“Our new go-to hotel for NYC”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #82 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wayne, New Jersey
“Our new go-to hotel for NYC”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The total package. Great location (across the street from the New York Library/Bryant Park), beautiful rooms, superior service (though at times it felt as if some of the staff were tripping over each other to take care of us). The ice-cold water on arrival was a huge bonus on a 100-degree day, and the personal tour of the room as we checked-in was welcoming, and necessary (given the tricky light switches and the non-traditional "free drinks and snacks" policy). Overall a great overnight stay

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed July 22nd with 3 friends as we were going to see the Yankees play. First of all, the hotel was beautiful and clean. The one thing that was a bit strange was that there wasn't a typical front desk area. I must commend Jef Sommer (our host). He did everything, checked us in, showed us to our rooms, arranged transportation to Yankee Stadium. He was awesome and a main reason we had a great time. The rooms were great, nice size for NYC. The bathroom was amazing, especially the shower. The bar downstairs was great, the people there were very friendly.
The only negatives were that we stayed only one night and that is was 104 degrees.
I'll be back to NYC in the fall with my family and this will be the place we stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Glad to hear you had a great visit! Thank you so much for recognizing Jef's efforts to make your visit memorable!
new york
Reviewed July 22, 2011

So, how's this for customer service....

Today's a pretty hot and humid day in NYC. The all-time record high for this date in NYC is 106. Today was 104.

Diamond GP member here. I have a reservation for tomorrow...it's supposed to be nearly as hot. I booked an award reservation for my parents...both of whom are in their mid-70s.

I called to cancel the reservation. I just don't think it is safe to have them in the city walking around doing tourist activities. I fully admit I am within the 24 hour cancellation policy. This trip has been planned for a while and they were really looking forward to it. Yes, I could have cancelled earlier. I realize that.

Despite the extraordinary conditions the manager, Florent, would not let me cancel the reservation. The Diamond desk called and he refused. I finally called personally and he still refused. After a long conversation he relented and said he would make a "one-time" exception...but, this wouldn't have happened without much effort by the Diamond line and my call.

Thoughts?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank brxbmrzfan
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Brxbmrzfan,
I'm sorry you didn't feel that we did not truly empathize with your situation even though an exception was granted. We do want you and your parents to come and experience our hotel, and hope you will contact me directly so that we can further assist!

Warm regards,

Connie
calgary
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed for a couple of days of shopping en route to a conference in Bermuda. Evening glass of wine and morning latte served complimentary made me feel at home. The free treats from the mini bar really made the stay special. A small thing really, but when I am travelling, I drink less water than I do at home and end up feeling rotten. The easy availability of the beverages kept me going all day and night! Very quiet and comfortable rooms. Never did figure out the fancy shower though. The location is not bad but walking is required to get to any shopping or museums.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travelsalotCalgary
Cortland
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed there for 3 nights and loved it. Definately non-traditional, but we loved how it was modern and hip. Host Eric and Manager Connie made us feel at home and took care of making sure our stay was memorable. We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Murray, Kentucky
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed at the Andaz hotel for 7 nights and it was great. The hotel is very clean, secure and the staff is very welcoming and friendly. They do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable. The assistant manger Laurent took care of our check in, he was very pleasant, very helpful, and gave us a great impression about the hotel. The rooms are very large for NY city. The negatives are: the lights are very dim in both the room and the bathroom, 2) they should provide a better quality of toilet paper.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
I am so glad to hear you had a great experience over your week long stay with us. Thank you for recognizing Loren, our Assistant Front Office manager, for his efforts to make your arrival smooth and comfortable. We are currently completing soft renovation of our bathroom lighting, and we are looking to be finished in September. We look forward to welcoming you back and showing you the new settings.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I stayed at the Andaz for 4 nights. The staff were very accommodating, the facilities were nice, there was a bit of a trek to get to the rooms as you have to use 2 elevators but it was not much of an inconvenience. On the main floor the restaurant/cafe was well designed and served good food. The rooms were modern and tastefully decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The large asian inspired shower room was my favorite part. If I had to say something negative it would be that the light control panel next to the bed was quite complicated and that the desk chair although visually interesting was very uncomfortable to sit for more than 5 minutes. And the room service breakfast was not very good but the hotel had not been opened long so I think there need to be a grace period to let things get settled. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try and get the suite room that overlooks 5th Avenue and you have a great view from the NY Library t...