“nice hotel, but very business orientated”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #94 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
surrey
“nice hotel, but very business orientated”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

the room was large which is great for NY, we had two double beds which was strange, was expecting one large double as we're a couple. the bed was comfortable, slept well, did get some noise from outside. don't expect a view as you wont get one, floors too low for the hotel rooms-rest of hotel for business/apartments. room contemporary but too plain, shower room looked very classy. we got a good deal for the room months in advance on travel republic. agree with a previous comment that the room was too dark especially the bathroom. the shower door was a bad design, and a heated towel rail OUTSIDE the large shower cubicle would be better.
the location is nice but being wall street very business orientated with some meetings going on behind the service desk in the lobby. a female member of staff at the lobby desk was too busy looking at personal sites on the laptop to make eye contact when i had a query, i waited until she looked at me, made us feel if we were in 'suits' we'd have been treated more favorably.
the domestic staff were actually the most friendly and the room cleanliness was excellent. complimentary soft drinks and snacks was a nice touch, but no tea/coffee facility in the room.
would recommend the cocktails in the bar, a nice treat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SC
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is my second time staying here. Rooms are clean and showers fabulous. Wish bathrooms had more light. Staff fixed issue we had with stopped up toilet immediately. Free soft drinks and snacks in minibar and free coffee. Can easily walk to broadway shows. Great value for cost. Kid- friendly. We will recommend.

• Stayed March 2014
New Delhi
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My stay at Andaz was great. The room was really big for what I get in Manhattan at other hotels. The ceiling height also makes the room much more spacious. The overall interior of the room was also very well done. The Shop ( restaurant), In house dining ( 24hours) and the Bar in the cellar - my experience with all three was more than good. Overall loved the stay and am staying there again.

Room Tip: There is a good walk to the rooms in the Northern Tower. It's not a bad walk from one elevator t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank manjun
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Manjun,

Many thanks for the great review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you experienced all our food/beverage options! We look forward to hosting you again.
If you prefer to be in the main building, be sure to let the Reservationist know that when you reserve your next stay or send me a note so that we can update your profile information with your preferences.
Hope to say hello in person the next time you're visiting!
Best,
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband surprised me with a trip to NYC and when we pulled up outside the Andaz I thought it was a little unimpressive, the messy coffee shop on the corner and the huge, solid dark brown doors didn't inspire me at all but that was the last negative thought in my head. The lobby is a little trendy but the staff were very friendly. My husband had told them it was my birthday and we were given a complimentary upgrade to a 13th floor suite with a view of the Empire State, there was also a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The living area was very comfortable and the kitchenette was very handy. The complimentary mini bar (not incl alcohol) was a lovely touch - the little bars of chocolate were very welcome after a long day of sight seeing! The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom very spacious with two sinks and a huge shower. The only thing was that the shower was either scolding hot or cold and it took ages to get the temperature right, I would also have liked a bath after a long day in the city but that is just a small thing, The hotel is perfectly located, just opposite the public library and just a short walk to Times Sq, Grand Central, Empire State, Rockefeller and of course 5th avenue shops. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a view and if its a special occasion tell the hotel in advance they often upg...
Dear SaraFord31,

Thanks for the great review and I'm delighted to read that we helped make your birthday special.
The next time you visit, you may want to consider reserving one of our beautiful & spacious Splash Suites. Those suites have an amazing bathtub and oversee the NYPL.
Sorry to hear about the shower; that's definitely not normal. We have looked into this to ensure that it doesn't continue doing this in the suite that you were in.
Come back and see us soon!
Best,
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Andaz chain is one of the many trendy hotels that attempt to make the guest feel like they are "home" with their open concept lobby and front desk. But that is where the relaxed feeling stops. The rooms are trendy but way too dark to work in or do makeup. The workspace (desk) is child size height and extremely narrow. The bedding is not Hyatt style bedding and not very comfortable. I had reserved a "pure" room which has the big air purifiers that move a lot of air and keep hotel rooms from being so stuffy. My room lacked this machine and when I inquired I was told Hyatt no longer offers these rooms. Then I was told the machines where in the housekeeping yard to be cleaned. Then the desk person told me that he would move me to a suite the following morning and bring me a machine too. I packed all my stuff up for the move before I left and much to my dismay the front desk knew nothing of it and weren't particularly accommodating. For being the price of a 5* hotel I recommend you choose a more traditional venue for your stay, that is unless you like to be in the dark and uncomfortable with a good excuse not to work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveltoomuchforbiz
Dear Traveltoomuchforbiz,

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We should have done a much better job in communicating about the change in our Pure Rooms and our attempt to upgrade you to a suite as a gesture of compensation. We have indeed eliminated the Pure Rooms as we found that there was not much demand for them. Instead, we are offering the air purifiers on a complimentary basis per our guests' requests.
I'm interested to know more about your bedding comment as the mattress itself is actually the Hyatt Grand Bed which typically receives a lot of accolades. I'll contact you offline in hopes that you would share more information.
As for the lighting, please know that we are adding more advanced LED lighting this year to further improve our lighting in the guest rooms.
Once again, I appreciate your comments and I look forward to communicating with you more offline.
My very best,
Cornelia Samara
London
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous hotel, great and friendly staff. No complaints! We loved this place. Our room was huge. Loved the styling of the room and the bathroom. Amazing! Free soft drinks and snacks.

Try to get a high room. Views are amazing. Room service was good but quite expensive (as usual for this type of hotel). Staff could not be more helpful tho.

Would definitely recommend and would stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holjones
Tamaqua, PA
Reviewed March 10, 2014

First the good things about the hotel: Great location as it's close to many things but not Times Square insane with people and noise. The staff is very friendly and willing to do their best to accommodate your needs. Also there's free wine from 6pm till 9pm in the lobby, free wi-fi, and all the non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in your snack bar in the room are free.
The downsides include: $70/day valet parking (no in & out) and poor lighting in the bathroom for women to put on makeup.
The decor of the hotel is grey slate with little decorations anywhere. There's no front desk and the rooms have no dressers. The room is sparse.I guess it's for a younger hipster crowd, which I am not.

Green Features: Eco-friendly hotel in design, recycling, and other areas. They talk about it alot.
Dear PJGerace,

Thanks for the overall great review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the many complimentary aspects of our hotel.
I completely understand your thoughts about the outrageous valet parking rates; I was also pretty shocked when I moved to NYC. Please know that the rates are pretty standard (if not lower) than most hotel parking in the city.
I also agree about the lighting in the bathroom. We are in process of completing the installation of "lighted make up" mirrors in all the rooms. And, we will be installing a more advance LED lighting in all the guest rooms to improve the lighting this year.
Another exciting update is that we will be unveiling our new front door in the next couple of months! I'm personally very excited about this project.
We look forward to showcasing all these improvements during your next stay!
Very best,