“Perfect in every way”

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #82 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Another wonderful stay at the Andaz. First, the staff are most friendly, and most accommodating .
Our room was available early with an upgrade. Very clean and well supplied with everything needed. Love the huge shower with rainforest spray and foot soaking tub. The beverage refrig and snacks were great. Also, since it was our anniversary, the management surprised us with champagne and strawberries......how special.
The location could not be better......there is truly no other place to stay while in NYC.
Thank you Andaz!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear NCTravel0R,

Thanks for the compliments!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

The positives: good location, free soft drinks at minibar, friendly service. The negatives: this room was minimalistic in the extreme. Some might find it attractive in a way, but they don't have to spend time there. Terrible lighting - no way to put on makeup or anything else in the bathroom, and no mirror anywhere else in the room. The desk chair had no wheels, and the desk had no light except for something on the very high ceiling. Very complicated lighting control system. The "closet" held maybe 5 hangers. The bathroom had 3 doors, very confusing. The refrigerator/bar was in a glass cabinet which was awkward in the extreme. Awkward shower arrangement, and the footbath was a needless accessory. Elevators were slow. Cannot recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank karenhvb
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear karenhvb,

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time with us.
Please know that we are actually currently working on the upgrade of our guest room lighting features and desk chairs.

I hope you will give us another chance in the near future and maybe try out one of our spacious suites with extra closet space and more bathroom separation. I would be happy to assist in finding the best suitable room for you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at ratna.steden@andaz.com.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Andaz is a boutique hotel hidden in front of the New York Public Library.
The rooms are charming with a separate t.v. niche with complimentary chips and any non-alcoholic
drink.
The Andaz offers complimentary a.m. coffee and evening happy hour wine tasting.

If it was not New York City, you would not want to leave your room.

Thank you for a wonderful New York stay!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are great!
1  Thank highdesertNewMexico

Dear highdesertNewMexico,

Thank you for your review.

How nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Hoping to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I have said at several hotels during my stay in NYC. This was my first one and I was sad that I had to leave.
The hotel is in a great location, as a first timer to NYC you could walk just about anywhere from here and the subway is so close. Bryant Park and the library are directly opposite so during the warmer afternoons it's nice to sit under a tree and relax for a moment, it's a very pretty spot.
I had a fabulous stay at the Andaz. When I arrived I was upgraded to a larger apartment with a kitchenette which was great as I had room to stock up at the grand central food market (it's great by the way!). I liked my room for it's modern vibe and it was very clean. The staff were all very friendly and I found their room service food better than most hotels I've stayed in.
Room service did mistake my meal and it never came one night. After one call my meal was to me pronto and free of charge. Mistakes happen and the fact I didn't even have to complain or create a fuss to have my meal reimbursed shows that this hotel does take pride in their service and would of been disappointed that it happened.
As with all hotels in NYC you can't escape noise and construction- the fact is it's everywhere! If you don't like noise NYC might not be for you (or bring ear plugs)!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Kittyau

Dear Kittyau,

Greetings from NYC!

Thank you for staying with us. Good to know that you liked your upgraded room and enjoyed your time. Hope your travels bring you back to NYC soon so that we can welcome you back!

Cheers,

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I prepaid for a penthouse studio but when I checked in, I was told "due to inventory," penthouse studios were not available. How could this be? You took my money already, for a penthouse studio. It was late and I was tired so I didn't feel like arguing with the gal. She helpfully offered that the soft drink and snacks in the room are free of charge. Yet I was charged for soft drinks from the minibar when I checked out. I didn't notice it until I got a copy of the bill in my email. The hotel did remove the charges after I called. The hotel is otherwise newish, clean and conveniently located.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Frank d
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The room. Was a good size, view of public library , through very dirty windows. Room could have been cleaner, staff were very nice and the location was good, also room had very good beds and not a lot of noise, we had just finished a cruise so was not in New York to eat, but they sent us to a good thai resturant , called room service and to john pizza,I suppose for the price of hotels in New York it was probable a pretty good deal, also very nice wine from chili served in the evening.

2  Thank micheelg
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

My now husband and I went to NYC in February of last year. I spent days searching info about hotels to find the best one. I have high anxiety about staying at hotels because of the potential for a lack of cleanliness. We arrived and it was even better than the reviews! This is hands down the best hotel I've EVER stayed at and probably ever will. The rooms are modern, spacious, and very clean! My husband proposed to me on this trip, and the staff at Andaz helped make it as memorable as possible. When we arrived they offered us a free upgrade, and it had an amazing view. My husband had the concierge help him set up reservations for us to go to dinner and let him know he planned to propose right before the dinner. The concierge let the restaurant know and we were given amazing service and congratulatory dessert at the restaurant. When we arrived back to our room the following night there was champagne, strawberries, and a sweet note from the staff. Because of this hotel, we had the best trip we've probably ever taken.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kgidd14
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear kgidd14,

Thank you for your great review. Conratulations on your wedding!
We are very excited for you and feel honored that Andaz 5th Avenue was part of your very special trip last year.

Hoping to see you again very soon to celebrate your anniversary.

All the best,