“Great experience in midtown NYC”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #88 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockholm
“Great experience in midtown NYC”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed a week at Andaz 5th Avenue in one of their Grand Suites. The room was very large with a nice living room, bed room and bath. Very clean, very stylish. Service at hotel was exceptional. The staff took care of every detail without any fuss. I can strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
san francisco
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel based largely on so many positive tripadvisor reports. I have to add one that's not quite as positive because I don't think the reports accurately describe this hotel. It's the first time I have really disagreed with tripadvisor reviews. This hotel has the potential to have 5 stars but it's not a 5 star hotel right now. It's a 3 star hotel. There is no question that the staff is eager to please and very aware of the customer but that doesn't make up for the problems. Each member of the staff that we met tried to help, but the hotel has sacrificed comfort for style and our family wouldn't return until they make some changes. We combined business with vacation during this trip. This is an expensive hotel. The suite pricing creates an expectation of service and comfort, so it becomes a question of value compared to price. We have loved many of the village hotels for the modern design but they tend to also be comfortable. In this area, for the money I would stay closer to Central park in a hotel that can provide a good business and leisure experience. If you are looking for a romantic weekend and aren't in rush for any reason, this is likely a good fit. If you are traveling for business, it's not a good fit and it's not a family friendly hotel.

Pros

Clean rooms with larger than average space. Our suite felt like a mini apartment with small kitchen area. Wonderful extras like free mini bar drinks, complimentary evening wine, coffee and water bottles complimentary all day, free wifi. Cool modern feel to the space.

Cons

~While this is a great location across from Bryant park for walking or subway, it's horrible for taxis. Very frustrating. After being late to a meeting, the the hotel advised that cabs are always impossible to get as their entrance isn't on 5th Avenue but it's a side street. Finally I hired a private car for the rest of my work day. We found that taking a cab NEVER worked from the hotel during our stay. We would have to walk up to another hotel to get a taxi.

~Very dark rooms in the evening - so dark in fact that it was impossible to read or do email. (The second evening, we were given a lamp that helped in one room but they had a waiting list for lamps.)

~Lightening, in general, is horrible however large windows give great lightening in the day time. Lighting is in two centralized locations in the suites and requires you running your fingers across a panel to turn on and off.

~Bathrooms was awkward to say the least with no light switch in the toilet area - switch is a good 6 feet away. Not so easy to find in the middle of the night. Faucets are ill placed and not easy to use. Showers are large but no privacy as they are part of the bedroom area with no door or wall.

~Restaurant menu is smaller than you would expect for a hotel of this price. Requesting any food "off menu" isn't easy to do.

~No children's menu. Simple requests like plain pancakes (they offer poppy seed) can't be accommodated which is surprising as you would think the pancake batter starts off plain. (Staff apologized over and over for this and sent up a treat but it's odd all the same.)

~Shipping and Receiving is not set up for business travel. One Package was delivered to the hotel at 9am but delivered to the room at 4pm after multiple calls. One came immediately (the day after) as I had raised the concern. I needed to fedex a reply and was directed to an off site location to send out the item as they were very busy at the reception area and not sure of pick up times. Again - many apologies.

~No bell staff in the evening. We had a late evening arrival (coming from the West Coast) and there was no one at the door to help with bags nor to help with bags up to the room. Staff does however come up to show you how the lights and curtains work in the rooms. There is bell staff during the day and people at the door. You expect bell staff for this price to help with luggage regardless of the arrival time.

~Not sufficient soundproofing. Air conditioning units in the suite were very loud. Traffic outside (busy 5th avenue) was louder than expected. Most hotels use drapes to absorb sound but this hotel has modern window coverings, automatic but not practical.

We voiced our concerns to the staff and they couldn't have been more apologetic. They told us that they were well aware of the lighting problems and the lack of taxis. Apparently they have a regular town car service that's supposed to come by to service guests. For the room service menu, I was told it was the first time someone had asked for a children's menu and they don't cater to that demographic. They did comment that the small kitchen in our suite with microwave, fridge, and dishwasher seemed to work for most families. I agree that's a lovely feature but there is no store near by so it was not something we were able to utilize and the suggestion of going to Whole Foods (15 blocks away) wasn't something we had time to do. Business service issues apparently will be fixed shortly and it's a staff training issue as they don't have a lot of requests. Also aware of sound and at some point some rooms may have windows replaced for thicker glass. This is a hotel that's small by NYC standards - under 200 rooms, with a very eager to please staff so I hope that they work all the kinks out.

