“A unique experience....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Robataya NY

Robataya NY
Reserve with OpenTable
Robataya NY is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,390 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: East Village
New York City, New York
“A unique experience....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I went here last night for dinner with a friend….I’ve heard of this place before and have always wanted to try it and happy I did. The décor of the place was beautiful and felt very serene inside. In the front of the restaurant, there is a huge “U” shape like sushi bar style seating which is where we should have sat but decided to go to the back for a more quiet atmosphere.

When I looked at the menu, I didn’t know what to expect but with the help of our waitress we took some of her recommendations along with what other reviewers had mentioned. A must try at this place even though you may not like it is the grilled sea urchin – it was absolutely delicious! I was never a big fan of sea urchin but this definitely made me sway the other way. We also ordered another appetizer which was a potato taro wrapped in nori seaweed – it was ok.

For our main, my friend and I shared the croaker fish (all their fishes come from Japan) which came whole (head, bones and all….) that was grilled with a light coating of salt on the skin. We both enjoyed it very much….the other dish we had was the Kamameshi which is what they are known for – it’s a steamed rice dish with toppings of your choice. We had one with mushrooms and another with oysters – it was presented in this very neat bowl with a wood topper. As long as the top was closed, it kept the rice warm.

Overall, it was a very nice experience and food was simple yet tasty.

• Visited April 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Fun experience with interesting cooking style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our second time here. First was lunch, where I had the Uni Ikura Don, which was great and memorable. They only offer robata at night and we could not wait to go back, We went early and the atmosphere was quiet and reserved. The other reviews about ambiance and interesting cooking style are correct. Service was top-notch. It can get expensive, but it was worth it for a special experience.

• Visited April 2013
Memphis
“Counter Culture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Sitting at the counter adds to this enjoyable meal. It's like being at a street market. Ask for it and it gets cooked right before your eyes. We had good food and a good time. The nice big bottles of beer topped off a nice experience. It was a bit more expensive than we expected, but we'd go back.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank MissMem
“If you go, sit at the counter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time sitting at a table.
The food was the same...but I found it no better than any other reputable Japanese restaurant.
You miss out a lot when you don't see the open kitchen full of ingredients spread out in front of you
For the food, I wouldn't go out of my way to come back, but if you are entertaining, this is worth its admission

San Francisco, California
“Great Japanese cuisine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Good service; wonderful food. Share the sushi for the table. Try to sit at the bar for the show, but it's usually crowded.

Visited October 2012