Andaz 5th Avenue
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
  • Fitness center
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$326
$271
  • Room Service
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$255
$239
  • Room Service
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$152
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$193
$135
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$187
$114
$167
$136
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$159
$120
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$100
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
$331
$297
2,646 results
All reviewsbryant parkthe ny public librarysplash suitenon alcoholic beveragescomplimentary mini barnorth towernew yorkhyatt pointsloft roomcomplimentary winerain showerlight switcheshuge showerdiamond membertimes squaregrand central stationthe check in process
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Selecting a hotel in New York is always a challenge - mostly old properties, insanely expensive, smallish rooms and most top recommendations on TA are around Times Square (not necessarily a bad thing, but some may not like living there).

Andaz is a welcome change!

Getting there / location
-----------------------------
Its right on Fifth Ave, opposite the NY library. So not very busy, but still very centrally located (on 5th, close to Grand Central, we also walked it to Penn Station - though you may be better off taking a cab).

Check-in
-----------
Very quick. It doesn't have much of a lobby, but frankly I rather have large rooms than large common areas.

Rooms
---------
We were two couples with a kid each, so we got the 2BR suite, which is highly recommended. It cheaper than getting two rooms, and its HUGE. Two nice rooms, with views of the library, empire state, and huge living room with TV etc and dining area. Very sweet!

Room service
------------------
Quick and efficient. They also have free internet and also restock the room bar with non-alco beverages and some snacks twice a day for free. All of these expenses would other wise add up, so factor this in mind which comparing room rates across hotels.

Also, best to book via the Hyatt website. You may get some sweet deals.

The summary is that its a great hotel. It is a new property, which means everything is new, its well located and has good service. Plus you earn Hyatt points!

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Higher floor and ask for views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I'm quite surprised that this hotel is one of the top-ranked in New-York on Tripadvisor. The only good thing about it is the location. It's perfect - you are in the heart of Manhattan and at the same time the area is not as overcrowded and dirty as Times Square for instance. However, it's the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

The lady who met us at the reception tried to be friendly, however as far as I understood she was just a replacement since they were understaffed. And of course, she didn't know the breakfast time and some other details, but that's fine. At least she tried to be nice. Even though we arrived at 4 pm, they didn't prepare the room and after 10 hour flight we had to wait before they cleaned it up and filled the minibar. The room itself was probably the biggest disappointment. Since I'm a diamond member with Hyatt, I usually get very nice rooms, when I stay at their hotels. They state that they will give you the "best room available" However, at Andaz they gave me most likely one of the worst. It was very small, with a view on an ugly inner court and worn-out furniture.

On top of it, most of the waiters at the restaurant on the ground floor are rude and unhelpful. Even though they can easily charge up to $200 per person for dinner, the quality of service is not there. And also on the next day after I checked out, I received a text from my bank saying that you card was charged for $75 by Andaz hotel. When I gave them a call, they told me that it was for breakfast on our last day. And they were genuinely surprised when I told them that breakfast is always complimentary for diamond members. So I had to wait for another week before I received my money back. And of course no one apologised for that.

So overall it was very poor experience and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Rooms at some other hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AntonLysenko
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear AntonLysenko,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience! This is certainly not the type of service you expect when you stay at our hotel, and I have sent you a message so that I can find out more details and make things right. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I took my daughter to New York for a 2 night trip. We stayed at the Andaz using Hyatt points and she thought it was the best hotel she ever stayed in, and I have to agree. We were greeted immediatelyin the lobby with a warm hello and offer of a beverage. Checkin was smooth and since we were just a few minutes early we had to waitfor just a few minuteswhile the hostess checked with housekeeping to ensure our room was ready. We waited in a comfortable area just off the lobby and discovered a nook with 5 full shelves of hardcover novels to borrow during our stay. We were escorted to our room and the staff took time to walk us through the cool features of our "space" including touchpad light switches, shower with 3 options (footbath, rainhead or handheld) and the nicest bath sheet towels to wrap up in. The blackout shades would roll down with a touch of a button and we were lucky enough to have a small kitchenette area that included a fridge, freezer,microwave and mini coffee maker that made a nice cup of espresso. This area was stcked with soda and other drinks, I enjoyed the large bottle of organic green tea and my teen loved the fizzy organic soda, the Cocacola was just not as cool! In addition there were kettle cooked potato chips, a dark chocolate bar and one of the most delicious granola bars I've ever had. I saved the package so I can research them on line and order from this local N Y manufacturer. The best part is these snacks are that they are free and replenished each day. In addition,if you visit the lobby there is always coffee, tea, fruit and even wine at a nightly 6pm reception. Prior to our stay the hotel sent an email reminding me of our upcoming stay and asked if there was anything they ould do to make our tay more comfortable. I did respond and let them know we were there to celebrate my daughters birthday- on Friday there was a knock on our door and compliments of the hotel a beautiful piece of chocolate cake arrived with a personalized birthday card wishing her a happy day. All these touches made us feel welcomed and at home during our stay. After a hectic day of touring and running around we splurged on room service at 11pm (the hot dog from a street vendor at 5 was just NOT dinner, but shopping was her 16 yr old focus). The room service staff was courteous, eager to please and prompt. The Andaz is a great value for the money and I do p,an to return, it would ake a great trip with my husband as the hotel has a great bar (whichi was not able to visit this trip) and a nice location. Across from the New York Public Library and only 2 blocks from Times Square one way and 2 blocks fromGrand Central Station in the other direction the hotel makes a great homebase for exploring NYC.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear SheSaidHeSaidTrvlrs,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm so glad your entire family enjoyed your stay - particularly the lady of the hour:) We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel has a very understated exterior. The subtle signage makes the building blend into the block. You really have to be looking for the hotel to know that it is there and once you are arrive it is not entirely clear as to where you enter. You enter the hotel into a very small lobby. Off to the right of the lobby is a nice seating area that I think the Andaz refers to as the Library. To the right of the lobby are bar height tables and chairs . Eight of us ended up gathering here for complimentary wine during Happy Hour. We checked in around 3pm and our rooms were still not ready. This was a little disappointing since I had requested an early check in but in their defense I was told that they were fully booked the previous evening.

