“We wish we could have stayed forever...”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #85 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 12, 2011

The scene: As Hyatt fans, we got a Hyatt Visa card last year and used it to pay for our wedding expenses, including multiple Hyatt stays and expenses for the wedding itself, at the awesome Hyatt Regency Boston (see a previous review). The Big Draw of the Hyatt Visa is 2 free nights at any available Hyatt anywhere. As our Mini-Moon and my wife's birthday (4-0), we used our nights in NYC.

We wanted to stay at the Grand Hyatt New York both nights, but they were super booked, so we had to "settle" for one Andaz 5th Ave. night. We wish we could have stayed there BOTH nights. And a few nights more. And a few more!

Because we let the hotel know of our Mini-Moon and birthday celebrations, they graciously upgraded our room. To a PALACE of a room, the Splash Suite. I suggest getting the Splash Suite if at all possible. It is AMAZING. The bathtub??? It is beyond awesome. The lit foot bath in the shower??? Are you SERIOUS? A foot bath??

So if you are considering the Andaz, you've probably been to their website and have read some reviews. You know it is hip and mod, and that they give you drinks when you check in, and that the GM is a Fashion Maven, and that the walls are works of art, and that there is a book lending library, and that the amenities in the room are awesome, and that you get snacks and free non-alcoholic bevies in a fridge in your room, and that there is a manager's reception with wine in the evenings. None of that is news. But a couple of things surprised me.

1) It was raining when we were there. No, POURING. The staff pulled out dozens of those classic black umbrellas for guests to use while wandering the city. How considerate is that?

2) The room was wired for cool. Lighting controls were cool. Controls for the blinds were cool. Lots of places for plugging in phones and laptops. All cool.

We LOVED the Andaz 5th Avenue. LOVED IT! (not so much the restaurant, but that will be another review)

Room Tip: Get the Splash Suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bonnie29609
Write a ReviewReviews (2,588)

Reviewed November 12, 2011

When in the city, there is no better place to stay than the Andaz. The staff is simly incredible, the service stellar and rooms chic and comfortable. It is the perfect place for a weekend away. One of our favorite hotel anywhere!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eppyhow
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The check-in process is amazing. You do not have to stand in line. They sit you down, bring you a drink and check-in with an iPad or equivalent. Very fast check in service. The rooms are very nice and showers are amazing. 5 star plus! Great location too!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2011

All attitude and design above all. Unfortunately this precludes almost anything one would actually require from a real hotel or a genuinely trained staff. Neither of which this over-designed trying too hard place is, in the hands of true amateurs.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Nealbaradh
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I have stayed in many NYC hotels and this is now a firm favourite. Fantastic size rooms. We were on the 9th floor and it was whisper quiet which is super important. Love the decor, love the staff. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Poor service - staff with a bad attitude. Computer check in is not acceptable. Waiting on line to be greeted by a computer. Restaurant is too expensive for what you get and staff is far from friendly. Had to beg for bread which was stale and thrown at me.

• Stayed: November 2011
5  Thank Anne M
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Travelled to NYC for a conference and stayed at the Andaz 5th Avenue between October 13-16, 2011.

I'm nit sure what sorts of rooms or service people encountered with the reviews I've read here, but I have nothing but positives to say. From the speedy check-in by the tablet-toting gal who also showed me my room and its amenities, to the fast room service meals (had great breakfast and dinner), to the folks who seemingly come out of nowhere to open the door for you as you're leaving, I thought the service was top-notch.

And don't get me started on the room. I had booked through Hyatt's website. I had found a sale on expedia.ca for the Large Suite, but knew that Hyatt had their "we'll beat a price you find by 20%" policy, so got what turned out to be a large and lovely room for just over USD$400 a night.

Imagine my surprise when I check into the room and it had an incredible terrace/balcony!! In Midtown!! I didn't read anything about the large suites having a terrace, and it was magnificent. To be able to step outside during a nice weekend and sit on a massive lounger and read the newspaper while looking at the Midtown cityscape and the library was great.

The room itself was spacious, comfortable and stylish. There was the usual "free snacks and drinks" system they had (liked the chips and not having to pay for water). There were two large flatscreen HD televisions, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. There was the iPod docking station, which was great as I could wake up to my own music. And then there was the bathroom.

Oh, the bathroom. How I wish I could tear you down and pack you up to bring home. The rain shower and hand-held unit were great, as were the double sinks and the toilet tucked away. And for those of you who have read the reviews about the lighting and switches to control the lights and the drapes, etc., please note that Andaz is inthe process of changing all the lighting and updating the fancy-pants switches. The lighting was terrific in the bathroom, so all the folks who said you couldn't shave or do anything in there, it is all changing.

What I look for in a hotel when I'm away on business is something that is comfortable and that doesn't detract from what I'm doing, and Andaz 5th Avenue sure delivered. Heck, complimentary wireless Internet would have been good enough, but the services and amenities really threw it over the top for me. Would recommend it highly, especially if you can get the room with the terrace (I was in room 1107).

Room Tip: Room 1107 was wonderful with terrace/balcony
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business