“A great idea!”

Small-Group Photography Walking Tour of NYC
Ranked #19 of 620 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join NYC Photo Safari for a unique photographic experience to sharpen your photography skills. Led by published industry professionals, our photo walking tours of New York are for small groups & individual photographers; from beginner to advanced amateur skill levels.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Melbourne, Australia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A great idea!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I did the city buildings tour that goes up Top of the Rock. Unfortunately the weather wasn't that great. I'll probably do it again, I've heard The High Line tour is great as well.

Visited September 2012

• Hebrew first
Salem, India
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“U S trip”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Wow! What a city they are having good traffic system. People of all countries. City is clean and rich multy storied buildings.

Visited September 2012
Montreal
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“What a day!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked a private 5.5 hours tour with New York Safari in July 2013 and it was a great experience! From my first contact with Katie, I was able to get all the information I needed to ensure I would come correctly equipped and ready for a great photography workshop. All the instructions to meet with Zim were clear including a number to call in case of a problem. Emails were quickly replied in a very professional manner. Great organization guys!

My day with Zim was awesome. After reviewing technical aspects of photography, Zim quickly assessed my level of knowledge, gave me 3 rules to live by that day and off we went! Since I seemed to know enough technical stuff, Zim concentrated mainly on composition and I learned so much in just one day!. We followed a route around NYC based on what I had requested to see but everything is very flexible. At every stop, Zim would ask me to take pictures and then give me feedback, pointers, etc… We only left when I had a picture I liked. She also showed me some new techniques, talked about the applicable laws, threw in some history and interesting facts about NYC, answered my questions and taught me how to get people out of my shots :). Zim is very knowledgeable, fun and an excellent instructor. A top notch photographer and person!

The experience was intense in the sense that for almost 6hrs, you have to come up with compositions, ideas, listen to critiques and pointers, and then apply them but all in a very instructive and fun way. But if you don't like to be on the spot (I jokingly called it "pressure to perform" during the tour) you might want to go with a group or not take a 5.5 hours private tour. Also, I ended logging over 20,000 steps, so be ready to walk a lot! All this being said, I'm pretty sure Zim would adapt the tour to your expectations and physical abilities so take the last comments with a grain of salt.

3 Thank Genesis99
Lake Forest, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NYC Round 2!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was back in NYC visiting friends this summer and decided to join another photo safari. I had another amazing experience. Last year, my instructor was Mark and this year I had the pleasure of having Zim. She was awesome! Very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. It was a great follow up to my first photo safari last year. I will definitely be back again next year. I would recommend NYC PHoto Safari. I always make sure to tell my family and friends about this safari when I hear that they are going to NYC.

Visited July 2013
NYCPhotoSafari, Guest Relations Manager at New York City Photo Safari, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear GoLAkers24,

Thank you for writing another review about your experience with NYC Photo Safari. It's always great to have participants return for a second Photo Safari. We're glad that you found your second experience as valuable as your first.

We'll look forward to seeing you again next time you are in NYC.

Diane
NYCPS
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent course”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you want to learn exactly how to twiddle every button on your camera, this is not the course for you. If, however, you want to take brilliant photos of NYC's iconic landmarks and know which the crucial buttons on your camera to twiddle are, this is the course for you.

Zim is an excellent instructor, and although the course is for SLR users, all the composition techniques she teaches are obviously useful whether you are shooting using Canon's latest super-SLR or your iPhone. Highly recommended.

(This review is for the Iconic New York course.)

2 Thank Reviewer340