“Great food, great service”
Review of Cafe Katja

Cafe Katja
Ranked #1,794 of 14,208 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My companion and I arrived at this restaurant with moderate hangovers. We were greeted by an extremely nice member of staff, who provided relaxed, friendly (but very efficient) service. The food was delicious, particularly the spätzle: the best you'll find this side of Salzburg. We passed on dessert as we were so full from the main courses, but were then treated to a complimentary shot of cinnamon schnapps, which rounded off our enjoyable experience. Many thanks to our server; unfortunately we didn't get her name. And well done to the chef: the food really was delicious, and beautifully presented.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

If Proust wrote about sausages instead of madeleines, Cafe Katja would be the literary setting for its remembrance. Orchard Street looks a lot like the hip Marais district in Paris these days especially looking through the glass windows of this divine little restaurant. In fact the world seems better while sipping one of their refreshingly light tasting cocktails that perfectly lifts the meat-hearty menu. What a rainy day early feast we had--the sausages are sublimely light and herbally-blessed. I have had my guilty share of foie gras while living in Paris but Cafe Katja's liverwurst appetizer with red onion compote is a New Yorkers' dreamy alternative. You just must have the pretzel with it. Don't even question this point--slab the liverwurst on this warm, salty bread and you'll understand. The staff are dazzingly sweet. And the Underberg digestif at the end of the meal is invaluable. Not at all fancy, not fussy, Cafe Katja is welcoming-ly well done.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wow, this is a small little place but the food and service was impeccable!! Everything was fresh, presentation was superb!! Will definitely go back. This was a great little gem nestled in all the Italian and Chinese restaurants on the lower east side! Meat dishes were tender and cooked to perfection. Spaetzle was delicious, liverwerst was homemade. Goulash was excellent. Go early though if you want a table!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Near the Tenement Museum Noisy & popular at night. Tasty wintry salads and heavy main courses. Attractive brick walls. Enormous beers appeared to be at every table.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Living so close and working in NYC, we go out to eat quite often. We like to go to different restaurants since there is never lack of new and different here, yet we find ourselves deciding to go back to Cafe Katja over and over. My review might be a little biased... growing up in a German household I do favor these foods from my childhood. That said though, the fact that I did grow up eating these foods and find Cafe Katja to be the best I've had in these parts does count for something. I think they are an Austrian restaurant, but I see it as German all the way, and unless you know some very specific differences of German vs. Austrian you'll probably call it German too.

It's cozy and can get crowded, but the crowd is eclectic and had good energy. Go early if you want a table for dinner-We enjoy sitting at the bar and talking to the bartender. The waitstaff and bartender each time we've been there is friendly and we've hear them speaking German... even better! And yes we do eavesdrop and they haven't said anything bad about patrons! LOL

German Beer and wine selection is very good. Check out their on-tap beers. They do have the basics like pretzels, but real specialties like their homemade liverwurst, wursts,and goulash are not to be missed. The spaetzle is authentic and tastes just like Meine Oma's!

Bottom line- Friendly, nice atmosphere, great authentic food that won't drain your wallet. Not to be missed.