“beautiful hotel, great location”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #87 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you need a comfortable, and elegant place to stay this is it! located in mid town, three blocks away from times square.. it is walking distance from all the shops.
The staff is super helpful, and the hotel is full of amenities.. they refill the fridge with water and sodas complimentarily.

the room was clean and comfy, the bed was delicious, and the bathrooms were beautiful.
it was a pleasure staying there, i would love to go again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank guila h
Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Andaz hotel on 5th Avenue is a lovely hotel in a prime location to most attractions and shops! The staff were extremely helpful and friendly especially our host Jennifer who couldn’t do enough to help!
The rooms were very large and we had a beautiful view of public library. They had almost everything you need! The only thing that may have been nice is a kettle and tea making facilities; however with free drinks and snacks in the mini bar as well as free tea and coffee downstairs, it is only a very minor detail. We had room service on a couple of occasions and the food was 5 star quality!! I can not recommend this hotel enough! Our trip was made extra special by the fact my fiancé and I got engaged!! Once the housekeeper found out, she sent a bottle of champagne and fruit to out room! A very lovely gesture!! I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to returning! :o)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nells
Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel in mid town manhattan this is the one. from the amenities to the staff
you will find no better. For me if its business or pleasure this hotel just makes it better.the restaurant is awesome and the staff is a pleasure to deal with. i have enjoyed business meeting and social gathering at this hotel. all to my total satisfaction. Every room comes with a bathroom larger than most new york hotel rooms. If you are traveling to New York this is the place to stay

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife, son and I enjoy staying at the Andaz. The rooms are big for NY. The service is excellent. And, unlike a lot of NY hotels, I don't hear a million other people when I am in my room. The gym is nice and well taken care of (not the biggest but it never seems to be crowded). The room service is fast and the food really good.

Room Tip: They have an interior set of rooms that are really quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just returned from a weekend trip to NYC. We stayed at the Andaz Fifth Ave. and it was the highlight of our trip. Everything from check-in to checkout exceeded our expectations. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We had two rooms - a loft and a suite - both of which were quite large (for NYC standards), modern and comfortable. The hotel is a perfect location to grand central, subway lines and shopping. It's also a short walk to tourist spots such as empire state, times square, Rockefeller Center and central park. Complimentary water, juice and soda in the room were an extremely nice touch, as was coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. We will be back every trip to NYC - thank you Andaz!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was traveling on business after CES. I had the flu (yes I know I should have stayed home). I got to the hotel left my things and went to work. I got back and was in horrible shape. I could not speak (no voice), high fever, the works! I got to my room and they sent me up chicken soup (the most amazing) and this special tea (OMG INCREDIBLE)! I could not get out of bed the next day. I had them bring me up the soup and tea repeatedly. They kept calling to check up on me and make sure I was doing well. The service is amazing and the staff is wonderful! The food is great! Lots of choices. Located on 5th across the street from the library, close to shopping and anything in the city. The property is not huge so you don't get lost in the shuffle. The rooms are gorgeous and beds are VERY comfortable. They have free beverages in room (water, tea, soda), spacious rooms, fabulous food (yes I am a foodie), restaurant and bar. The rooms have bath robes and slippers (memory foam). I love this place!!!

Room Tip: Log into Hyatt.com and make sure you join their rewards program!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Geekontherun
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Yes, it's beautiful, esp the bathrooms. Also, the rooms are massive and clean. Read the other reviews for accolades, here are my complaints about this hotel:

Although beautiful, the bathrooms aren't very functional. One reviewer mentioned that women may have a hard time putting on make up at the darkly lit sink area, but as a guy, shaving was no easy feat.

The sink is a rectangular bowl, and the faucet protrudes right over the center--it is absolutely impossible to do anything aside from washing your hands without splashing water everywhere--and I mean all over the counter, yourself, the hardwood floors...

The toilet is closed off by a typical shower stall door--no actual door = no privacy.

Yes, I know how amazing the black tiles are in the shower--but I didn't like stepping on the black tiles wondering whether or not I was stepping on mold.

Window view to the tub/shower from the bedroom has never made sense to me; they do this at the Standard Hotel as well. Definitely don't stay here with family or friends.

Overall, nothing irks me more than when designers or engineers choose form over function. Aiming only for aesthetics is downright lazy.

Even though this was probably one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at, I probably wouldn't stay here again, especially not over a weekend in NYC as the hotel is not very central.

Oh btw, the 14th floor is actually the 13th floor.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple