2,721 results
All reviewsbryant parkthe ny public librarysplash suitenon alcoholic beveragescomplimentary mini barnorth towernew yorkhyatt pointsrain showerlight switchesroom servicediamond memberhuge bathroomtimes squaregrand central stationthe check in processmodern hotel
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I liked the Andaz hotel... very contempory room with touch pad controls for lights, shades, etc... not fancy, but somewhat chic/modern. The shower required a personal tutorial with 3 modes... foot bath, rain shower and hand shower. I liked how the non-alchoholic mini bar items and internet are included... I don't like to be nickle and dimed in a nice hotel... just bake it into the price. Also liked the wine hour in the evening -- nice touch before you go to dinner. The bed was good -- soft comforter, plenty of pillows... pretty firm. I was also there for an all day meeting... the space was good and the luncheon was well done. Location was good -- in the heart, but not too busy. I would recommend it/ go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the other night to attend a wedding at the NY Public Library which is directly across the street. We had an amazing view of midtown Manhattan and, in particular, the library. The lobby of the hotel is small and has a residential and very welcoming feel to it. The staff is amazing - they can't do enough for the guests. I highly recommend a stay at the Andaz at least once for the view alone! We ate brunch in the hotel on Sunday morning, mostly for convenience. The food was good but there are better places (and less expensive places) if you are willing to venture out of the midtown area. I was advised to ask for a king room with a view for the next time to assure the fantastic view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. The 14th Floor suite was unbelievable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Selecting a hotel in New York is always a challenge - mostly old properties, insanely expensive, smallish rooms and most top recommendations on TA are around Times Square (not necessarily a bad thing, but some may not like living there).

Andaz is a welcome change!

Getting there / location
-----------------------------
Its right on Fifth Ave, opposite the NY library. So not very busy, but still very centrally located (on 5th, close to Grand Central, we also walked it to Penn Station - though you may be better off taking a cab).

Check-in
-----------
Very quick. It doesn't have much of a lobby, but frankly I rather have large rooms than large common areas.

Rooms
---------
We were two couples with a kid each, so we got the 2BR suite, which is highly recommended. It cheaper than getting two rooms, and its HUGE. Two nice rooms, with views of the library, empire state, and huge living room with TV etc and dining area. Very sweet!

Room service
------------------
Quick and efficient. They also have free internet and also restock the room bar with non-alco beverages and some snacks twice a day for free. All of these expenses would other wise add up, so factor this in mind which comparing room rates across hotels.

Also, best to book via the Hyatt website. You may get some sweet deals.

The summary is that its a great hotel. It is a new property, which means everything is new, its well located and has good service. Plus you earn Hyatt points!

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Higher floor and ask for views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I'm quite surprised that this hotel is one of the top-ranked in New-York on Tripadvisor. The only good thing about it is the location. It's perfect - you are in the heart of Manhattan and at the same time the area is not as overcrowded and dirty as Times Square for instance. However, it's the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

The lady who met us at the reception tried to be friendly, however as far as I understood she was just a replacement since they were understaffed. And of course, she didn't know the breakfast time and some other details, but that's fine. At least she tried to be nice. Even though we arrived at 4 pm, they didn't prepare the room and after 10 hour flight we had to wait before they cleaned it up and filled the minibar. The room itself was probably the biggest disappointment. Since I'm a diamond member with Hyatt, I usually get very nice rooms, when I stay at their hotels. They state that they will give you the "best room available" However, at Andaz they gave me most likely one of the worst. It was very small, with a view on an ugly inner court and worn-out furniture.

On top of it, most of the waiters at the restaurant on the ground floor are rude and unhelpful. Even though they can easily charge up to $200 per person for dinner, the quality of service is not there. And also on the next day after I checked out, I received a text from my bank saying that you card was charged for $75 by Andaz hotel. When I gave them a call, they told me that it was for breakfast on our last day. And they were genuinely surprised when I told them that breakfast is always complimentary for diamond members. So I had to wait for another week before I received my money back. And of course no one apologised for that.

So overall it was very poor experience and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Rooms at some other hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AntonLysenko
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear AntonLysenko,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience! This is certainly not the type of service you expect when you stay at our hotel, and I have sent you a message so that I can find out more details and make things right. Thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Connie

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I took my daughter to New York for a 2 night trip. We stayed at the Andaz using Hyatt points and she thought it was the best hotel she ever stayed in, and I have to agree. We were greeted immediatelyin the lobby with a warm hello and offer of a beverage. Checkin was smooth and since we were just a few minutes early we had to waitfor just a few minuteswhile the hostess checked with housekeeping to ensure our room was ready. We waited in a comfortable area just off the lobby and discovered a nook with 5 full shelves of hardcover novels to borrow during our stay. We were escorted to our room and the staff took time to walk us through the cool features of our "space" including touchpad light switches, shower with 3 options (footbath, rainhead or handheld) and the nicest bath sheet towels to wrap up in. The blackout shades would roll down with a touch of a button and we were lucky enough to have a small kitchenette area that included a fridge, freezer,microwave and mini coffee maker that made a nice cup of espresso. This area was stcked with soda and other drinks, I enjoyed the large bottle of organic green tea and my teen loved the fizzy organic soda, the Cocacola was just not as cool! In addition there were kettle cooked potato chips, a dark chocolate bar and one of the most delicious granola bars I've ever had. I saved the package so I can research them on line and order from this local N Y manufacturer. The best part is these snacks are that they are free and replenished each day. In addition,if you visit the lobby there is always coffee, tea, fruit and even wine at a nightly 6pm reception. Prior to our stay the hotel sent an email reminding me of our upcoming stay and asked if there was anything they ould do to make our tay more comfortable. I did respond and let them know we were there to celebrate my daughters birthday- on Friday there was a knock on our door and compliments of the hotel a beautiful piece of chocolate cake arrived with a personalized birthday card wishing her a happy day. All these touches made us feel welcomed and at home during our stay. After a hectic day of touring and running around we splurged on room service at 11pm (the hot dog from a street vendor at 5 was just NOT dinner, but shopping was her 16 yr old focus). The room service staff was courteous, eager to please and prompt. The Andaz is a great value for the money and I do p,an to return, it would ake a great trip with my husband as the hotel has a great bar (whichi was not able to visit this trip) and a nice location. Across from the New York Public Library and only 2 blocks from Times Square one way and 2 blocks fromGrand Central Station in the other direction the hotel makes a great homebase for exploring NYC.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear SheSaidHeSaidTrvlrs,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm so glad your entire family enjoyed your stay - particularly the lady of the hour:) We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Warm regards,