Unlike traditional Hyatt's where there are clearly defined roles (i.e.. concierge, bellman, reception, etc.) the Andaz seems to employ generalists. The same person that checked me in also stored my bags, brought the luggage to my suite and later served us wine in the lobby. The staff goes out of their way to remember your name and did greet us personally several times throughout our visit. This was very impressive

The suite was of decent size by NYC standards and had modern decor. The room had a small fridge, microwave and even a dishwasher that were all concealed behind modern cabinetry. The Andaz provides a small quantity of complimentary snacks and beverages in the room. The living area had a very comfortable couch that folded out into an amazingly comfortable sleeper. The high quality King size mattress and high thread count linens made for a comfortable nights sleep. The bathroom is probably the highlight of the accommodations. The walk in rain shower provided seemingly endless hot water.

I have read some reviews that suggested that this might not be the most ideal location for families. In general I would agree but did notice that there were a number of travelers accompanied by well mannered children. We had our kids with us and they enjoyed the stay. Outside of the room itself there really isn't anything onsite that children would be drawn to but we were there to tour the city.

The restaurant is very small for a hotel of this size. We had to wait about 10 min for a table for breakfast. The food is tasty, locally sourced (in some cases) and very fresh. This property does not have a Regency Club and as such offers Diamond status guests a $75 food credit each day. This sounds like a lot but and is very generous but keep in mind $75 will likely feed 2 at breakfast.

If you are looking for a grand lobby or a wide array of activities this is not the place for you. If you enjoy a modern vibe and enjoy personalized attention this is the place for you. Upon departure, the staff offered a small complimentary gift

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the library. The standard rooms are quite small. Consider an upgrade
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Andaz New York for sure is new Hotel experience. Something great, good, mediocre, and bad. They want to be the best hotel, but they (in this authors opion) fall a bit short. The personal attention is something that they have figured out pretty well. Always someone to greet you and make you feel at home. There are casual uniforms and they want you feel as if they are your friends. I was told that management wears a tie, they the” front line” do not.
Wow, what a novel idea everything other than alcohol products are free in your room refrigerator. No longer do you have that obstacle in your room that you must avoid at all costs. Liquid wise you had a few choices, food was either potato chips or a granola bar that was it. Still better than nothing. Wi-Fi was included as it should be in all hotels.
Two Mediocre, I am a 65 year old male that suffers from sleep apnea. I have a cpap machine and I use it religiously. In a cpap machine you are supposed to use distilled water. Three out four people I talked to in the hotel did not know what distilled water was. Finally I did assure myself that they did not have any and I would have to find some myself. I walked to two Duane Reade Drugs stores that had no distilled water and finally had to go to a Walgreens in Times Square. I forgive you for not having it but please tell me where I can purchase some. I did attempt to call the hotel manager, not because I was upset but I thought that he should know the operator trying to protect the manager gave me the voice mail of his number two. Not good! You too should not have a tie.
A $75 breakfast was included with our reservation. Hard to believe $75, but again it was New York and I think an omelet was $17. On our last day we checked out early so they could get the room ready for the next reservation, even though we had about two hours until check out time and when we needed to leave. When I got home I looked at our credit card statement and found $89 charged to our bill for breakfast. $14 above the allowed $75, first how could that be and second why was this not included. We checked out to do the hotel as a favor and now I was being billed for breakfast. I called the hotel a couple of times and the staff were very courteous and took care of this problem.
There is “no free lunch,” the Wi Fi took me about 20 minutes to hooked up to when we checked in and later in the week (we spent five nights) I had to call there service once again.
The showers which the staff was very proud of, actually scared me. At 65 I am not as agile as I would like. The shower is large and I was fearful of slipping and falling. I do not want a handicapped room , but I think the shower could use a couple of safety bars.
Yes I would most likely stay again, if I had the daily room rate, but there are many choice in and below there price range to choose from.

Room Tip: If you are a senior check out the shower, could be great might be bad. A little cost saving advise. Outside the hotel our limos, great, but twice the cost of cabs. Better yet two blacks away are services to all the Airports for around $10 (Less for seniors and if you purchase a round trip) the Andaz staff will be glad to tell you about it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Postman83

Dear Postman83,

Thank you for staying with us, and for your candid review. I'm glad that you feel we excel in customer service and personal attention, but I would also like to address the areas where you feel we fell short. You are the most important part of our job, and managers at all levels are accessible to you. Often, we try to get you the speediest attention to your call, and our team knows who that is based on our schedule. However, I will make sure that we don't assume this and check with you first. As for your breakfast credit, I'm so sorry that you even had to inquire regarding this. Although I'm glad to hear we were able to resolve this with a friendly attitude, this absolutely should have been taken care of in advance, and I apologize that it was not.

Please feel free to reach out to me at connie.wang@andaz.com so that we can make a room assignment recommendation for you on the best shower to suit your needs, and assist in making your next visit a "great-all-around" one! Based on your information, I can also follow up with your wifi question, as we usually get very positive feedback on the strength and speed of our system.