“Can't say much to fault this hotel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #71 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Can't say much to fault this hotel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is an excellent hotel. Pricey, but excellent. A room could set you back 600 bucks but then it is NYC! I used to stay here on business prior to moving to NYC and always enjoyed it. Good celeb spotting place too with lots of photo shoots held there. I got a suite once and it was sweet, bigger than the majority of NYC apartments! I wish they had some more chocolate in the minibar but I won't hold that against it. It's super modern-chic with nice staff. My only issue is that there isn't a great lobby to relax in, just an uncomfortable bench area that always seems to be crowded. Call me old fashioned but I also like some form of check in or concierge desk but this hotel has chosen to have staff wander about with iPads. But, it seems to work. I like it.

Room Tip: Get upgraded! Honestly, ask for a room on a high floor if you are sensitive to street noise cause it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

My first stay in this hotel was in the depth of winter and the hotel was an oasis of warmth. Great staff, tremendous suite, super restaurant, nice lounge and a great bar topped it all off. Sure the location is excellent, yes the suite was very well appointed but really what makes this property stand out in NY is the staff. From the Manager to the front desk and onto the housekeepers, everyone is nice, engaged and very VERY helpful. This is my new go to property n NY. It just gets everything right.

Room Tip: a suite upgrade is worth the splurge
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Andaz5thAveMgr, Assistant Director of Rooms at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Kevinf8ca,

Thank you for your feeback! We're honored and delighted to be 'your perfect hotel in NY".
Hoping to see you again very soon.

Warm Regards,
Ratna Steden
Oxford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent our anniversary in NYC and stayed at the Hyatt Andaz 5th Ave. The hotel staff was fantastic - they upgraded us to a loft and remembered all of our personal details when we were coming / going. The staff also surprised us with a bottle of champagne and chocolates. Needless to say the staff made me look like a great boyfriend - add on the Hyatt diamond perks - Breakfast, wine happy hour in the library and late checkout and this was a weekend made by Hyatt to remember.

Quality of the rooms 10/19
Service 10/10

My only regret is not being able to experience the bar downstairs as it was closed during our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear justinhoff,

Thank you for staying with us on this very special occasion. Happy anniversary!
I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,
Ratna Steden
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

One week before my arrival I was contacted by the hotel asking for my time of arrival.

When I arrived around 6 PM my room was ready and check-in formalities took no time.

I was given a room on the top floor facing the New York Library - the view was amazing.

I have stayed at this property regularly in the past and the room had plenty of storage and the Andaz 5th Ave signature bathroom. When I build a house it will have a bathroom like this.

The hotel staff always greated me by name.

For breakfast I highly recommend the hot chocolate and strawberry orange juice.

The gym is equipped with all essential equipment and usually not busy.

During happy hour the hotel offers free wine and softdrink in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for Library view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a friend's wedding. I love the property and the location. It was our first stay at an Andaz property, so now I am hooked. I love the non traditional check-in and the friendly staff. I will definitely be back when I visit NYC next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the library
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Unfortunately I spent only one night in this hotel, my last one in the US before flying home. My first impression was not very good, though. There is no reception in the traditional sense, just a large table with laptops, served by the staff. I was asked to sit down and have a drink while I'll be checked-in. I was thinking please not another pretentious hotel that needs to reinvent the idea of hospitality. So I drank my cappuccino and waited and finally after approx. 15 minutes somebody came and accompanied me to the room. I have no idea what happened in those 15 minutes.

However, from there it went only upwards. My large loft was fabulous and LARGE. I loved the functional and minimalist design, the bathroom was a dream (and the folding bathroom door!), I enjoyed the footbath, the complimentary mini bar (very unusual), I loved the gadgets.

I liked the design of the hotel, the kitchen used for events, the Japanese style atrium, the wine racks in one of the meeting rooms (I could see all this from the hallway through the glass walls as I went to my room). I popped to the Shop restaurant at 10 p.m. for a quick dinner - the Roasted winter beets with kale & pistachios were to die for.

Overall, this is a grown up hotel that does not need any gimmicks to attract guests. The location is classic NY, close to the Grand Central (go to the Oyster Bar in the basement), to the Rockefeller Center, the Library is opposite the hotel. There is a good deli at the next corner.

I wish I stayed here longer. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nomad2212
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here for the weekend after Valentines day. The staff is very friendly, check us in right away, and we always find the staff helpful throughout the stay. The lobby is small, but have everything you need. I personally like the free phone charging drawer. You can lock it with your card, so you can leave your phone there, print your boarding pass, enjoy free drinks in lobby and read a couple books available on the bookshelf.

Location is just perfect. Close to everywhere, sitting next to the public library so it does not get noisy at night.

The room is above average. We stayed in the "standard " room, the bed is comfy and the room is reasonably sized. We absolutely love the complimentary mini bar. We also like their breakfast. It's not complimentary, but worth giving it a try.

I would say the shower area can be improved. The water does not stay at constant temperature so we need to keep adjusting. Also, the overhead shower head is leaking.

Would consider stay here again next time visit NYC.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Jeff L.,

Many thanks for the great review-in particular about our friendly and helpful staff!
Sorry to hear about the shower experience. We'll certainly looking into and fix the temperature inconsistency & leak. Would you mind sending me a note to cornelia.samara@andaz.com with the name on the reservation so we can find out which room you were in. Please also let me know the next time you're visiting so I can say hello and thank you in person!

Very Best,