“Inspirational and Educational!”

NYC After-Dark Photography Tour
Ranked #19 of 644 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Want to take home great photos of your NYC visit? Join NYC Photo Safari for a unique photographic experience to sharpen your photography skills. Led by published industry professionals, our photo walking tours of New York are for small groups & individual photographers; from beginner to advanced amateur levels. You'll take home skills and memories for a lifetime.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This wasn't my first visit to New York, but most definitely one of the most memorable, thanks to Zim! I somehow manage to accumulate an excessive amount of worthless photos that I end up deleting, and was in need of guidance- so with a free day in NYC, I thought I'd give Photo Safari a try. I'm so glad I did, I can confidently say I was able to successfully learn how to take meaningful photos, not only with a camera but my phone as well! I've always wanted to take some sort of photography class in high school or college but never managed to make time for it, and this has given me the confidence to further explore photography. Even if photography isn't a passion, your travel companion or innocent bystander in need of a photo will be grateful!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I can't wait to go back and do another Photo Safari with Zim! She was phenomenal and the knowledge she instilled in us will be used for years. I learned so much about my camera and photography composition, I feel inspired to take more photos everywhere I go. We did the Central Park tour and since I booked 4 people (my parents and husband) they even offered us a private tour. I really appreciated Zim's approach to teaching us as well, "That's good but why don't you try this angle." Boom, that was the shot! It was taking my average photo skills to the next level and now I want all the photos to decorate my walls. She had a very real style of teaching and explained every camera is a great camera... It's the person behind the lens that matters. I love the photos and can't wait to do it again on my next trip to NYC! I wish I could lessons from her on a regular basis, she was that good. Highly, highly recommend NYC Photo Safari for your next vacation!!

1  Thank Lauren P
Reviewed December 10, 2013

When I was planning my trip to NYC, I stumbled across the NYC Photo Safari website and thought I'd take a chance to see what it was all about. I decided to do the Iconic New York tour in the hope that I'd be able to take home a memory card with all those iconic photos that we all wish we'd been able to take.

On meeting at Grand Central, Zim walked a small group of us through the Midtown, taking shots of many of the sites, including the Chrysler Building, Times Square, and the City Library. Not only did she teach us how to set up for the better shot, she made it look easy. It didn't matter whether we were using a DSLR, a point-and-shoot or a smartphone - everyone was (eventually) able to score themselves 'that' shot.

Zim was a lot of fun to learn from - whether it was how to adjust your settings for the lighting, or how to get that perfect NYC Taxi photo. One of the most important shots she taught us all was the "Best Friend" shot - which is so important when travelling with friends.

This is both a great way to see the city and learn how to get those amazing photos.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I took the Iconic New York tour. There were only three participants including myself on that day. Our instructor was Zim. She was enthusiastic, energetic, and so very helpful. As we walked through the tour Zim would model for us, taking shots that we would try and copy. She was always positive in her critique of our photo's and provided a lot of information to help us achieve the best shot. Zim was also very knowledgeable of our individual camera functions and we were all using different brands of SLR's. I was at the time considering a purchase of a new camera and as I learned new things on the tour I got a much better idea of what features I wanted in the next camera. The tour was fast paced, the attractions were interesting, and she had a great deal of knowledge not only about the photography but of the attractions as well. I felt I received a good deal of attention from Zim and I came home with some great photographs.
I would highly recommend photo safari and I look forward to taking some of the other tours offered.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I am an amateur photographer and wanted a little more experience. Tired of taking the same low quality picture every trip I thought this would put me above your everyday travel photographer. And I was RIGHT. I could not have been happier with my experience and results of my classes.

I took a couple of safaris during my 3 day stay in NYC and am looking forward to my next visit for more safaris and to expand my skills. The instructor was amazing, answered all of my questions and challenged me to step up. I was impressed with the way I was taught how to take images and how to make consideration of my subjects instead of just arbitrarily shooting hoping for a good shot when I got home. I now have better understanding of my camera, lighting and focus.

I will never shoot a squirrel again!

Now I can brag about all of the places I have been in style.