“One of the very best hotels I've stayed in”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #85 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have just returned from a week-long trip to New York. My family and I stayed in the Andaz, and it was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever enjoyed.

The design of the hotel is very striking, a lot of dark colours, indirect lighting and unusual woods giving it a modern, tasteful but also understated feel. Rather than the usual palatial lobby, the entrance and the common areas are a series of medium-sized spaces. The hotel has been designed with a particular philosophy in mind: the staff could barely have been more helpful (even when pushed to ask, on the eve of the New York Marathon, if we could have a slightly later checkout time) and friendly. The free drink time was very welcome, as was the opportunity to take all the soft drinks and snacks from the minibar. Wifi is, of course, free and there were quite a few computers littered around for free use. The bookshelf with a fair amount of reading material was a nice touch.

Location-wise, the Andaz 5th Avenue is, well, slap bang in the centre of the universe: 5 minutes walk from Grand Central, 10 from Times Square, and at the beginning of the serious part of 5th Avenue up to Central Park. But it is easy not to notice the hotel as it is tucked away, discretely, on a corner opposite Bryant Park with minimal signage. You can't fault where the hotel is.

Coming with 2 children, we took the smallest suite. I don't regret in the slightest paying more for a breath-taking room that housed us all comfortably. The room had all sorts of amenities, from a microwave, iron, cofee machine, even a dishwasher! For New York, this was seriously spacious but nevertheless packing in a lot. The two beds (one a foldout) were huge.

After a hard day's walking around New York, it was lovely to relax at the hotel. If I was to return to NYC I would definitely go back to this hotel. Now if only it had a swimming pool....

Room Tip: With two medium-sized children we did very well to take one of the suites.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,588)

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Excellent place to stay- great rooms with such high ceilings it feels like even more space than it really is. Great service, nice amenities including super comfortable bed/pillows, super soft towels/robes, and lots of "free stuff" you'd be overcharged for elsewhere. What I would've liked would be more water pressure in the shower and a soaking tub for my whole body, not just the feet (walking around as much as we do in NYC just requires soaking- shower only isn't nearly as satisfying). Still- other than that, very happy overall. Night manger Steven remembered our anniversary and treated us to champagne- salut!

Room Tip: Ask for a high up floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have stayed at a vast variety of New York hotels and the Andaz 5th Avenue of by far my favorite. I could go on and on about the rooms and guest amenities or what an amazing location the hotel is in but what truly made this exceptional is the staff. The service far exceeded my expectations. I do want to call out a few people who really made my stay wonderful. Jenny, my host at check-in, Ramon in guest services and Connie, director of rooms. They are all outstanding. I didn't encounter a single employee who wasn't warm, welcoming and gracious. If you have a chance to stay here, do it. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main tower otherwise you will have to take the elevator to the 2nd floor and w...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Brentlyfll
Reviewed November 3, 2011

New York City is a vibrant and exciting city, at the same time people are frustrated about the very limited nice choices NYC has on offer when it comes to hotels. Andaz is Hyatt's fresh take on putting the customer back into the center of attention. With free WiFi and a free in-room minibar this hotel is a great choice for people looking for convenience without paying through the roof. Three nights in the hotel's Splash Suite are the best choice for people that wanna pamper themselves and the free-standing bathtub is the highlight of this Suite. The ambience is more like an apartment, I like the residential feel. Rainfall shower, high ceilings, lots of natural light and Bigelow amenities make for a different 'hotel' experience. Staff and service are fabulous and for breakfast they serve Grumby Coffee - what a difference! This hotel is younger and hipper than its peers, at the same time luxurious and accommodating. Loved my stay here and will be back for sure!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed November 2, 2011

