“INCREDIBLE! Can't wait to return!”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #88 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is beautiful! It is a boutique style and when you walk in it feels very intimate. The Front Desk agents act as concierge, bellmen, and more. They are friendly and welcoming - though we only stayed one night, they remembered my name. They offer free coffee all day (if you do not see it, just ask).

ROOMS: We were upgraded to a suite! What an amazing surprise... The Front Desk agent walked us up to the 12th floor and explained how everything in the room works and where everything can be found in this modern hotel. The suite has a pull-out sofa, full kitchenette with dishes and dish washer, nice size fridge/freezer, Nespresso machine, and microwave. Spacious closets and storage areas, safe in the bedroom closet and ironing board in the front closet. The living room had a desk and two coffee tables. Full length windows were very nice though our view was the top of surrounding buildings. King size Hyatt Grand Bed was super comfy. Bathroom was amazing! It has a "rain shower" with a foot wash and also a detachable shower head. Great water pressure. The bathroom is very open and spacious. The only complaint is there is no door to the shower or toilet so you have to be very comfortable with your travel companion (example - if one of you is in the shower and the other has to use the bathroom, you are going to see everything).

BAR: Last call is 11:30 on a Friday night which we thought was too early... Bar was very modern and the servers were extremely friendly. Did not eat in the bar as they were not serving food by the time we got there. The cocktails are decently priced for NYC ($14-16) and were DELICIOUS. I can never order a whisky sour anywhere else now that I have been spoiled there.

BREAKFAST: Delicious. Pretty expensive... two meals and two coffees was $55. But it was so yummy. Service was decent as well.

Overall an amazing stay. It was our first time staying overnight in NYC for pleasure vs. for business, and we can't wait to return. What a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melaniek533
Write a ReviewReviews (2,601)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel right across the street from the New York Public Library. Very convenient to Grand Central Station, Times Square and theaters.. Everything in the room was made for comfort---right down to the foot bath in the shower. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The only problem we had was finding the hotel. We drove into the city and our GPS gave us incorrect directions--- the best way to get to the hotel is from Madison Avenue, turn left on East 42nd Street, then left on 5th avenue and then left on Library Way. Stay left because the hotel is literally right around the corner on Library Way. Valet Parking was great --- we asked for and got our car at 5:30 a.m. Along with a smile and two cups of hot coffee at our departure. This is truly a great place to stay when you want to pamper yourself.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PSLPat
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here last night to celebrate my daughter"s birthday in the city. We got an upgrade and were given champagne to celebrate her birthday.

The suite was large, clean, packed with amenities. The staff was efficient and nice.

If you are looking for a great stay in the city, this is where you should stay!.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Traveler2121212121

It is wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay in our hotel celebrating your daugther's birthday. We take great pride to ensure all guests have a relaxing and memorable stay when they visit. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the upgrade and champagne. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,
Pete Reyes

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here twice (we went to Boston inbetween.) During the first longer stay we had a suite which was incredible! Huge fridge, mini dishwasher, fabulous bathroom! The staff were great and I felt very comfortable speaking to them. I think the lack of traditional desk helped with that. Our second stay was only for a night so we just got a room and were impressed with that as well.

Loved the room service menu!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Was upgraded to suite on 14th floor. It is fantastic. Minimalist design, but spacious and very comfortable. Bed is fantastic and the sofa bed is the most comfortable one my daughter has slept in. Definitely would stay again.

However, there is one issue. The WiFi is intermittent and very slow. I needed to download a large file from my office over VPN. It was taking forever and the connection would drop out before the download completed. I even tried a wired connection, but their internet provider was unable to get it to authenticate. I ended up using a tethered connection through my Lumia phone, which was both much faster and more reliable.

It is a good thing the WiFi was free, as it was certainly not worth paying for ...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My second stay at the andaz was as good as my first. It is a great boutique hotel wich is discerning and discret, in the best possible way. The only area that has improved is the resteraunt, which, in my opinion has improved since last year! The staff are all fantastic all of the time, except for one male member of staff on the front desk who could really do with leaving his sulky un-helpfullness at home! Thanks for another great stay andaz!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the andaz for my husbands 40th bday. I got a decent deal as a prepay at about 425 a night for the large king with view , room 702 to be exact . They bragged upon check in this was one of the nicest rooms of the hotel with the view of the library . I'd say the bathroom was the highlight of this room - awesome shower , double sinks , very modern. The grey walls made it appear dingy even though it was spotless. I personally love modern and minimalistic so I loved it . THe room itself was not "large" by typical standards but yes for NYC it was pleasantly roomy. I agree with previous reviews that the storage was not ideal . Instead of the little couch and put a dresser or some storage in. In terms of service , they were very kind but a few bumps were experienced - Such as not delivering all of our clothes to the room and it took three calls and locating the woman who checked us in (thanks Renee !)to locate them. It didn't ruin our stay because we were impressed with the kindness of the staff as opposed to other hotels with attitude . Housekeeping was great with 2 services a day. We especially liked "the bar" on level c - creative cocktails and great service . Location was perfect for shopping , hailing a cab and and fine food. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat but would like to try the splash suite !

• Stayed: June 2013