“Cheap and good dim sum”
Review of 27 Sunshine

27 Sunshine
Ranked #7,233 of 14,285 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Dim sum here are rather cheap! Taste-wise it is pretty similar to the ones i ate in Hong Kong. I tried siew mai, har gow, char siew su, beancurd, century egg porridge, egg tarts, durian pastry puff in my two visits. And each time, i only paid US$8 for 4 plates plus a pot of tea! Excluding tips though.

Atmosphere and set-up is also the same in Hong Kong, where you have to share table with strangers unless you are able to fill up the entire table. Some customers may not be used to this culture but it really makes you feel like you are in Hong Kong as they will try to speak to you in Cantonese. You can try to converse in English or just point at the dishes you want and I think the pushcart aunties inside are quite friendly if you smile and talk nicely!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Was looking for a place for a light lunch and Dim Sum is perfect for that. Headed for a different restaurant that disappeared, so wound up at the 27 by accident. Arrived shortly after the noontime on a Friday - the place was hectically packed and getting the "maitre de" attention was not the easiest. As other reviewers have noted - it is family style seating. My party was a bit off the beaten track, so the dim sum carts often blew by - we had to get up to stop them. The food is fresh, it is good, selection is good (if you have the patience and the time to wait). Wait staff is neither friendly nor unfriendly - just extremely busy/rushed to get the food out to everyone and hustling it back to the kitchen when it has been out too long.

For 3 diners, 6 dishes - $21 with tip. I have spent much more for dim sum and for poorer quality at that.

Decor - nothing special.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

The food was excellent, but if you come here as a small group, expect to sit at a table with 4 or 5 other strangers while eating your dim sum. I'm pretty sure the family next to me was talking to me while I was eating and my gf (who is chinese) confirmed my suspicions afterwards.

While the dim sum was good and cheap (i think we only paid $13 and ate A LOT of food) I'm sure you can find another place nearby that has the same quality of food with less awkwardness.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

We are dim sum fanatics, so when in New York we head to Chinatown hoping to find great bargains for lunch. This time, we were armed with the NYT guide to the best dumplings. East Broadway was a long walk, all the way at the end of Canal, so by the time we got there we were hot and tired and looking for ANY dim sum place. And we found it. FULL to the brim with Chinese families, indeed we were the only non-Asians on line for two places at a table. The dim sum trollies never stopped refueling and going all the way through the restaurant. By the end, we had consumed at least 20 plates of dumplings between us ($37). And the best Jasmine tea I have had, ever.

Reviewed October 6, 2010

During our 7 night stay in NYC we were looking for a Dim Sum place. Some locals recommended this place, because it serves the Dim Sum on carts...classic!

It's quite a big (and new) place. But it was packed! There are huge tables ... all seat about 8 people. That means you have to share the table (except you are a big group). So, we shared. Wasn't really happy. I do not like to watch strangers eat... and enjoy even less HEARING them eat. Well...

Like I said, the Dim Sum comes on carts. Several servers with carts are going around and around. Whenever you want something you stop and tell them what you'd like to have and they add it to your cheque. It's a pretty fun system actually. There's a cart with desserts too.

We had several different Dim Sum. Some with pork, some with shrimp. They didn't have any with chicken though. And sometimes the servers didn't even know what's inside. I would call it "Dim Sum - Suprise".
The food was really really average. Meat quality quite poor. We know what authentic Asian Food tastes like...and it doesn't taste like this. It wasn't all bad, just so average! Prices were fair and the service ok. It's fun to do it once. But that was enough for us.

Wanna know more about my trips? Click on my profile or visit:
route66traveler.jimdo.com