For the price, we would stay elsewhere until they figure out how to make it more comfortable. Again, I want to stress that this hotel could be lovely. It just wasn't during our stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank 4familySanFrancisco
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to hear you had a great impression of our staff and that we were eager to make your stay a great one. However, I'm sorry that there were a number of cons that would prevent you from coming back unless they are fixed. The good news is that we are working very diligently to brighten our rooms, and particularly the bathroom. We will also changing the lighting switches you mentioned, and making sure that they will be much easier to read in the dark. We are also diversifying our transportation options to make it easier for all of our guests, including attracting more taxis to the hotel. Thank you also for the menu suggestions, which we will review! Please feel free to reach out in the future, so that we can choose a room for you that will meet everything you need!
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Great designed hotel in a good location. Service were friendly always and genuinely helpful. Having free wifi throughout was a big plus. And a nice place for coffee and breakfast on the ground flood was convenient and good. Even better ad it's free for Diamond members.

• Stayed June 2011
london
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We arrived a little after midnight and were greeted by a lovely 'host' who offered drinks (too tired) and took us straight up to a large one bed suite. We were travelling with our 12 and 11 year old children and the host immediately spotted that this room for the disabled, did not have a bathroom door and would be unsuitable. After a short wait he took us to another suite on the 11th floor which we loved. It had a huge balcony with a huge revolving daybed on it and as the weather was (very!) hot while we were there, we spent a lot of time enjoying the balcony with a view out towards the Bryant Park Hotel. The one bed suite had a huge sofa bed in the living room which was very comfortable. And the kitchenette including a fridge freezer made preparing snacks and drinks in the room very easy. There was two large cupboards for hanging clothes and a large set of drawers and open shelving in both bedrooms for more clothes storage - plenty of space for the four of us.
We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning and there was a good range of options available, such that it never got boring! The skillet options were particularly nice! The early evening free wine offered in the library was a nice touch also, and we enjoyed a glass of chilled white after returning from the heat of the day. The other welcome relief after a day spent pounding the streets, was the foot bath - both my daughter and myself used to race each other back to the room to see who could get to it first! The location of the hotel is fabulous - plenty that you can walk to and a subway just across the street if you need to go further afield.

The only negative point is that they shut the bar at the hotel over the whole of the weekend, and although it was nice to sit in the library we would have liked to have had the option of the bar available to us!

All in all, I would recommend this hotel very highly to people - we will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the 11th floor have balconies
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank soapbox1964
Thank you for sharing! Glad to hear you had a great stay!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave on our first ever trip to NYC and if we are ever fortunate enough to return in the future the Andaz would be our hotel of choice. We arrived to the Andaz exhausted from an overnight flight from San Francisco and unprepared for the cold weather we were greeted by friendly and attentive door men who immediately took our bags and similarly mannered 'reception' staff who swiftly organised coffee's for my husband and I. The room was very large and spacious which we believe is unusual for New York hotels and was beautiful appointed and very modern. The bathroom was admittedly dark but not problematically so and was stocked with great bath products. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with beautiful linens. The Andaz offers a complimentary mini bar (except alcoholic drinks) which is restocked daily. The staff were always friendly and our host organised us Knicks tickets within 30 minutes of us requesting them and they were slipped under our door later that afternoon. The Andaz is in the perfect location - walking distance to 5th Avenue shopping, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Broadway. We truly loved our stay and have recommended it to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SJM061
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I stayed here from 29-31 May. I am a very frequent business travellers although I do not travel to the USA as often as I do in Asia and Europe. I am also fussy about where I stay and although I am a Platinum Hyatt Gold Passport member I will only stay at a Hyatt Property if I find something I like. My last few visits to NY were usually at the Essex House, Peninsula, etc because the Hyatt properties in NY were not up to par, eg Grand Hyatt in NY is literally too big to be conducive as a home away from home in terms of service and room quality. This was my first stay at the Andaz propery and I must say it was a great experience. The rooms and bathrooms are wonderful, service was genereally of a very high quality and beds very comfortable. The hotel may be trying to be a little too hip and I am the sort of person who stays at the Park Hyatt properties but I must admit that I liked the overall experience especially the superb location and service. Well done to the GM Jonathan and his team.

In fact I am back in NY again for a day and just checked in again and was upgraded to a suite. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Tenafly, New Jersey
Reviewed June 2, 2011

A modern stylish hotel suited to business travelers and tourists alike. From the moment we walked into the hotel to the moment we walked out, I really can't think of anything that was bad about the hotel. The service was perfect throughout our stay. I have stayed at many hotels around the world, and the staff at Andaz were the most friendly and efficient I have seen to date. There is no reason to stay anywhere else in NYC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family