“Urban Chic”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbia
“Urban Chic”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Andaz is an extremely urban, chic, contemporary, minimalist type of hotel. Lots of black, glass and stone finishes throughout. Very little signage and easy to miss hotel if you don't know where you are going. The rooms are very spacious and quiet. The bathroom is large with two different shower head options plus a spout offering water to a foot bath. The water closet is lacking a door but has a partial wall. There is a small, glass closet for hanging clothes but not a single drawer for folded items. Mini bar includes complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and a few snack items. Wireless and daily newspaper are also inlcuded at no additional fee as is wine in their receiving room. All staff was helpful and it was rare for us to open a door. All food and beverages they serve are organic. Location is perfect. My biggest peeves were that I never felt there was enough lighting in the room and no place to put folded clothes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
colorado
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Andaz 5th Avenue has only a great location, but its real perfection is found in the staff. From the minute that Jeffrey check us in to Michael arranging our final afternoon in the city, the care and concern of the staff was outstanding. Steamy espresso in the morning, lovely complimentary wines at night, excellent room service, and wonderful rooms: the Andaz is the real thing.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, on
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Stayed here on Columbus day weekend and had a fabulous stay. The Hotel is very nicely designed and very clean, chic and inviting. Check in was very easy. We were on the 10th floor I beleive and had a King Bed room that was very large. The Bathrooms are fabulous and the beds are vey comfortable. Location across from the NY Public Library and beside Bryant Park was very convenient. There is free Wireless and wine in the evening and the staff will go out of their way to assist with anything. We enjoyed our stay and will be back for sure!

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 22, 2010

After reading reviews on this hotel, I booked a 4 night stay in October 2010. Upon arriving to the hotel, I was especially pleased with its location- a mere 3 blocks from Times Square. With a meeting on 3rd Ave, this hotel's location was the perfect compromise between business and pleasure.

Like many of the reviewers before me, I felt that the check-in process was a nice touch though a bit slow. I arrived to the hotel around 4pm and my XL King View Room was not ready so I did have a little wait (about 20 minutes) before I was able to get into my room. My "host" Jeff, grabbed my bags and escorted me to the room to show me how to use the key and how to work the wall panel next to the bed that controlled the Temperature, Lighting and Window Shades by touch. Before my "host" left, they provided me with a business card that I could use to call or text requests to the hotel staff if I have a need while I am out of the hotel. I thought this was a nice touch.

The hotel room itself was quite spacious by New York standards, though I did book an XL King View Room which was on the 8th floor and overlooked 5th Ave. The room itself was amazingly quiet at night with minimal street noise. The shower was fantastic though I would have preferred and rain shower head. The only drawbacks to the room was that the "desk chair" was a little odd (a wooden chair with a leather saddle seat) and uncomfortable and the "closet" was a simple glass enclosure with less than enough wardrobe space for a woman who had 4 days of business meetings with social activities in the evening.

The room also had the complimentary minibar (excluding alcoholic beverages) which included club soda, still water, sparkling water, green tea and soft drinks. Food items consisted of a "Dangerously Dark" chocolate bar, Long Island Potato Chips and a Chai Energy Bar. There was a also a laptop sized in room safe and a large television (almost overkill to me).

Service at the hotel was prompt and courteous. The staff really tried to make me feel welcome and appreciated. Even management was fantastic about addressing issues. For example, the hotel charged my stay twice to my credit card. When I spoke with the hotel about it, they immediately admitted their error and even went so far as to contact my credit card company to make sure the charge was immediately reversed and to make sure their error did not limit my card's available balance.

Kudos to Andaz 5th Ave for making my stay comfortable.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I am a business/pleasure traveler with frequent stays at Hyatt. However, this was my first stay at Andaz 5th Avenue as a Diamond member (status gets compl. breakfast, newspapers and sometimes modest room upgrades etc). In appearance, this hotel felt quite like Park Hyatt in Shanghai (same designer), but in service they couldn't be any more different.

Some pluses:
Pre-arrival arrangements with the GM. Generous upgrade to an XL room with a good view. Accommodation of allergies to down and dust. Helpful directions from airport to the property. Great impression before arrival.

Some minuses:
Host forgot newspapers, incomplete room service on one day and unacceptable delay on the next (had to skip breakfast and run to the airport because food arrived so late), delay in turnaround of press service (complimentary only because they were out of irons but took almost 2 hours to iron a few articles).

Some bigger minuses:
Staff repeatedly knocked on my door despite my request not to be disturbed. Poor handling of an incident that left my ipod nonfunctional. Confrontational, defensive and arrogant Assistant Manager who insisted everything was perfect in my room prior to my arrival when many things were amiss (wireless phone that didn't work, internet that didn't connect to my e-mail server, three clocks in the room which gave three different and inaccurate time, door that didn't close as it should etc).

Both Andaz and Park Shanghai are graded as category 6 properties (highest in the Hyatt system). In terms of service Andaz gets only 1/5 stars from me. And this one star goes to a staff who thankfully was very unlike others in this hotel. Courteous, professional and reliable service shouldn't be exceptional but standard in property of this grade. Andaz enjoys a great location, new and nice amenities and perhaps it could still work but only if you are ready to put up with unacceptably poor service. Very ironic that one should find her time, preferences and style (for a hotel that is fundamentally grounded on these values) to be disrespected.

10 Thank cheerfulflyer
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Had my first stay at the Andaz last week. To cut to the chase - I'll be returning to NYC this week and will stay at the Andaz again.

Overall I was very pleased with the hotel. The room (superior king) was average to a bit larger than NYC standards in this area. The high ceilings (maybe 12') give the room a much more spacious feel. Room decor is quite minimalist - which is my preference. When I'm traveling the last thing I need to a whole bunch of someones idea of art jammed in my face.

The personal check in process is unique - and quite slow and inefficient. I'm a business traveler - I'm not really looking for a nice sit down chat. I want my key and a pointer to the elevator as soon as possible. The guided tour of the room is also a little over the top. If there's something I can't figure out I'll give you a call.

Room service was very good. Food perfectly reasonable and delivered ahead of the promised time. In room wireless was reasonably fast.

The staff was quite responsive - if a little over-rehearsed. I'll settle for simple polite and efficient - we really don't need to be close friends.

I've stayed in over 15 hotels in the general Times Square area. If I could combine the exceptional low key service of the Michelangelo with the rooms of the Andaz I'd have the perfect place. As it is - I'll probably stick with the Andaz.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Never had a better overall stay. Was so much better than expected. A little expensive but so worth it. All of NYC hotels were nuts in price. Very central location right across the street from Bryant Park and so close to Grand Central and Subways to get anyway.
The bathrooms are amazing and we couldve died in the shower. Only thing better would be 2 or so more rainshower heads since the shower is so big. Great for 2! Beds and amenities were great. Oh and for being on 5th Ave it was amazingly quiet.
The whole place was a great experience. The staff was so cool and helpful
(Philena) made sure that the stay was on point. And the "gift" that you get on departure was such a nice send off.
The extra spaces such as the bar and the common areas were unexpectedly cool too.