“Thin veneer of customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #70 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Thin veneer of customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I usually stay at the Gramercy Park, but this time decided to stay at the Andaz to try something new. I have no complaints about what happened during my 3-night stay. My gripe is about how the hotel seems to have brushed off a complain about missing items which should have been delivered to my room

Prior to my arrival I did quite a lot of purchases online and arranged for them to be delivered to the hotel prior to my arrival. As it subsequently transpired, not all the boxes were delivered to my room. (This has never been a problem at other hotels). When I arrived home and went through the list of items, I discovered that two boxes had been delivered to the hotel but not my room. Despite submitting proof of delivery, the hotel’s response has essentially been “your boxes are not here, so there isn't much we can do”. After complaining that this was not on, they claimed that they would check with the transport company and review video footage of parcel deliveries. However, the silence has been deafening. It has been almost a month now and there has been no resolution and very little communication. In terms of building customer loyalty they have failed miserably. Never again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank Paisa_on_the_go
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Paisa_on_the_go,

I'm so sorry to hear that we dropped the ball when it came to finding your packages! This is unacceptable, and you are right....certainly not our service standard. I hope you will contact me directly at connie.wang@andaz.com with more information so that I can follow up.

Warm regards,

Connie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

The total package. Great location (across the street from the New York Library/Bryant Park), beautiful rooms, superior service (though at times it felt as if some of the staff were tripping over each other to take care of us). The ice-cold water on arrival was a huge bonus on a 100-degree day, and the personal tour of the room as we checked-in was welcoming, and necessary (given the tricky light switches and the non-traditional "free drinks and snacks" policy). Overall a great overnight stay

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed July 22nd with 3 friends as we were going to see the Yankees play. First of all, the hotel was beautiful and clean. The one thing that was a bit strange was that there wasn't a typical front desk area. I must commend Jef Sommer (our host). He did everything, checked us in, showed us to our rooms, arranged transportation to Yankee Stadium. He was awesome and a main reason we had a great time. The rooms were great, nice size for NYC. The bathroom was amazing, especially the shower. The bar downstairs was great, the people there were very friendly.
The only negatives were that we stayed only one night and that is was 104 degrees.
I'll be back to NYC in the fall with my family and this will be the place we stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Glad to hear you had a great visit! Thank you so much for recognizing Jef's efforts to make your visit memorable!
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

So, how's this for customer service....

Today's a pretty hot and humid day in NYC. The all-time record high for this date in NYC is 106. Today was 104.

Diamond GP member here. I have a reservation for tomorrow...it's supposed to be nearly as hot. I booked an award reservation for my parents...both of whom are in their mid-70s.

I called to cancel the reservation. I just don't think it is safe to have them in the city walking around doing tourist activities. I fully admit I am within the 24 hour cancellation policy. This trip has been planned for a while and they were really looking forward to it. Yes, I could have cancelled earlier. I realize that.

Despite the extraordinary conditions the manager, Florent, would not let me cancel the reservation. The Diamond desk called and he refused. I finally called personally and he still refused. After a long conversation he relented and said he would make a "one-time" exception...but, this wouldn't have happened without much effort by the Diamond line and my call.

Thoughts?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank brxbmrzfan
Dear Brxbmrzfan,
I'm sorry you didn't feel that we did not truly empathize with your situation even though an exception was granted. We do want you and your parents to come and experience our hotel, and hope you will contact me directly so that we can further assist!

Warm regards,

Connie
calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed for a couple of days of shopping en route to a conference in Bermuda. Evening glass of wine and morning latte served complimentary made me feel at home. The free treats from the mini bar really made the stay special. A small thing really, but when I am travelling, I drink less water than I do at home and end up feeling rotten. The easy availability of the beverages kept me going all day and night! Very quiet and comfortable rooms. Never did figure out the fancy shower though. The location is not bad but walking is required to get to any shopping or museums.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travelsalotCalgary
Cortland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed there for 3 nights and loved it. Definately non-traditional, but we loved how it was modern and hip. Host Eric and Manager Connie made us feel at home and took care of making sure our stay was memorable. We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Murray, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed at the Andaz hotel for 7 nights and it was great. The hotel is very clean, secure and the staff is very welcoming and friendly. They do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable. The assistant manger Laurent took care of our check in, he was very pleasant, very helpful, and gave us a great impression about the hotel. The rooms are very large for NY city. The negatives are: the lights are very dim in both the room and the bathroom, 2) they should provide a better quality of toilet paper.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
I am so glad to hear you had a great experience over your week long stay with us. Thank you for recognizing Loren, our Assistant Front Office manager, for his efforts to make your arrival smooth and comfortable. We are currently completing soft renovation of our bathroom lighting, and we are looking to be finished in September. We look forward to welcoming you back and showing you the new settings.