“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights over Christmas and were very impressed. We have never stayed in a hotel where the staff in the lobby all did everything - check in, luggage, concierge etc. they made it feel so personal as you weren't passed from person to person. The rooms are spacious with large bathrooms and double basins and spotlessly clean. Our room did not have much of a view as we overlooked another section of the hotel and a very small courtyard but this meant we did not get any traffic noise. Both the restaurant on the ground floor and bar in the basement served very good food and again the staff were very efficient and friendly. Other nice features were free mini bar for non alcoholic beverages, potato chips and chocolate. On a morning free coffee and hot chocolate was available in the lobby and on an evening complimentary wine was offered, water was available all day long. Also another big plus was free Wi Fi.
Overall a great hotel with professional, friendly staff in a convenient location, we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: For peace & quiet request room overlooking courtyard, for a great view ask for a room facing the...
1 Thank Joanne C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We are staying at this hotel at the moment,leaving tomorrow.It is a great place to stay,location could not be better.The rooms are large with high ceilings make them seem bigger again.The hotel is modern and clean.What makes this hotel great is the staff,nothing is too much trouble for them and a special mention for Amber,who is superb and I would go as far to say that the best front of house person that I have come across.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank eddie6310
Cornelia S, General Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear eddie6310,

Happy New Year! Thank you for the great review and the special mention to Amber!
I'm sure she'll be delighted reading this.
We hope to see you during the year!

All the best,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The thing that first strikes you is the size of the rooms. We had prepared ourselves for a shoebox being NYC, but Andaz exceeded expectations with plenty of room, a couch and desk. The bathroom is also generously sized with double basins and large shower. While being a largish hotel, it has a boutique feel. The staff are brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble. We were very well looked after by Joe and Jenny. It's perfectly located across the road from the Library and near the major attractions like Times Square, Rockefeller and Bryant Park. The restaurant is very good quality, if a little slow. An extra touch is the complementary apple cider, coffee, tea and wine. One downside is there's no lobby or bar if you want to sit and read or meet someone. Overall, a terrific hotel if you want to be in heart of NYC midtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 41St. You may miss the Library view but they are much quieter.
1 Thank Brad B
Dear BradB777,

Many thanks for the terrific feedback! We have an amazing group of individuals that make up the Andaz 5th Avenue Family! I'm delighted to hear that specifically Joe & Jenny took such good care of you! I'm sorry you missed our Bar Downstairs. It's actually located in our Cellar level. We serve delicious hand-crafted cocktails. Let me know when you'll be back and I'l treat you for a drink!
Happy New Year!

Very Best,
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My mother and I stayed here with my two young daughters for our annual Christmas trip to NYC.
We loved it. Our view was magnificent -- huge windows looking out onto the NYC Public Library. The design of the room was beautiful and there was plenty of room for the four of us. Our room had two double beds, large bathroom and was the loft style. A nice bonus was that everything in the minibar (except alcohol) was complimentary! We enjoyed this after coming home from a full day walking through the city. The location was excellent as our trip consisted of Christmas-y activities: plays, the Rockettes, the Christmas tree, Macy's storefront, Science Museum, etc. Most notably, the staff was wonderful. They were so welcoming and charming and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and happy. I would highly recommend this hotel and am planning to go back later this month with my husband for a weekend in the city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebecca F
Dear Rebecca F,

Happy New Year! Thank you for the fantastic review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your time in NYC! Christmas is such a great time to be in the city.
We look forward to hosting you & your husband soon.

My very best,
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I traveled here recently to see NYC with my significant other all dressed up for the holidays. I hadn't been for some time, and she has never been - in my search for one of the best hotels in NYC we found ourselves at the Andaz 5th Ave. Located in pretty much the absolute best location in NYC for tourists, we first had a little difficulty finding the entrance as it was not on 5th as you'd imagine (that was reserved for the hotels restaurant) and very small/subtle. Once inside we found it very odd not to have a front desk and there was a little confusion on where the "line" was and who to help next check-in. We did get checked in though in a timely manner and was able to get into our room quite early. The rooms were magnificent, nice and big, very modern and simple.

The next day I stopped by the "front desk" and asked a host for something to be delivered to the room - she said she would be right on it. I came back to my room 4 hours later, still wasn't delivered. Apparently she was not on top of it. Had to ask another host who apologized profusely and gave it to me right away and said he would send additional up right away as well. All in all we did have an enjoyable two night stay due to the location and room, despite the inconsistent service, but would never stay again due to value. I'm sorry but the going rate when I was there was $750/night and it's definitely not worth that premium. If I was amazed in all aspects then maybe, but I'd definitely consider this an "Average" property considering the price.

P.S. Almost forgot, I was completely shocked by the lack of closet in the room. There was a small rack which housed two robes and three additional hangers, but that's it. Sure I could have asked at "front desk" for more (although who knows if I would have gotten them first time asking) but the rack was so small there's no way you'd be able to fit anything additional in there. I understand it's NYC and space is at a premium, but since the room is huge anyway there is no excuse for not having a proper closet.

2 Thank John B
CT
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

You could easily miss this hotel cruising by. Tucked around corner with no flags fluttering and a very understated marquis, the 2 story solid entry doors seem like they should be attached to a private club or secret society. What a great location, 1 block south from Grand Central! No need for cabs-Broadway, library, shopping all steps away. We were impressed by the 14 (guessing) foot ceilings made higher by low furniture. Spa bathroom with marble and slate shower stall big enough for 4 (hmmm). Efficient staff, delivered service with a desire to meet
expectations. Guests were mostly in NY for pleasure, many from Europe during our stay after Christmas. The restaurant has an inventive menu and service was thoughtful: apologies for not having the bourbon requested for mixed drink and inquiring if substitute would be acceptable, staging dinner of small plates and entree so we could dine in synch, respecting our time limitation to make a show and delivering check just as I was about to request it. Breakfast was busy, even at 10 am, requiring a short wait, but the pastries and skillet dishes made the wait worth it. Baristas bring your coffee prepared to order. Ice tea was brewed hot, with sprigs of fresh spearmint to pour over ice. Judging from just one stay, the pleasant surprise ratio and great location makes us want to return despite moderately expensive NYC prices.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2Dine4
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Quaint, chic, trendy, class, excellent service, so perfectly located, Andaz Fith Avenue welcomes their clients as special individuals and strives at making our stay a unique experience. The very young, well-trained and professional staff is a real asset. They are all so quick at being so helpful. For instance Jo brought us a bottle of Champagne to our room for my partner's birthday and Bianca found us great tickets for the Roquettes Show. Our room was very comfortable and the shower huge and multifunctional. Even the digital TV was nice to watch. Overall, we enjoyed getting the royal treatment and can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013