was a trip that she'll never forget. The staff at the hotel treated us like royalty - we were truly spoiled. There are several staff members called Personal Assistants that catered to our every whim. Upon our arrival, we went up to our room and found a lovely bottle of Taittinger champagne and a beautiful birthday cake with a personal note welcoming us to the hotel. That was just the beginning. It seemed like every day that we were in the city, our Personal Assistants were providing that little extra to make our stay so memorable. Not only was this place fantastic, the way we booked it was even more amazing. We booked the place through a group called Jet Luxury Resorts. What a find! I even spoke with their President and COO to check them out. How often do you get an opportunity like that? Richard Brosal was kind enough to take time out to ally any concerns that we might have regaring booking the hotel indirectly through them. I couldn't recommend Jet Luxury more highly than saying we'll definitely use them again. So, in summary, pamper yourself and make your next trip to the Big Apple a wonderful experience by staying at Setai Fifth Avenue via Jet Luxury Travel.

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

What can I say more... This's the worst hotel I ve stayed in:
1: operator forgot to give me my wake up calls ( just imagine if I ve to catch a flight)
2: concierge gave me the wrong address to a restaurant ( took me ages to find it coz the taxi don't even know where...)
3: bad house keeping... Never seem to refill the stuffs if u don't remind them with a note.
Too much to complain........ Totally not worth a visit!!!!!!!!!!

10 Thank Queen2011_11
May I take this opportunity to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay at The Setai Fifth Avenue. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I truly value your feedback, and hope you will give us another chance to show you the true level of service our hotel is capable of. Do not hesitate to call me directly to discuss at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely
West Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

Pre-Arrival:
We booked the Hotel via Jet Luxury Resort, who probably had the best rate. Do check back 'cause after I made reservation, the rate went down. The telephone receptionist at the Agency was extremely friendly and helpful, and I was able to get an even lower rate.

Before arrival, the Personal Assistant, Kimberly, sent me a e-mail and called me. She sounded extremely friendly and helpful. Knowing we'd be arriving around 6 a.m., she said she'd try to arrange early check-in for us, and had really raised my expectation of the Hotel.

On-Arrival:
I had to say I was shocked. There was no door-man nor Conciege at the door. This was the very first time we had to carry our own luggages into a five-star hotel! There was only one man at the Front-reception. He did not greet us, and could not retrieve our reservation info. Luckily, I always had the habit to carry a print-out. And of course, our room was NOT ready for check-in, and he, of course, had no clue when our room'd be available. The only thing he could do was to store our luggages.

While we were sitting in the lobby planning our day, Kimberly arrived. She was apologetic but insisted early check-in was not guaranteed. She did try to help and offered us breakfast, which we declined.

Our Stay:
The good thing is, upon our arrival in the evening, our room was indeed ready, and our luggages were already delivered to our room. Most things were perfect - there were welcome fruit, chocolate, cookies, water, and slippers. Things I didn't like : (1) the hand-held shower. The design of the tub and the hand-held shower was extremely poor, and water was inevitably splashed everywhere, drowning the bathroom floor and my slippers were soaked. (2) there was only 1 face towel. (3) coffee-machine area had no lighting, and no instructions on how to use the Nespresso machine. I had to search on the internet. (4) bed was slightly too soft for my liking. (5) Housekeeping quality varied - a few items were not replenished the 1st day, like bath salt, slippers, etc. Everything were replaced the 2nd day. (6) Location of the Hotel was not really that close to the major shopping area on the Fifth Avenue, nor Time Square. Personally, I'd rather stay closer to either one location, and took the sub or taxi to other places. After watching the show, I found it a little bit far away and too quiet to walk back to the Hotel.

I could see the Hotel tried very hard to be a five-star Hotel. However, it acted more like a four-star Hotel to me. I couldn't find myself a reason to stay in this Hotel again.

3 Thank Lraep
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

Could not say enough good things about my stay. The rooms were quiet, comfortable and very clean. The bed was very comfortable, linens were soft and top quality.
The service was beyond my expectations. The personal assistants were very helpful and informative. Use of the Maserati was an incredible touch on top of everything else.

I would strongly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jbbmke
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

I spent 3 weeks researching hotels for our visit to New York. My husband and I stayed at the Setai Fifth Avenue for 3 nights for a conference. We have never stayed in a five star hotel before because we could not afford it, but we found a really great deal online and decided to go for it. I was contacted a few days before our arrival by Kimberly, a personal assistant. We kept playing phone tag, but what was important for us was being able to check in early. She was able to have our room ready for us by noon.

The first thing that caught our attention was the doorman and front desk service. We were winded from walking from the subway and check in was speedy. They were very friendly and professional. Duane, one of the doormen walked us to our room and showed us how to open the curtains (automated) and the TV in the bathroom.

The room was very clean and comfortable. The first thing out of my husband's mouth (who never really comments on the rooms) was, "the bathroom is huge!" There were orchids in the room along with gourmet chocolates. Our room was on the 10th floor overlooking 36th street. There was a nice view of the Empire State building.

The Room: It was simple. There wasn't any gaudy artwork adorning the walls. The linens on the bed were crisp and soft (if you can imagine those two adjectives in the same sentence!) We were in a standard room. It wasn't large, but enough room for two people (the bathroom took up a lot of space - but we appreciated the extra space in the bathroom). The bed was extremely comfortable. I would have liked the pillows to be a bit more firm, but there were enough pillows on the bed to make up for it. 36th street was quiet. We did hear an occasional truck or bus in the middle of the night, but the noise was nothing like it was when we last stayed on Times Square. We did not hear other guests except for the occasional door closing (and most of the time that ended before 11pm). We never heard any talking from other guests.

It's the little things: The soda and water in the mini fridge was complimentary. We didn't have to spend a fortune on room service or run out to get something to drink (and they provided Coke Zero!) The real flowers, chocolates and chocolate chip cookies at turn down will put a little smile on your face. The morning paper was hanging on our door in the morning. Although we did not take advantage of it, the shoe shine service was complimentary as well.

The Bathroom: I loved the towels. I will be buying them online! Robes were available as well. There was a huge tub and rain shower. I prefer a shower with more pressure, but there was a handheld that helped. We really enjoyed the TV in the mirror!

The Housekeeping: This team knows what they are doing. Our room was exceptionally clean each day we returned. There was always enough soap and toilet paper and tissues replaced (unfortunately we were under the weather and went through a TON of tissues).

It's the little things: Turn down service consisted of towels on the floor by the bed with slippers, chocolate chip cookies, and sparkling water and glasses on the night stand. They also give you a little card that tells you what the weather is going to be like the next day. We came back to our room one day and the maid had folded all of my husband's clothes!

I had heard that there was flexible check out, but when I asked what time check out was, they told me 11am. The young man at the front desk must have noticed the wrinkle in my forehead because he said that he could probably move it to noon. I figured they promised the room to the next guest early so we needed to move out so they could clean. We were not flying out of NYC until 4:30pm and they let us store our bags there at no additional cost.

I only gave the room a 4 rating because on our last morning, there was no hot water. Midway into my shower, the luke warm water turned cold. The front desk said that it would be restored in 15 minutes. She gave my husband the option of showering in the SPA. Since we had to check out a little earlier than expected, he went down to the SPA.

It's the little things: With the exception of our own hotel room door, we never opened a single door. The doormen are quick and always ready to help with bags and hailing a cab.

I'm sure the nightly rate at the Setai are not going to get any lower. They are exceptional. If I can afford it the next time I am in NYC - it will be on the top of my list.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business