“Stunning hotel... great staff!”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #86 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Perfect location! 5 minutes walk from the best shopping and direct walk to Central Park. Also a very easy journey from JFK. Stylishly decorated with equally stylish staff, they wear black, hold the door for you, don't miss a thing, go out of their way to ensure a perfect stay and they smile (unlike some hotels). We had a studio with floor to ceiling views of Bryant Park via NYC library.... all the city views... but yet silent inside! The room design was stunning... large, light, clean. I loved the huge granite shower with foot bath (perfect for walking the worlds most fun city). The gym is excellent, water and towels provided, cardio and weights... the staff can point you on some great runs up to and around Central Park.

I have stayed in many New York hotels, but this is the one I dream of at night! I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Just ask... no matter what!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HelenaMildmay
Write a ReviewReviews (2,600)

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed with my sis for 3days, at this hotel in November 2011. It was a great experience!The hotel is a very new property and the interior is very modern and sleek.There is a luxurious feel, without the 5 star hotel price!.I loved the hotel restaurant, the food is innovative and ingredients are all locally sourced. The bathroom is spectacular.I would recommend this hotel to a younger, fashionista type crowd. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank pinklady1177
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Location. Fantastic. 2 blocks from Grand Central.
I don't stay in many "luxury" hotels, but I have stayed in many hotels and this to me, was more on the luxurious side. Or upscale, at least. From the moment we walked up to the door, my son and I were greeted and our bags were taken. I was escorted to the bar and received a glass of wine and my son got some bottled water. Check-in was easy. Sure, there isn't your standard "lobby" and the staff uses iPads, but who cares?! Does that matter? Not to me. I didn't do anything but sit and sip wine until someone wanted to take us to our room. Which happened almost instantly.
Our room was awesome. Perfect space for a single mom with a 5 year old. Not sure why someone would think these rooms are small, they are adequate beyond. Besides, who goes to the City that Never Sleeps to....well, sleep? Or stay in the room for lengths of time for that matter. Mattress has pillow top, bed has down comforter and there are plenty of soft towels. After the amazing shower (which yes, the controls are kinda hard to figure out and yes, the water does get on the floor, again, who cares?!) we got to snuggle up in the cozy plush robes provided.
2 little BIG things that made me also wanna stay here... FREE WIFI and FREE Mini-Bar. Yup. FREE. That saved me probably about $20 or so since we were able to grab water or sodas or juice and take that with us for our outings. Snacks and treats too that my son loved. The staff even comes by in the mornings to ask if they can stock it again for you since its FREE. Awesome. Didn't eat anything here cuz you can go to one of NYC's amazing bodega deli's a block away and get a full pancake breakfast and omelette with hashbrowns breakfast for $8 that is tasty, so why order in? Save the $ and enjoy what this city offers best; cheap delicious food.
Anytime I called the receptionist, wether it be for hot sauce for the as for mentioned omelet, extra pillows or help with my bags at check-out, someone came promptly to service our need. They even stored our bags for us AFTER check-out so we could explore one last time before our departure.
Oh, and everyone always called my son by his name. They all remembered. Pretty cool for a 5 year old.

Room Tip: 1 bed rather than 2 means more space...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Enz_503
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I love this hotel. It's stylish and hip, but not pretentious or snobby. The staff was very friendly and helpful, both in the lobby and in the restaurant. They went out of their way to make sure we were happy and comfortable throughout our stay.

My room was beautifully designed, comfortable and very spacious. It had a loft feel to it because the ceiling was very high and the window was large. Gorgeous bathroom with a HUGE shower. Large towels, ipod charger and a FREE mini bar (expect for alcohol).

It's in a great location right on 5th Ave. Bryant Park and the New York public library are across the street, Grand Central Station is around the corner, and Empire State bldg and Time Square are within walking distance.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed November 12, 2011

The scene: As Hyatt fans, we got a Hyatt Visa card last year and used it to pay for our wedding expenses, including multiple Hyatt stays and expenses for the wedding itself, at the awesome Hyatt Regency Boston (see a previous review). The Big Draw of the Hyatt Visa is 2 free nights at any available Hyatt anywhere. As our Mini-Moon and my wife's birthday (4-0), we used our nights in NYC.

We wanted to stay at the Grand Hyatt New York both nights, but they were super booked, so we had to "settle" for one Andaz 5th Ave. night. We wish we could have stayed there BOTH nights. And a few nights more. And a few more!

Because we let the hotel know of our Mini-Moon and birthday celebrations, they graciously upgraded our room. To a PALACE of a room, the Splash Suite. I suggest getting the Splash Suite if at all possible. It is AMAZING. The bathtub??? It is beyond awesome. The lit foot bath in the shower??? Are you SERIOUS? A foot bath??

So if you are considering the Andaz, you've probably been to their website and have read some reviews. You know it is hip and mod, and that they give you drinks when you check in, and that the GM is a Fashion Maven, and that the walls are works of art, and that there is a book lending library, and that the amenities in the room are awesome, and that you get snacks and free non-alcoholic bevies in a fridge in your room, and that there is a manager's reception with wine in the evenings. None of that is news. But a couple of things surprised me.

1) It was raining when we were there. No, POURING. The staff pulled out dozens of those classic black umbrellas for guests to use while wandering the city. How considerate is that?

2) The room was wired for cool. Lighting controls were cool. Controls for the blinds were cool. Lots of places for plugging in phones and laptops. All cool.

We LOVED the Andaz 5th Avenue. LOVED IT! (not so much the restaurant, but that will be another review)

Room Tip: Get the Splash Suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bonnie29609
Reviewed November 12, 2011

When in the city, there is no better place to stay than the Andaz. The staff is simly incredible, the service stellar and rooms chic and comfortable. It is the perfect place for a weekend away. One of our favorite hotel anywhere!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eppyhow
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The check-in process is amazing. You do not have to stand in line. They sit you down, bring you a drink and check-in with an iPad or equivalent. Very fast check in service. The rooms are very nice and showers are amazing. 5 star plus! Great location too!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business