So we arrive at the hotel and seriously it is beautiful, we walk in to our rooms and apart from having no wardrobe space there lovely, the bathrooms are spacious and spotless! We go down stairs and ask a simple question for example... a nice restaurant for dinner? and the staff are completely clueless, Jess who we seemed to get lumbered with was so lazy, seriously you could get blood out of a stone easier! I really feel that with the right staff this place could be amazing!!! We normally stay at The Roosevelt and I really wish Mr Hyatt would go and poach the staff as they are fantastic! If you go in and don't speak to anyone you will have an amazing stay! However I must say the maids and room service men are fantastic... Maybe give Jess a day with the maids to learn some manners?! To top it off she ends up charging us twice for our stay!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We have stay at Andaz 5th Avenue for 5 nights. This was our honeymoon trip to New York and we want, like any honeymoon couple everything to be more than great and Andaz hotel and the staff make our stay exceptional!
I and my wife looking for a boutique hotel too stay because old fashion hotels really aren’t my style. So after a long time search and e mailing to many hotels we decide to stay at Andaz 5th Avenue.
So, I booked a suite room from Hotels.com because the price I found is about the half that Andaz site give.
Before we visit the hotel I have already contact Ms Connie Wang for some questions that I have and inform her that this will be our honeymoon and if they can make for us something special will be great for us. Always the response was more than fast and our questions answered in a top level of customer service.
So, the day that we’ll be at NY has come. We land at JFK airport and we take the cub to the hotel. The driver didn’t know the hotel by each name so it is better if your driver didn’t know the Andaz just tell him to take you to the NY public library at 5th Avenue, trust you don’t miss the hotel it is right across the library.
From outside the hotel didn’t look so fancy but wait till you get inside.
When you enter the lobby you might find it a little weird because there isn’t any lobby.
There is a rectangular desk with 2 laptops and people with tablets in there hand.
The concierge employ welcome us and take us to our room.
I have told him that we have already spoken with Connie and we wait for our honeymoon surprise and then after he enters the room we see ourselves the surprise.
We have been upgraded from suite to a Splash suite! So! What is the difference!
The difference was huge! Splash suite was one the best rooms I have ever stay in my life! There is a large tub in the middle of the room and an extra seating area when you enter the room. The free mini bar (not the alcoholic) and wifi was more than great.
The bathroom was huge and has everything you need. The view from the room that was on the 8th floor was the best. From the bedroom we see the public library and from the tub you see the Empire State building. I must not forget the gift from the concierge, a bottle of wine.
The hotel is about 5 to 10 minutes from Times Square and everything is in walking distance. We didn’t eat breakfast or at the restaurant so I cannot say anything about that.
I see at some reviews give negative about the touch control switches. We find them very cool and of course a plus for the room. Very good also is the Geneva sound system right next to my bed if you have an Iphone.
The only negative during my stay is that when I check in I leave cash as a deposit because my reservation is already prepaid and I prefer to leave 500$ deposit.
The bad is that when we check out, about 05:00am, they didn’t have cash to give me back. So, we have to wait about 15 to 20 minutes to find cash. The shift manager, that is what I understand he did, went to an ATM machine, take money from his account and give us. Not a major problem but a delay during the check out might loose a flight.
Because this was our honeymoon trip and the Andaz 5th Avenue hotel staff makes our stay very special, not only because of the room upgrade but with their smile and always happy and willing to help you I must say again thank you and congratulations to any each of them. They deserve that.
Great job Connie thank you again in person.

Room Tip: Email dirrect to Connie if you have any questions.Upper floor rooms always better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Love the new check in and seemless one person from door to room consistency. Bar in basement serving very well done drinks with taste and artful assembly. I was surprised how quiet it was in the room and how quickly the hustle bustle of NYC melted away in the ultra coolness of the room and super trick bathroom. I enjoyed the property and every one of the staff was helpful and extra friendly. The only thing I didn't like was the bagel served with killer smoked salmon. The "baker truly doesn't like bagels" said hotel staff. Hates them... so an english muffin with a thumb print plays 'bagel'. It just isn't what I expected... but in NYC you can have the best bagels in the world - just not at this hotel. That was my only complaint. The in house smoked salmon was epic and I quickly forgot the brick that it came with so BYOBagel. Boutique service with National chain points was a winner for me.

Room Tip: Higher floors should be quieter but don't expect a view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple