“Fabulous Birthday Treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have never been to NYC before or the USA. So I thought it would be the ideal place to take my wife for 5 days to celebrate her 50th birthday! Our British Airways London to New York flights was excellent both ways.

So very pleased that we picked the Andaz hotel, very sleek and slick indeed! I emailed the hotel in July to ask a couple of questions & mentioned that we were coming over for my wife's big day!

On check in, my wife was greeted with a "Happy Birthday" and we were informed that we had been upgraded to a better room. Very impressed!

The room on the 9th floor was amazing, large and light. The view of the NY public library and other skyscrapers set the mood for what this city is all about!

We had a slight problem with a wobbly loo seat and leaking sink, we reported it and the issue was sorted immediately. On returning to our room from our first evening out on Broadway, we were greeted with a bottle of wine, chocolates and fruit, such a nice touch!

Everything in the hotel was perfect! Lovely quiet room, with good sound system and TV, plenty of cold drinks, lovely big comfy bed. The bathroom was great, very clean and modern!

We thoroughly enjoyed the complementary wine every evening and coffee each morning before hitting the town!

We fell in love with New York, everyone we met without exception made us feel very welcome. We also felt particularly safe walking the streets absorbing the unique atmosphere NYC offers. If you are up for it, the walk to and from Battery Park is tiring but well worth it, take your camera. We did a lot of walking and the foot-bath came in very useful at the end of each day!

Trips: Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock, and of course we duly paid our respects at the 9/11 memorial... All very very good!

We found a great Burger Bar on 9th avenue called 5 Napkin, and enjoyed a fantastic steak at Del Friscos which was out of this world but take your chequebook! Very expensive!

Would like to say a big thank you to all the staff at the Andaz for making our stay so pleasant & memorable. Particular thanks to Elaine Spezio, Joe and Israel.

We will definitely be returning to NYC and the Andaz! Thanks...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy C
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Andy C,
Great to hear that Elaine, Joe, and Israel were able to help make your wife's birthday and first trip to New York amazing!!! Thank you for staying with us!

Warm regards,
Connie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had just flown from Paris and I only needed to stay for 1 night. The front desk staff was AMAZING. There were some mixed answers if I could leave my bags at the hotel for a couple of days after my departure and getting it picked up later. However, one girl (she is from Germany) went above and beyond to help me. I mean this is QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE.

The room was great and I was upgraded to a suite. The view was amazing and if I had needed something then the staff would help me out IMMEDIATELY. It was awesome. They also gave me a late checkout as requested.

The hotel is right by 5th Avenue...GREAT LOCATION!

The only reason I am giving them 3 stars instead of 5 stars is the people who greets the guests--the people at the door. One was a bald guy and another one was a girl. Everytime I walk towards the door to go in, I will always see them chatting and talking. I passed that door like 10 times because I kept going back and forth to run errands, They never said a "hello." They see me walking to get in but they just ignore me and kept on chatting. They don't open the door...just talk all day. When they see someone getting out of a cab, then the guy would help them. So, I guess you gotta look important or look like you have money to tip them.

I was mailing packages and kept going back and forth to the post office. They didn't once open the door for me or said anything. I was holding two heavy boxes each time. If I asked something, the guy looked clearly annoyed at me. Jesus, it was my first time to NYC. I just asked the post office workers instead. If they weren't there...I would have given this hotel 5-stars.

Room Tip: Ignore the people who work at the door. The front desk people are way friendlier and tip them instea...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tee B
Dear Tee B,

Thank you for your kind comments about our customer service overall, and I am glad you loved your room! I apologize that you were not helped at the door with your boxes - this is an absolute basic that we should be doing every time, and we appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve.

Warm regards,

Connie
Rumson, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My stay at the Andaz was absolutely perfect! Staff was terrific, room was incredibly comfortable and spotless!!!! Location was just amazing and the amenities were a treat! Would return over and over again!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Arlette M
Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have been in this hotel for 3 nihts in August 2013.
The location is superb, within walking distance of Times Square, Empire State, Grand Central and all the 5th Av shopping.
The employees are really nice and helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them.
The free water, drinks and snacks is also a nice touch, more so if you consider how much you are paying to stay there.
The room is very good, the decor is clean, modern and urban, very suitable to New York. The highlight for me however was the superb bathroom. Excellent and big shower, 2 sinks. Nice colors. Very nice indeed.
The only complain I have was the breakfast price, way too expensive (40 USD per person), even for NY.
Will return again, without any hesitation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I really try to stay there everytime I go to NYC. The check in and check out processes are more casual, and fast. Mini bar is free (except alcoholic beverages). The shower is very relaxing and location is perfect. Unfortunatelly sometimes rates are very expensive.

Room Tip: Loft room is large!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Stillwater, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Andaz 5th Avenue has a great location and a helpful staff, but it's not a great hotel. The builders made some suboptimal choices. I like rainfall showers, but the designers didn't include a shower door. It looks like there's enough distance between the shower and opening to prevent splashing, but there's not for tall people. The shower area has sufficient room to move the shower head further from the opening; it's just bad placement. At night, the "blackout curtains" let a good deal of light into the room. It wouldn't have cost much more to install truly dark curtains, like Park Hyatt Seoul or even the Holiday Inn Solana Beach.

My stay also had noise issues. I had a low floor room facing the library, supposedly an "upgrade". Both nights, I was kept awake past midnight by jackhammers in the street, thanks to the city. That's short-term, but also at one point I heard music. I thought I had mistakenly set an alarm, but the sounds came through the wall for about 10 minutes. Unless Emily Ratajkowski was next door, Blurred Lines should not be heard that loudly.

While the staff were very helpful and supportive, including management after I mentioned the jackhammer, there's a difference between this place and Hyatt's truly 5 star properties (Zurich, Paris, Seoul), which is a shame because this building could have reached that standard.

Room Tip: High floors! Away from the street!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adam M
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Fantastic location right next to Grand Central Station & Bryant Park. Had a very comfy room and the staff/housekeeping were superlative! Thank you Anthony and company! Loved the organic black ice tea in the "freebie mini bar" and the Bigelow toiletries, too!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple