“Welcome to the city that never sleeps”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #79 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 21, 2014

And neither will you, if you get a room facing construction site or a room with a connecting door. We arrived in NYC on a red-eye flight, and took the first available room around noon. Once in the room, we were a bit surprised that we could hear our neighbours talking through the connecting door quite well. Tried changing the rooms, but the hotel was full, so no options were available till much later in the day. In the meantime, the neighbours heard us calling the reception and stopped talking. There you go - two rooms of people with no privacy.
After spending the whole day out, we returned to the room too late to switch it and went to sleep around midnight. To be woken up before 6 am with the noise of constructions outside. Next night the drilling noise started around 11pm and was going on till 1am.
Granted, the hotel has no control of their surrounding streets. Yet, nothing can substitute lost time of rest, and at the going room rate you can't blame me for expecting good sleeping conditions.
We had to extend our stay by one more night and were allocated to a different side of the building, without noise. After a night of solid sleep, we actually could appreciate the place we were staying in a bit better. Nespresso coffee in the room, wide range of amenities as a part of Hyatt complimentary list, breakfast with the view of the library. Yet, this hit-and-miss situation discouraged me and my travel companion enough, so the rating is much worse than could have been.

Room Tip: I actually liked the layout of the standard bedroom more than the loft room. The loft room has separ...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear no_nonsense_12,
Thanks for your review and I'm sorry you were with us during a week that the city had street work outside the hotel. Unfortunately, we rarely get advance notice on such work. I'm glad to say that the work has been completed. I hope you consider staying back with us in the future-we can certainly plan in advance on placing you in the most quiet room with no connecting doors.
Very best,
Cornelia Samara

Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Rarely I come across NYC hotel that's worth the price tag. Too often I come across substandard hotel which only redeeming factor is its location. Andaz 5th Ave was anything but that. I stayed here for anniversary, and the hotel (every staff I met at the hotel, room, location, amenities, etc) all went above and beyond to make sure the experience was as pleasant as possible. Part of it is the standard Andaz quality that I come to appreciate (free snacks, wine at the lobby), but I want to emphasize that it's the intangible (the level of service that makes you feel like VIP all the time) that sets apart Andaz 5th Ave from other expensive 5 star NYC hotels.

I'm not going to lie that the hotel is "affordable". But let's face it. NYC hotels are expensive. If you are spending a lot of money for a hotel anyway, why not spend it at the place that makes you feel like it's worth it?

Room Tip: high level (Rm 802 was very nice)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris C
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Chris C,

Thank you for your great comments.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our 'VIP treatment' :)
Happy belated anniversary and hope to see you again at Andaz 5th Avenue soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 17, 2014

There is a reason why this is one of NY's top rated hotels. Actually there are many reasons. It was our second stay at the Andaz for myself & my 11 year old daughter. They really know how to look after you. The location is absolutely perfect. Close enough to walk to Time Square (2 blocks) if that is your bag, but far enough away to not be noisy. Close to subway & bus stops, which are so easy to use to get you downtown. We always hate leaving here, but leaving this time was sweetened by the new "parting gift". Another small but appreciated gesture. This is not the cheapest hotel to stay in. But trust me, it is worth every cent and once you have stayed here you will not want to stay anywhere else in the city. We will be back.

One tiny negative comment that I am reluctant to leave was that the windows in the bedroom needed a good clean!

Room Tip: Have stayed in 601 & 701. Both have the beautiful view of the library.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MICHELIN-STAR-CHICK

Dear Michelin-Star-Chick,

Thank you for selecting Andaz 5th Avenue again for your stay in the city!
We're honored to be your hotel of choice and happy to hear that you and your daughter had a good time.
Hoping to get to meet you next time you're back with us.

Until then all the best,

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We booked a two bedroom suite and a regular room. Both were great but the suite was fantastic. Def a bit pricey but very convenient with a family. We also had some guests over one evening and the staff was fantastic. Everyone from the doorman to the service staff; Just impeccable. Would recommend to anyone and everyone. And the location/view is incredible... If you're thinking about staying, go ahead and book it because you won't regret it.

Also other great things: breakfast options and the bar/lounge in the basement made the experience that much better.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank run4ace
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Location wise, this hotel is ideal. Facility wise, it's superb.

This hotel is located directly opposite the library, & close to a subway station. Grand Central Station is less than 5 mins walk away, & access to all tourist attractions is easy.

The hotel is sophisticated & chic, & seems set up for business guests. We stood out a little in our sight seeing gear, but hotel staff did not bat an eyelid. Hosts (as they are known here) are super helpful & knowledgeable, & complimentary drinks & snacks are most welcome.

The foot spa in the bathroom was put to good use every day, & the shower was extremely refreshing - rain shower plus another more directional head.

The super king bed was comfy & the room was spotless. It had a really high ceiling & large windows, but the bedside controls for the dark out blinds ensured a great sleep every night. The hotel is spotless throughout & we felt very well looked after. Our room was 807 - directly opposite the elevator, but we had no noise disruption from other guests, or from the bustling streets below.

If I'm back in New York, I'll definitely stay here again. I'd thoroughly recommend you should too!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank nrs35
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in September, the room was lovely and quiet which was probably a bit of a trade off because we didn't have the best view. The bathroom was completely spectacular though and the stone bowl to fill up and soak your feet at the end of a long day sightseeing was absolute bliss, the hotel kindly supplied some foot soak too :-). Complimentary mini bar and free wine in the lobby every evening was also a bonus and the staff were all uber helpful and friendly.

The location was great, literally a stones throw from Grand Central, so handy for the subway and with the Pershing Diner for breakfast. We had a cocktail in the hotel bar one evening too which was lovely, if a little gloomy being downstairs in the basement, really busy though so a good buzz.

The only thing I didn't get around to was visiting the city library which was directly across the road which was a shame but maybe just means I need to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Fluffypoppelt,

Thank you for your review.
We're delighted to be your hotel of choice when visiting the city!

I hope you get to see the Public Library on your next stay...it's really worth seeing.
Did you know that we have books from the Public Library available in our very own library lounge?! You can enjoy a read while having a complimentary coffee or tea in our lounge.

Looking forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The Andez on 5th Avenue is this fabulous hotel a stone's throw from the NYC Library. The entrance is off of 5th Avenue and only has a small sign out front. A set of unmarked grey doors is your passage way...inside you find a relaxed urban vibe that seems more like you've stepped into a Modern Art Gallery rather than your NYC home base.

The focal point in the low- lit small lobby is a square table with a few individuals who eagerly welcome you to the place were the 'cool people hang'. Their welcome instantly makes you feel apart of the 'in crowd'.

Your room is anything but the usual boring hotel room. The beds are comfortable the rooms are fun and the showers (once you figure out) are great. All snacks and beverages in the room are comped (besides alcohol). First time in NYC for me and I was a solo tourist - they put my mind at ease - gave me a coupon for a tour that met my needs, equipped me with directions and a water bottle for my journey. It was the perfect way for me to explore the Big Apple.

Loved 'the shop' for breakfast= again that relaxed urban friendly atmosphere where you can enjoy good coffee and great people watching.

At checkout you even get to pick a small departing gift- such a fun place. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask the 'Host' for recommendations of anything you need - they have great insider scoop and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank funinthesun223
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear funinthesun223,

Thanks for your great review!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay :)

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,