“Wonderful addition to the New York hotel portfolio”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #77 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Have stayed at the Andaz 5th three times now, twice on business traveling solo (including a stay on the second night they were open) and once with my family for a weekend in the City. I have to say I absolutely love this place and think it is the "go-to" hotel in New York in the "mid-range luxury" market (so comparing to places like the W's/Gramercy Parks etc in the $4-600 range). First of all the location is simply unbeatable, a couple of blocks from Grand Central, a block from beautiful Bryant Park and right next to the hub of 5th Avenue. It really can't be beat and give this house the edge over it's sister down on Wall Street.

The service is very good, I recall reading a NY Times review that described the place as having "teenage staff" and I can see why - it is a young crowd. I feel they work very hard to please and I appreciate that. Each stay I have had they have gotten slicker and more polished and the attitude is perfect so I am going to say I like the service here. The host concept is basically that when you arrive instead of going to check-in desk you sit down, have a glass of wine or whatever and take care of formalities as informally as possible. On my latest stay this worked very nicely and I really enjoyed it. First couple of stays just after they opened it was a bit all over the place but they seem to have resolved the issues.

The rooms are excellent, very large size and while quite stark it is all part of the modern styling that I think they are going for. Having spent countless nights in small dark and dingy rooms in other hotels at similar price points it's a breath of fresh air to have large bright rooms with tall ceilings and a real sense of space. The facilities are good with good quality LCD tvs and a very nice sound system, though it's quirky to use and once it just set itself off in the middle of the night which was not fun. Also the light switches are "quirky" at best (I'm going to bet they get replaced as I am sure people complain about them). The bathrooms are beautiful and again very spacious - though a bit more light would be nice when I'm shaving or my wife is putting on her makeup!

The restaurant is excellent. Ate there several times during our stay and really enjoyed. They use local and organic products which is nice and have a good variety of selection. They have "small" and "large" plates that worked nicely with the family as the kids could take small plates. It was interesting to eat there at the weekend when it was so quiet, then on the Monday lunch it was packed and we had to wait for a table. Oh and while we never got anything the cafe at the front looked really good - will try that next time I am here.

Anyway given the great combination of location and beautiful rooms this place gets the nod as my favorite New York hotel. Hopefully they can sort out some of the quirks but I think it deserves the 5 stars for setting the bar higher in a city where the W's et al have dropped it so low

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 22, 2010

Was bracing myself for another stay in the worn down and dank Grand Hyatt when I realized my Hyatt points would work at Andaz! Hooray!

Great hotel. Exceedingly comfortable and spacious rooms. Love the free beverage policy and the library selection in the lobby. Location is fabulous, too. Staff were pleasant.

The 2 negatives:
-The coffee shop breakfast was poor quality and expensive. The restaurant itself is inviting and always seemed to be people having coffee and snacks.
-As mentioned by others, the staff, while hip and friendly, are quick to answer about things they don't know about. Ask them to call the manager to get results.

Still, will never return to the Grand Hyatt and much prefer this Andaz to W Wall St. (although W staff seem to have more thorough training.).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I can't praise this hotel highly enough for their beautiful rooms and excellent service. It's a very unique experience. And the location is perfect.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I have stayed in many hotels in NYC and the Andaz is by far the very best of the bunch. All of the NYC hotels where I have stayed in the past had impressive, updated lobbies but then the rooms all ended up being rather dated. Not so at the Andaz 5th Avenue! The contemporary decor and amenities in the lobby extend throughout the hotel and into the guest rooms.

The lobby is small, but had a comfortable enough waiting area. We were greeted by very friendly and attentive staff and were offered complimentary beverages while we waited to be checked in (Voss water, even for my 9 yr old niece!)

We had a large twin room that was very spacious. The beds were comfortable and we were impressed by all of the room amenities, including the touch controls for the lights and blinds, wall-mounted 42" LCD tv (nice that it was wall-mounted so it didn't take up any extra surface area), free internet and complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks from the mini-bar. Although we didn't use them, the suites on the 2nd floor looked impressive, especially the kitchen prep area where you could watch the chefs preparing meals. The only negative that I would list is that the small glass "closet" in our room was really too small to be functional; it would have been nice to have a larger area in which to hang clothes or, at the very least, a few hooks to hang used towels on.

The location is perfect! We had a view of the NY Public Library from our room and were just a short walk from Bryant Park and Grand Central Station. Even when we checked out, we were offered small gifts -- nothing huge, but just another nice touch that made our stay at the Andaz very pleasant from start to finish!

This hotel will be my go-to hotel in NYC from now on.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I loved this hotel and will be back. Great atmosphere, friendly and professional staff, and surprisingly large room for such a boutique-style hotel. The free minibar was a nice touch, and I felt that the room had every amenity one could need, and theworkout facility was more than adequate.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LifeInTheFastLane
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Checked in 9.00pm Thursday arriving tired and jet lagged from London flight. Met with smiles, efficiency, politeness and courtesy from host Elaine. The courtesy glasses of quality wine were most welcome. Check in took no more than 10 minutes. Within 15 minutes of walking through the front door we were in our room

The room was clean, attractive and welcoming. The bathroom was the best I've ever eperienced AT ANY PRICE. I measure a hotel mainly by the quality of the shower and the comfort of the bed. The Andaz surpassed my expectations. The only downer was a loose shower head on the jet shower (fixed the next day). But overhead rain shower worked fine. The main criticism of the room is lack of storage space and drawers. The glass closet looks 'wow' but is virtually useless.

The touch swipe panels for the lights and room electronics worked well and were easy to understand. The 42-inch Philips LCD TV gave a great picture. Took seconds to log on to free room wi-fi.

The location is perfect for MidTown. Two minutes walk from Grand Central (and Pershing Square the best breakfast diner in the world) and across the road form one of New Yorks landarks the New York Public Library.

Pros: clean, intimate hotel with friendly and attentive staff (as long as you realise the smiles and bonhomie are all created at Hyatt-College). 'Floating' check-in and automatic on-line check out system worked well for us.

Cellar bar is quite chic but pricey and they blew it for us big time by serving a glass of wine in a tumbler rather than a wine glass.

If they concentrated as much on the practicalities (eg better room storage and printing the correct information in the room brochure - it's 91 for an outside line - NOT 9) ) as they do on the design ethos they'd have a first class hotel.

The entrance on E41st Street is discreet (just two unmarked black doors) but you only need to work out where it is once.

I've stayed at some New York 'fashion' hotels that were all go and no show (yes I'm talking to you Hudson Hotel and Soho Grand. And I've stayed at some that are faded, jaded facades of their former glory ..cough Le Parker Meridien .. cough).

I'd stay at the Andaz on 5th again without hesitation. It is not my go-to NY midtown hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrussWrodbrochen
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Stayed at the Andaz with my Mom over Thankgiving weekend - it was perfect for the two of us. We love the holiday market at Bryant Park and the energy of 5th Avenue - this was right in the heart of things.

The best thing about the hotel is the decor - the hotel is well-designed and will appeal to very picky travelers. The cafe and bar were great, and there was always a pleasant level of activity in the public areas. Onteh second floor is a suite of party rooms that look just fantastic.

Our room was large for NY standards, and the bathroom was fantastic. On check in we were actually offered a better rate for a similar room, making it very affordable.

The staff are all young and energetic, extremely friendly. They talked extensively with anyone wanting advice or reservations. I will say, howerver, that they may not have the savvy or connections of a more experienced concierge staff.

The only detracction was the overly complicated lighting system and TV - we, too had to call to the desk just to figure out how to watch TV. Reading lights were rather dim - we hear they are on thier way to being replaced.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family