2,721 results
All reviewsbryant parkthe ny public librarysplash suitenon alcoholic beveragescomplimentary mini barnorth towernew yorkhyatt pointsrain showerlight switchesroom servicediamond memberhuge bathroomtimes squaregrand central stationthe check in processmodern hotel
Reviewed November 14, 2010

The Andaz treated me like a VIP the moment I walked in the door. The room had a view of the New York Public library. The hotel and my room were clean and chic. The extra large king bed was extra comfortable. The roll away, I requested, was delivered as promised. All the (newest) non alcoholic drinks and snacks in the refrigerator were free. The welcome by the staff was outstanding. What a wonderful New York City experience.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Just 3 months open, brand new luxury Andaz hotel on 5th avenue was the perfect place to stay for a short city break. In the center of everything, all major sights within walking distance. The hotel is very design.. no reception desk. Hosts with netbooks welcoming you and checking you in. Great wine/cocktailbar in the basement where you can watch chefs preparing your tasty munchies. Try the cellar door cocktail ! Rooms are spacious, beds are great, the shower is luxurious! If I try hard I can only find one downer.. which is .. no drawers or closets! If you're travelling with lots of luggage you can only hang out a few items. But that is just a minor inconvenience ! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2010

For starters, I am a hyatt diamond member and default to a hyatt hotel whenever I travel. However, after 4 nights at a cost of $2800 to stay in a 'large loft' at the Andaz Fifth Avenue, I would not stay at an Andaz Hotel again.

Pros -- Great staff, great food -- in both restaurant and room service. The staff do what they can, but they cannot overcome poor design.

Cons -- Everything else. We arrived at 11pm -- I had called to say when I was arriving, and had checked in online. We could not find the entrance to the hotel on 41st, so we went around to the front and were redirected by a sign back to 41st. Unfortunately, we finally found it - but not because there was a doorman or anyone watching from the hotel entrance. I lived in new york for years and have stayed there frequently since then and have never stayed somewhere without a doorman - very odd for an 'exclusive' hotel. In any event, we arrived in the very dark, small, foyer to get our room keys. Though I had prepaid, given my credit card, etc. -- It still took 15 minutes to check in. Not to mention the fact that in that small space we had to witness the budding romance between a hotel guest and a visitor. It wasn't dark enough to miss that.

We had to be escorted up to our room -- up one elevator, through a maze of corridors to another elevator in another tower - then up to our room. It was underwhelming -- so dark that I literally could not see my clothes. There was a small hanging closet but it was too dark to see what was inside. There was also no place except the bedside table to put non-hanging clothes. Very awkward. The bathroom was too dark to put on makeup. I actually asked for a floor lamp but none were available. The desk chairs were uncured leather - large and uncomfortable in a 'beach chair' style. Obviously they are not finished with the design - I love modern but there was nothing on the walls nor a splash of color anywhere. In addition, there is glass everywhere - outside the room, around the minibar - that always looks dusty or scratched. It took forever to figure out the awkward tv system.

Everything is on a sliding 'turn on/off' system. Including the temperature control. One sensor slide is 'temp up', one 'temp down', but there is no measure of how much you have tuned the temp up or down.

Overall, I was very disappointed. I wanted the Andaz to be successful, and obviously from the reviews, it is appealing to someone, so that is great. Just not to me.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
12  Thank SFMom
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I really wanted to try staying at Andaz since it's Hyatt's new boutique brand, so I decided to book a large king room for our trip to nyc. Prior to our trip, we decided that we really wanted to have dinner at Jean Georges, but since it was only a week before our desired date, it was impossible to get a table there. I called the hotel and asked if they could book for us, and within an hour they called back and confirmed the table for friday night!

Arrival
Once you arrive at the hotel, there is no check-in desk but many "hosts" as they call them who help you check in, take you to your room, and explain the facilities of the hotel and the amenities of the room. They give you a name card with their phone number which you can call or text when you have questions.

Room
The room we had was a large king room, very big for new york standard, i have to say the bathroom was just gorgeous. Everything non-alcoholic in the mini bar is complimentary, even the VOSS sparkling water which quickly became my favorite during our stay there. I think I had the most VOSS water i've ever had in my life that weekend. The rainshower in the bathroom isn't the best I've had but is still quite comfortable. We loved the Geneva sound system in the room as well as the easy to operate lighting systems. The bed and pillows were super comfy and we were able to sleep very well in them.

Room Service and Additional Services
We ordered breakfast in bed, quite expensive but quality was good. Unfortunately, the hotel does not offer shoe shine service, but when we asked our housekeeper if we could get a few shirts steamed before dinner, they promptly did so without charge. Wireless internet is free and very fast and easily connected to your blackberry or iphone as well.

A Few Things to Improve
Telephone Etiquette- Guest services is friendly and picks up promptly, but they don't say bye!
Bathroom Lighting- The bathroom is dimly lit for those who need lighting for contacts or makeup
No shoe shine service

Overall, this hotel's service is very friendly and attentive; can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2010

As a business traveller I want: an easy to find hotel (you'd have thought the location on 5th Avenue would help - wrong), quick check-in, efficient not fawning service, a good desk and chair to work at, a good bed, and a good shower. On my stay, the Andaz had only the last two. I'm really not interested in mobile check-in if it takes 15 minutes and then the key doesn't work. I don't want to sit and chat and admire the lobby while things are worked out - I want to go to my room. I don't want a beautiful but hard to sit in leather director's chair to work in. And the much vaunted service was non-existent - reception phone not answered and my "host" not answering the number on his business card. Thanks, but for $500 I'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business