“Joey was great! Amazing experience”

Outside In Walking Tours
Ranked #196 of 642 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: At Outside In Tours, we don't just show you the sights that make our city great; we bring history to life with fascinating stories. Our licensed guides are the best in the business. Our mission is to bring outsiders in to see New York City from a local’s perspective. Our private tours offer the best New York experience possible. We deliver that personal touch to ensure you will find a tour to fit your needs
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I planned a day in NYC for my son's 17th birthday and while I've been there on day trips for business, I never had time to explore the city and I wanted my son to have the best experience possible since it was his first time to NYC. I realized getting a tour guide would be a better idea than spending my son's birthday navigating (getting lost in) the subway system. I decided on a tour guide two days before my trip - got a reply from the folks at Outside In right away - I couldn't believe how accommodating this company was in the 11th hour... we really lucked out as they are usually booked.
Joey, our guide, met us right at the train station and we were off - he took us to all the spots we wanted to see and to many others we didn't even know about that were more fun (to see, to hear the history of, etc.) Joey knows the city like the back of his hand - and the wealth of knowledge he has (history, movies, famous people of NYC/current and past, etc.) of NYC made me suggest that he might want to go on Jeopardy! He was fun, energetic and he and my son hit off right away - they had a lot in common, especially movies (Joey is an EXPERT on any/all films made in NYC - my son ended up saying that was the best part of the trip, learning about all the movies, seeing places where his favorite movies were filmed, etc.)
I am so happy that Joey accommodated my request that he tailor the tour as a "little bit of everything" instead of a specific tour package - we saw so much more than I could have dreamed of and learned more about the city/its history than I could have imagined.
I highly recommend these folks to anyone who wants to get the most out of the city in a day, a weekend, whatever - they do an excellent job of giving you a true NYC experience
My son had THE best birthday thanks to Outside In and especially thanks to Joey!!
Much Love -
Beth and Talon, Philadelphia

1  Thank Beth B

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have just returned after a fantastic tour of Downtown Manhattan with Ava. She was a fantastic guide who really tailored our tour to meet our needs. She was super with our older teenagers and they are both really impressed by her. They loved the walk and my eldest boy is a big Jimi Hendrix fan so she made sure we visited where he played. She had so much interesting information, history and facts. There is no way we could have found our way to the places we visited today on our own. It is definitely value for money. You must do this to see the real New York. It made our holiday. Fantastic.

1  Thank Aloyise
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We took a walking tour of New York with Ava on July 23rd. She was fabulous! She sat with us before the tour to understand exactly what we wanted to see and she went out of her way to make sure we did everything on that list. Her personality was amazing! My 14 year old and 8 year old LOVED her. She included them in all aspects of the tour and made it fun for them! (they especially liked the subway)Overall I will recommend Ava to anyone traveling to New York. We saw more in one day than we would have been able to see in a week on our own.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We travelled to New York in June 2012. Family of 5 (kids - 19, 16 & 13) We decided to arrange a private walking tour on our 1st day in NY to learn how to use the Subway and familiarise ourselves with this over whelming but fantastic City. Frank our Tour Guide decided to show us the 'best parts' of 'Upper, Middle & Lower' Manhattan....we were not disappointed! We were totally exhausted by days end but it was so worth it. We were confident to discover the more of New York for the rest of our stay without any worries. Thank you Frank...we all enjoyed the day very much! I am just sorry that it has taken so long to leave this review for you!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family of five (hubby, me, 3 boys ages 15, 12, 9) had a wonderful tour of NYC last week! The boys had never been before and we wanted them to have a "preview" of the city, seeing some sites they'd heard about, along with some that were new. Our guide, Lee, met us in the lobby of our hotel and off we went....by foot and subway on a great tour. Correspondence prior to the trip was easy as OIT wanted to make sure our experience was what WE wanted it to be. It was a hot day and we were all exhausted at the end, but the info we learned and things we saw were incredible. The boys loved Lee and as a teacher and mom, I was impressed at how he kept their interest, both with sites to see and various pieces of info and trivia about the city. I highly recommend this to families as a way to engage your children in discovering the city. Money and time well spent. You will not be disappointed!!

1  Thank Melissa G