“The AWESOME Andaz 5th Avenue”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #79 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have just returned from an awesome stay in NYC at the Andaz hotel on 5th. It was a fantastic location for everything - five mins walk in most directions to all the major sights! The staff could not do enough, coffee on arrival, free wine between 5 & 9 pm, champagne in our room as a birthday surprise for my husband and constant recommendations for fantastic restaurants and eateries around the city. It was exceptional and we will certainly go back again and recommend to our friends. Joe and Joy were fantastic hosts and their service alone would make us not even question staying at another hotel when we return to NYC!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morgan2080
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Morgan 2080,

We are so glad to hear that you had a great stay, particularly for your special occasion!! Thank you for recognizing Joe and Joy's efforts to make your visit to New York memorable.

Warm regards,

Connie

Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed for two nights this past weekend. Unfortunately on the first night, the City of NY turned off their hot water from 8 in the evening until after 9 in the morning. We weren't given the memo, and the hotel's alarm woke us shortly before 7am when the steam was turned back on. They compensated us with food and drink credit and points to our Hyatt account which was acceptable. The room is huge and the bathroom is Asian inspired with three wooden doors to the hallway and a walk-in shower with a rain head, a regular shower head and a foot bath with a stool and foot soaking bowl. The view is of the NY Public Library...very nice. It's walking distance to Grand Central Terminal and Broadway which is also very nice. Service is great, but modern so don't expect a front desk in the lobby. Free Internet is very nice as is the complimentary mini-bar in the room. The room is very clean and the bed is comfy. A very nice experience even with the temporary inconvenience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here recently with a friend who ordered breakfast from room service one morning only to find HAIR cooked IN the food! Anyone who has stayed in as many hotels as I have would know that most hotels actually put more effort and quality into food sent via room service - this was not only sloppy work, it was absolutely disgusting.

Property appears to be clean overall but it's also new so infer what you will. Staff is helpful. Just avoid room service. Or eating here in general. (shudder)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank mabelsothern
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Mabelsothern,

I can tell you that I was probably as shocked as you were to hear this happened. This is the first time we have had an issue like this since we have been opened. We strive to work in the cleanest and most organized culinary operation in the city and our “A” from the NYC health department reflects that.

This issue is unacceptable to myself and my team, and we are putting steps in place to ensure this is the first and last time something like this happens.
I hope when your travels bring you back to NYC, that you give us an opportunity to show you what we are really about. I would be happy to cook for you and your friend personally, either for room service, in the shop restaurant or the bar downstairs.

Best Regards and safe travels,
Vincent Muraco, Executive Chef

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hands down the best out of the 10+ hotels I have stayed in within NYC. Only dust found was behind the flatscreen mounted on the wall.

I loved this hotel, had no problems whatsoever (well the stereo is not compatible with iphone 5's).

Terrific view, comfy bed, room to stretch out (XL King with View), good soaps, badarse bathroom and windows that open. I could only imagine living here.

To the people that think this place is where style outweighs function - you don't get it. The lack of labeling in the bathroom is a plus (really is it that hard to remember left hot right cold) next the bathroom is fancy and while there is not a separate door to separate from the sink/shower area I say you go down to the second floor and use the facilities there. But really the style and minimalist design is what you sign up for and what the hotel is about. There's plenty of space to unpack next to the frontdoor in the glass cabinet and my carryon luggage fit comfortable below one of the two glass shelves.

I loved staying at this hotel and can't wait to actually visit this place again and tell my friends to do the same. Actually I'm a HHonors Gold Member and have decided to go with the Hyatt Brand for my 2013 business trips so I can get an upgrade next time I'm in the city and get to enjoy the hotel.

Room Tip: I'd say choose a room with a view of the New York Public Library. It's beautiful.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chocokide

Dear Chocokide,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad you loved the view, design of your room, and service, and that you will be back in the future! By the way, we have now purchased iphone 5 adaptors for the Geneva sound systems - just let us know you need one, and we will send it to your room - or contact me directly and I will have one pre-placed in your room for every visit!

Warm regards,

Connie

Reviewed February 28, 2013

It's not often that I think back to a hotel with such good memories, especially as I only stayed for one night. This hotel is part of the Hyatt group and manages to combine all best features of a chain that works hard to be one of the best, with a style that is much more boutique. It reminded me of the lovely Scotsman Hotel in Edinburgh or the better end of the Hotel du Vin chain (eg 1 Devonshire Gardens, Glasgow) in the UK. The staff were helpful and the check in by i-pad was a nice touch. The bar was ubercool in an understated way. The specific request that I made (to make sure that my room had access to the channel that was going to be showing a tennis final featuring a Scottish player) was taken seriously (the hotel the previous day hadn't had all the sports channels) so I was a happy guest.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great, midtown NYC location - within walking distance to just about everything. Pleanty of fabulous restaurants nereby. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. The atmosphere in the lobby and restaurants is fun and confortable. The rooms are large by NYC standards with a modern and tasteful decor. The food is excellent. The Andaz 5th Avenue is at the top of my list of best places to stay in the city. The pricing is competive with hotel of like quality

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We recently had a fantastic stay at this hotel! I stayed here with my 7 year old son and my Dad, and it was remarkable from start to finish!

First of all, we all know real estate is about location, location, location. The piece of real estate it's on is very central, and within walking distance to many of New York City's attractions including Times Square. It's right across the street from the New York City Library.

The staff is very friendly and professional. They are well trained and very knowledgeable about the hotel and local attractions and things to do. I have only great things to say about them!

The toiletries are from 6th Avenue in New York City, and smell wonderful!

The accommodations are truly first class, and I very much enjoyed the view and spaciousness of our suite.

I was very impressed that when you leave they even have goodbye gifts for you. It's the extra touch that makes all of the difference.

I think it's really an incredible value for what you get, and we will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The suites are really quite large, and the balcony has a great view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family